1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I Hate Brady, But He is Right

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Skuzzlebutt, Oct 25, 2010.

1. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    And maybe that’s coach Norv Turner’s fault. Certainly his responsibility. New England quarterback Tom Brady more than hinted as much, throwing a shout-out to coach Bill Belichick, when asked about his team’s mental mistakes (or lack of them).

“Coaching,” he said. “From the time we walk in the door, (Belichick) talks about eliminating bad football. That’s stuff Foxborough High School can complete — wide open throws, snap count violations or dropping the ball when you haven’t been touched. The day we started training camp we run laps around the field for stupid plays like that.”

I don't like Brady or his idol, but this illustrates for anyone that doesn't blame the head coach for a team's focus. I know players play, but the coach is the one who instills the work ethic, motivation, focus and discipline. This team as a whole has none of that.

How long is the list of players that have made simple and stupid mistakes this season? What is one common thread among all these players? Their coach. He is the one who has taken his self proclaimed best team ever to a 2-5 record.

EDIT: This is from Canepa's article: http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/2010/oct/24/go-ahead-and-assume-chargers-season-dead/

2. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He is 100% right

3. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Please can we get Bill Belichick as our newest Head Coach.

I agree with Tom Brady just like Denverbot67.

Discipline is the key to success.

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Just curious, where did you get that quote?

5. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Definitely sad when I guy I despise is right. :( Going to be a long 10 month till next season...

6. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    I agree with you that the next 10 months will be disappointing - I am just afraid that the way things look right now - it's going to be a lot longer than 10 months that will be a disappointment.

7. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Maybe it's time for the fans to put a crimp in the bottom line....if making money is really more important to the owners and to management than fielding a consistant winner capable of winning the Lombardi, test the theory....put a very concerted and visible effort into not supporting the team financially...gear profits, beer profits, ticket profits,concession profits, TV rights profits (cut the attendance and watch them squirm when those revenues go away) parking fees, and everything else the owners take to the bank on a regular basis might need to be significantly and negatively impacted...stop buying and attending. You won't break, but maybe they will...at least bend to listen to fan feed-back and to actively work to make the team a perrenial winner..not the perrenial losers they have become.....harsh but true.

Hit them in the pocketbook...they've had it real good for decades...still no Lombardi.

8. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Just a thought. What is the percentage of seats sold at a game needed to sustain a pro team, keeping it to breaking even? Is it really the economy? I mean, look at the Faiders, they barely get 30,000 fans showing up for a game in a 60,000 seat stadium but they remain afloat like turds in a toilet... There are other teams too, like Bufallo or Jaxsonville that only have a handful of fans attending. I believe that our example in San Diego is that we have a few fans that attend, but because the culture and diversity of the community (military town, transient relocations from other states) we are always guaranteed a good number of fans from other teams to fill our seats. Of course, that's not mentioning the fair weather or bandwagon fans that only show up when we are winning. When was the last time that the stadium was filled with nothing but Chargers fans? The Jaxsonville game? The SheLi game a few years ago? Some of the seats next to me always have fans from other teams.

Pointy

9. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56

Come on, give Norv some credit. You don't think for one minute that before each game as the players are walking down the tunnel that Norv doesn't yell out...."And remember.....hold onto the ball fellas". :lol: :lol: :lol:

10. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Brady is right.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    If he preached it and reinforced it in practice, he wouldn't have to. When a kid doesn't do their homework, it isn't because the parent isn't telling them to do it, it is because they are not reinforcing it with repercussions when they don't do it. Kids with good parents do their homework without being told to because that is what is expected. A player-coach relationship is very similar

12. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    I don't think that strategy is going to work on a team owner who's already seriously considering moving the team to another city. :(

13. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    Or maybe it's because the owner wants the fans here in SD to give him the official kick in the *** seal of approval to get the hell out of town... A la "Major League."

Pointy

14. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    You are one wise dog :)

15. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I said this last year and got booted off SOSD for it. I mean run out of town with pitchforks.

I guess if it comes from you it's now ok.

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Last I checked, this was not a SOSD site. You can say what you want about owners, mgnt, coaches, players. Just don't attack posters.

17. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I don't hate Brady. Good QB. Keeps it in his pants.

Belichick I hate. He's a cheater. He has three Lombardis that should have asterisks stamped on them. Don't get me wrong. He runs a tight ship, he's a great coach, and his championship teams were very very good. But cheating is what got him three Lombardis.

And I agree with Brady. These types of mistakes start at the top.

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    ITS NOT! Crap... wrong forum...

19. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I understand where you're coming from but bad example I think. I parent tells a kid to go do your homework and the kid has no distractions while in his/her room doing said homework. Not if Norv is preaching ball protection (which by the way Goodman says he does all week) he is going to "try" and do so, however he has defenders smacking the **** out of him trying to knock the ball out. It's easy to run thru a bunch of guys in practice trying to knock the ball out but when someone does it real time in a game when you don't expectthe hit....then someone whether player or coach or both aren't doing what they get millions of dollars to do.

20. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    I have not invested in the team in for ever. No memorabilia, not nothing. Hell I don't even get the Sunday ticket anymore (boy am I especially glad I didn't get it this year).

This team doesn't get a red cent from me until they prove they want to win. I still follow them, but I don't pay them.

21. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    That crossed my mind.

22. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275

Right on... we're trying like he!l to keep the team here... but the team and coach don't seem to give a sh!t about winning. ... it's a catch 22

23. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Quote from Norv......my take is.....he's trying to finish something he never starts. Sure would be nice to march down the field every now and then and score on our first or even second possession.

“It’s frustrating,” Turner said. “One of the things we talk about is finishing.”

24. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Forums are mini Nazi states.

This is why you should post while altered so when the guillotine falls, it ain't nothing but a thing.

25. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I've been around these forums for awhile and never has there been a more annoying poster than this lightemchump. I'm seriously considering a long hiatus until the they fade away.

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Give me all your Boltcash for safe keeping while on hiatus.

There are some posters I just go into automatic gloss over their post mode. It works like a charm as a filter.

27. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    And that really sucks for everyone except those pocketing the profits.

I'm still out as to Norv. I don't know the Charger coaching culture well enough to make any kind of comment except he has not had a great stay in San Diego, and the talent is aging, leaving, and getting hurt. Maybe it is time the entire coaching system and staff changed. The present system has yielded an uindisciplined, mistake prone team loaded with talent but unable to win when it really counts.

28. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    Buck, I get the theory of what your saying, but it is hard to do in reality. If I stop going to games, my season tickets are already paid for and I am the only one who loses. If I sell them to opposing fans or other Charger fans, nothing is gained. I could give up the seats for future years.....nope not gonna happen. For non-season ticket holders it is easier, but I think it will just result in a higher percentage of opposing fans in the crowd and more local blackouts. Going to games and tailgating is hard to give up especially if you can't watch at home.

Out of curiosity, before Big Tuna and Bill came to NE there were some pretty ugly years. What was attendance like? Did the NE fans stop supporting their team when they were down? I have always had respect for the fans of the Browns who show up year after year knowing it is hopeless and cheer like crazy. I also believe that if a business wants to make money they need to provide a quality product before I give them my money. It is not an easy black and white issue for me.

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    There are work arounds to watch blacked out games at your home in San Diego. Register a Directv Box out of state with a friend or relative and use it here or get a slingbox and set it up with a friend out of state. There are work around galore. Do not let the burrito king beat a fan down. This is Year 2 for me not attending and so far so good....and I am a 50 year fan of this team....20 years or so not missing a game etc etc.