1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I have leapt onto the FIRE NORV Bandwagon

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Savage Lizard, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    When Norv got hired by the Raiders, I laughed at my Raider fan friend Mike and asked him what the f_ck they were thinking. He tried to defend the hire and I ridiculed him. Later, when Schottenheimer was let go, I told that same friend that the Chargers would probably hire Norv Turner just to piss me off.

I have never, ever liked him as our coach, BUT I hoped for the best and tried to have his back. When people like B4L and NORV4LIFE went on, and on, and on, and on about Norv I responded to their posts and asked them to give it a rest. Not because I thought Norv was a great coach and they were wrong, just because I was sick to death of hearing about it all the time knowing nothing was going to change anyway. Those guys will probably be the first ones to scream "SEE I WAS RIGHT" when the axe finally falls. But it was never that you were necessarily wrong, and that a lot of us also didn't dig the guy, we were just sick of your pissing and moaning.

I am now to the point where I am fed up. I do not claim to be a football expert, but I can see that this whole situation needs to be blown up. I do not feel like rebuilding needs to be a lengthy process, I think there are enough pieces in place to be respectable and maybe even contend in a weak division while the ship is righted. I think if good leadership is brought in and drafts start improving this thing can turn back around quickly.

I am not on the FIRE A.J. bandwagon, at least not yet. Those who point out his track record lately forget about his early track record. He built what was regarded by many as one of the most talented rosters in the NFL. Maybe he was reading too many of his press clippings, starting to think he could find all those diamonds in the rough, who knows. I still believe in A.J., but I hope he has the good sense to reevaluate his methods. Maybe not try to be so cute, just get the best guy available. Mix in some free agent signings to fill holes, and they don't all have to be bargain bin guys.

On the Chargers bandwagon since 1975 and not going anywhere! :tup:

• Like Like x 3
  2. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I have also jumped aboard, you can only stand so much before a change is needed.

• Like Like x 1
  3. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    all of a sudden the Marty 14-2 and 'no wins in the playoffs' sure feels much better than Norvitus.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Welcome aboard. Re-tread or budding HC in the making?

5. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I dunno, just someone different, with a fire in his belly.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Been on the Fire Norv bandwagon since 2009. Officially accepted I was during the Raider loss(one that snapped a 13 game win streak) last year.

I want to say AJ Smith is bad but I have a feeling it's he's attitude that is he's greatest downfall. If changes that than I would keep him. But since that isn't likely to happen and in any case the "keeping" of AJ smith would likely cause more comition in chargerville. I hope for a entire clean slate. That including most players I'm a afraid.

7. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I didn't like the hire of Marty either.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Man, the college coach thing is a crapshoot. Bobby Petrino, Lou Saban, Steve Spurrier, all guys who were great in college but didn't translate to the pros. Hot assistants? Kevin Gilbride anyone? Sh_t, who knows.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Until we change the mentality at the top, no HC is going to produce the result that we all want.

• Like Like x 3
  10. seau55

seau55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Exactly, as long as AJ stays he will just hire another YES MAN coach. We need a hard nosed coach that will kick players in the *** and hold them accountable, i dont see that happening as long as AJ is here.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I don't know that we need a daddy figure for the players.

We just need better players & a mentality that winning is AT LEAST as important as turning a profit.

12. Boltz

Boltz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I've been on the Fire Norv Bandwagon since about the 4th game in 2007, sadly. He never won me over in all those years. Good guy, seems like a nice guy, just a bad head coach and ruining this team. Good coaches lead teams to overperform, like Harbaugh and the 49ers, while coaches like Norv lead underachieving teams like the Chargers, such a shame what we have wasted

• Like Like x 1
  13. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I was on the 'Fire Norv Bandwagon' when he was hired.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    By "change the mentality at the top", I guess you mean AJ Smith, since Dean Spanos was castrated at birth.

15. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    Excuse me if this is old news or non news, but my wife sent me a text this morning telling me that she heard on the radio that Norv was being let go either today or by the end of the week. Is this why there are a few more "Fire Norv" threads?

I'm not trolling either. There is nothing I'd like more than confirmation that he's getting canned. Can anyone help me here?

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Never listen to your wife......... #imjustsaying ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. LaDeezie21

LaDeezie21 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    the hashtags....the friggin hashtags....:confused:

• Like Like x 1
  18. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    It would never happen at the end of a week. It would always happen on either a Monday or Tuesday. This way the new acting HC could have a little time to create a game plan. But I sure hope Norv is outta here as a HC.

19. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Thank Shawn Phillips....... #imjustsaying ;)

[​IMG]

20. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    It's getting kinda full on that bandwagon now. To be honest it's looking likely that we'll miss the playoffs, i'm not conceding because i still believe in my boys, but probability doesn't look so good for us right now.

Back-to-back seasons of missing the playoffs with easily the most talented roster in the division should get a head coach canned, and should put the GM on at least thin ice. Add in some recent draft misses and personnel failures, and he should be in trouble too.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    I think almost nobody wanted him hired in the first place. The difference is some people, knowing he was here for at least a few years, gave him a shot and hoped for the best.

• Like Like x 5
  22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I think the majority of people here were willing to give him a fair shot. And to be honest he did well with Marty's players and the cabinet full from AJ's best drafts from 2004-2006.

23. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That should be a strong indicator that getting rid of Norv alone won't solve the team's issues,no?

24. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  25. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Yes, but the "hate Norv all the time folks" will suck themselves off over how they were right all along, blah, blah, blah, like none of the rest of us had any idea it might turn out this way.

• Like Like x 1
  26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    John Basilone himself couldn't motivate these turds on defense to play tough, they'd miss to much choir practice.

27. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Upon further review, I haven't leapt onto anything in awhile. I have old man knees, so I probably slowly climbed onto the FIRE NORV bandwagon.

• Like Like x 2
  28. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    I have been wondering what the long term effect of Norv on this team and it's players will be. What I mean is that playing for this man in the prime of most of our guys careers and getting nothing to show for it... No AFC championship, no Super Bowl Ring... these guys are now at their peaks or just past and starting to slide. What do we build on now that Norv has wrecked this teams attitude? We went from 14-2 when he took over and slid each year and now we sit at 4-5 and sliding.

We are a softer team now- with a weak defense an a very predictable offense. The players have no fire. No one seems to want to win over all else. The team is unmotivated and if ever a definition of "just going through the motions" needs an example it is Norv Turner's Chargers. We show no spark and to coin a phrase from Coach Kintera... we seem to have only one gear... no matter what the score... we show no urgency to shift into a higher gear to win the game. Game after game as I watch our slow motion two minute drill I am screaming at the TV for them to hurry up. I mean what the heck are they waiting for? It's like they don't give a damn anymore.

Norv has proven to be an ineffective leader at every head coaching stop along the way and we've given him way too many chances to get his act together as a head coach. He's pissed away the careers of a lot of good charger players and they should be more pissed at norv than any of us fans are.

Essentially we have taken on the personality of our coach and as he has proven at Washington and again at Oakland he can turn a talented team into a group of underachievers in less time than it takes to say Ryan Leaf. It ticks me off to know that Norv took a good, up and coming team in 2007 and wrecked it. Just four years later and we're in dead last in the West riding as five game losing skid. You don't have to like Rex Ryan but you have to wonder if what he said about having 1 or 2 rings if he was the coach here in San Diego could have happened if he were hired instead of Norv.

• Like Like x 1
  29. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Rex also said, "THOSE TEAMS WERE LOADED" and he is right they were and he even in a roundabout way of saying that they aren't anymore.

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If a paycheck & personal pride can't motivate these guys going forward, screw 'em.

Maybe they can get a do-over on their potty training.

• Like Like x 1