1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I hate to ask about Seasquaks game, but...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Fouts, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Is it sold out?

2. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
  3. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    DOH!

4. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    also, according to Acee, if there's a blackout it won't be shown in tape delay since it's an ESPN broadcast

5. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Good ole Internet + laptop + hdmi cable... Too bad not HD.

6. BOLT POWER

BOLT POWER Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +13
    where and how on the internet? I gotta try that this year. couldn't afford the season tix this year

7. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Damn, I didn't even think about a blackout. :(

Does Sunday ticket show all the pre-season games?

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Blackouts effect sunday ticket as well as cable.

9. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    Sunday ticket doesn't show pre season OR blacked out (locally) games.. I did see that it will be re-shown on NFLN on Saturday I believe

10. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    i still think this should have been one of the things they fixed in the new CBA, blackout crap is stupid

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Why would the NFL change it? They are making a ton of money because this forces people to buy tickets. This will not change unless the owners get pressures from the government

12. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    They should have DEFINITELY voided it for the pre season. Just 2 weeks ago we didn't know if we were going to have football, now here we are. To expect ANYONE to pay face value for a pre season game is fuggin NUTS, not to mention having to fill up a stadium with 2.5 weeks notice is crap.

I understand the reasoning for blacking out reg season games, but pre season, mixed with the lock out is horse schitt.

13. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Yeah I think a 1-2 week grace period on the blackout BS would of been sweet since the lockout did affect ticket sales. Oh well, guess I will have to watch it on Saturday or maybe on a mobile device for Sunday Ticket.

14. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    good news: Tijuana cable (ESPN) is not subject to blackouts, bad news: I'll be working :(

15. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Because they make the largest portion of their revenue off of... wait for it.... TELEVISION! So they are blacking out their home base market, as well as grabbing other prime areas like LA to black out as well. They need to get modern. The blackout rule was modified in the early 70's when crotchety senators in DC didnt like the Redskins games being blacked out. The NFL used to black out ALL home games regardless of sell out or not.

They need to modernize, and stop punishing their fanbase especially in this economy after they jacked away the entire off season.

16. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    This particular game is nationally televised, but normally, a blackout hurts the local TV stations, which is hardly community friendly. Have the Chargers even addressed the "obstructed view" seats issue? It's ridiculous that they would still count seats that they have no business selling in the first place.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I have no idea about the obstructed seat views.

But you are discussing apples and oranges. The Blackout rule is an NFL policy. The number of seats in a teams stadium is
    a team deal. Once a team sets the number of seats they cant change it. For instance one team had to cover a section of seats a few years back (tarped them over). Once the season started the NFL would not let them uncover them to sell the seats. Its weird, but one is a team deal, the other is NFL.

18. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I thought I remember hearing back when they created the club level seats, that these seats don't count toward any sell out as well .. There seems to be a more of a sell out threat since that time .. Am I mistaken?

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I know sell outs are getting harder to come by the last 3 years. there was a time that the Chargers guaranteed a sell out because the cit y would give them a break on the rent of Qalcom(sp?) for each seat not sold out. Those days are gone though.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    How is it apples and oranges? If the Chargers are including seats that nobody wants, is it really a surprise if they have trouble selling out games? I've heard that there are over 1,000 obstructed view seats...... any coincidence that there are usually at least 1,500 tickets left?

Obviously, this game is unusual, since it's coming so soon after the lockout ended, and it's a Thursday night game. It's not surprising that they've had trouble selling enough tickets in time.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I will type really slow so you can keep up... ;)

The Black out policy is a NFL Policy.

The desicion to include obstructed seats or not is a CHARGERS policy.

Apples

Oranges...

Got it?:rolleyes:

22. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    Those obstructed view seats are one of the main reasons why the NFL will not give San Diego another Super Bowl. Some people love those seats, especially those along the rails where they can get some major camera time.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    So, the NFL mandates which seats the Chargers are allowed to sell? All the Chargers had to do was request to have those seats covered...... which they should've done years ago. To blame the NFL for the Chargers wanting to push bad seats is faulty logic.

24. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    So now what do you want them to do? Those seats have always been there. If you put a tarp over them the TV cameras will pick up on that. From a TV veiwpoint you have fans right behind the teams which makes it look a lot more pleasing to the eye while watching the game on TV.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Are you being obtuse or just not reading what I am typing?
    The Chargers determine the number of seats and which seats they will be acountable for and report that to the NFL. THAT IS THE CHARGERS. They can not later in the same season remove or add seats.
    So you bringing up the obstructed seats does not belong in a conversation about the NFL BLACKOUOT POLICY! That is a Chargers policy. Does it factor in, yes, but that is set in stone before the season even starts.

The NFL mandates that a game not be shown in local or secondary markets if the game is not sold out. THAT IS THE NFL. Individual seats do not enter into the equation. They NFL goes off what the teams report. That is it. If you wish to discuss individual sections or seats seats, that is CHARGERS, not NFL.

I never said "NFL mandates which seats the Chargers are allowed to sell". Quite the opposite in fact.

Nor did I say "blame the NFL for the Chargers wanting to push bad seats". Get your head in the game.

Apples and fricken oranges!

I hate the Blackout Policy. It is archaic, and frankly does not serve the modern NFL that generates more revenue via television than they do by selling seats.

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,412
    You seem to be missing my point.

I know the seating is set before the season. What I meant, was that the Charger knew that the obstructed seats have not sold in the past.... they also knew that they were having trouble selling out the stadium last year. Therefore, it only seems logical that they would've removed those seats from the equation before the start of this year. Do you get what I'm saying now?

27. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    We need a cat fight smiley .. :roflmao:

• Like Like x 1
  28. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I get what you are saying. Chargers have sold out those seats. I believe H8er even indicated the bigscreen ho's like them because they get their face up on the jumbotron.

But it is the Chargers who made that desicion. We all know the Q is a junkpile and some seats blow. However the number of obstructed seats are minimal compared with 7k seats left to sale. So still I fail to see the relevance of your argument on the Blackout...

29. Chargerfn909

Ratings:
    +34
    TBH the obstructed seats may NOT count against the sell out. I know for a FACT that Club seats do not, so I am not sure. Either way those seats sell faster than most because people think its cool to be that close to the field. Its the damn upper view that nobody wants to buy

30. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I cant blame them. Some of those sections get far too roudy. My son and wife were up in the upper section by where Ant sits and bronco/charger fans started fighting, they almost rolled over the top of him the drunken jack wagons!