1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I have to take some exception to the Titans being labeled "dirty"

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by titanfan24, Dec 12, 2007.

1. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    Before I go on, you guys know that I love ya. Bolt Talk is like a second home to me and I have the utmost respect for the Charger fans, because you guys support you team. However, I have to admit that I have been a little bit shocked at this notion that the Titans have become this "dirty" football team. First of all, the Titans are a very young, chippy, don't back down, football team. When you play in a division with a team that is as physical as Jacksonville and you're both chasing a well-oiled machine like Indy, you make the games slugfests. The games every week in the AFC South are like that, and that is the reason that the divison is showing well. Even Houston's not a tap out team. DeMeco Ryans and Travis Johnson are angry individuals. But, as a Titan fan, I have to take some offense to them being called dirty. Was Sunday a brawl, ABSOLUTELY, but Jeff Fisher has been coaching forever, and I doubt he waited until this game to start calling hits out on other guys. I agree with Mtl, who said that this was a throwback football game. Deacon Jones and Joe Greene would have been proud to play in this game.

There were borderline cheap plays on both sides......It was a very physical football game. Nobody's crying about Nick Hardwick spearing Nick Harper out of bounds after Harper's pick at the end of the third quarter. That particular play looks HORRIBLE on tape. Haynesworth says that they were intentionally going after his hammy, which is football, but instead of tapping out like one particular guy (you know who he is), he decided to kick Goff and Hardwick's butt, simultaneously, on one leg, for 60 minutes. Buster Davis took the most questionable play of the night IMO, because he could have gotten hurt at the end of his punt return. But to be honest, I don't think the Titan player thought he was down, because Buster hopped up so fast. With that said, the official probably should have thrown that flag on that play. Also, Shaun Phillips (who I love as a player) will be getting fined this week for his Roy Williams impersonation on Chris Brown's horse collar because the play resulted in an injury. Jeff Fisher, who ironically is the co-head of the NFL competition committee, said as much yesterday.

Look, it was a hard nosed, physical football game, between two physical, take no **** football teams, and you guys won. Be happy with it. Trust me, as a Titans fan, I guarantee you that we have more to gripe about on one 4th and 5 play, than you do the whole football game. We're probably sitting at home come January because of a poor camera angle.

Good luck Sunday, and going forward, and hopefully Buffalo and Cincinnati can help us out and we can get in too. Hell, I think a San Diego-Tennessee playoff game (which isn't possible unless Pittsburgh tanks) would get some super high ratings after this one.

• Like Like x 3
  2. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

Good post bro. :tup:

The fact is that if you look at that game through the lens of a Charger fan's perspective, the Titans are going to look dirty, Merriman tried to pull up, and that your guys had the majority of cheap shots.

If you look at it through the lens of a Titans fan than Merriman did anything but pull up, the Chargers gave as much as they took, and then whined about it afterward.

Probably from the perspective of a fan of neither team, it was a hard fought physical battle between two good teams that needed a victory.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Sometimes games such as these bring out the myopic homers and our fan base is no exception.

We got away with as much crap as you guys did so we are just as guilty in playing a game that maybe bent the rules a bit.

Jeff Fischer is part of competition rules committee and I doubt he called for a hit. He probably told someone to kick Meriman asss and get on him and that is part of the game. He should be emploring his men to kickasss.

I tried to get some of our more knowledgable fans to admit we got away with one on the 4th and 5 and talk about denial and hiding behind the inconclusive card was embarassing for me to witness.

Hey, I am man enough to admit it "appeared" to me you guys got robbed on that one play. It is not hard for me to admit and also agreeing with Chambers that we got lucky. As soon as I pointed out that we got lucky immediately fans are saying luck had nothing to do wiith it and this is after those words came out of Chambers mouth.

Some people are dense beyond reasoning and again, our fan base is no exception.

You just happen to stumble into the shallow end of the football gene pool here at Bolttalk. Not all fans are as constipated as the ones who are crying foul here. :bolt:

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    I agree with most of what you are saying except this.

You will be sitting home in January (most likely) because you coughed up a 14 point lead with 7 minutes to play. That play in and of itself DID NOT lose you that game. It didn't count for 14 points.

And it was the right call, like it or not.

The play right before this you dodged a bullet when Tomlinson made a catch with some rare horrible footwork and couldn't get both feet in bounds on an easy over the shoulder catch. If he gets his feet in on that one, this isn't even a topic (and he should have).

If your team would have made one more first down, or could have stopped one of three drives that went for a TD, then you would have won and the anger and spite that I read Monday and Tuesday on titansonline probably wouldn't exist (I stopped logging in there after reading way too much classless bitterness).

That said, it was an old school game, and I wish our guys would STFU and move on to worrying about Detroit.

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    There was late stuff on both sides. I blame the officials for letting things get way out of hand. There was stuff after the whistle on both sides, including Hardwick's late hit out of bounds, and because the officials let it all slide, **** just escalated.

But the fact remains that the Chargers two best defenders were both injured on plays wherIe they were hit late, hit low and hit well away from the ball. If the Titans two best defenders were injured by players diving at the back of their legs after the whistle, you'd probably have a choice comment or two for the team that employed such tactics.

To say that Merriman "tapped out" is totally unfair. He had a partially torn ligament in his knee and the training staff shut him down.

I don't see how anyone in their right mind could think that Merriman took a cheap shot at VY on a play where VY ran into HIM and Merriman held up. Even Fisher agreed after seeing the tape that it was not intentional by Merriman.

When your team blows a 14 point lead with 7 minutes to play, you can't blame it on a single replay call. There were calls that went both ways in that game. It's too bad that there wasn't a definitive replay angle of the 4th down catch, but that the way it goes. The Titans should stop making excuses and look in the mirror. If Fisher had just run up the gut for no gain on 3rd and 4 with 2:30 remaining, the Bolts would have been forced to use their last timeout, and they would have run out of time before scoring the tying TD.

I don't think the Titans are a dirty team (with the exception of Mawae), but I think there was some very dirty play in this game. Were cheap shots on both sides? Yes. But I didn't see any Chargers lineman diving at players knees after the play.

This was a tough, emotional loss for the Titans, and the tone of your posts proves that.

6. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Spot on, EC.

TF24, it was a very emotional game with a very emotional outcome. I don't blame you for feeling terrible. But as EC pointed out above, the Chambers catch was only one of many opportunities for the Titans to stop the Chargers from scoring 21 unanswered points in less that a quarter's time to win the game.

But credit should go to both sides in this matter - neither team laid down for this one. When one side punched, the other threw back. It was a down-and-dirty old school football game. One had to win it, and the team that played more inspired football at the end was the one. I think that mirrors a lot of the pre-game posts, don't you?

Good game.

7. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    solid post once agaain tf24.:tup: emotions were high and after a few days of cooling off everyone will come to realize it was just a old school slug fest and not as dirty as everyone thought it was.

8. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Good post I agree mostly. This however I do not agree with, it didn't look bad at all, Harper got by Dielman with ease, so when a 300lb mule is attempting to stop a 120lb db from taking it to the house their angles and attempted tackles look somewhat uncoordinated and sloppy, that's what this play looks like to me. It's not like Hardwick was able to stop himself after the 30 minute 15 yard stampede he was on.

9. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148

Another great post TF24... I agree!

I am a homer through and through. In this case, I can't agree with our players and some of the Charger fans. I don't see the one sided calls that some in here call for. Our local morning radio guy Billy Ray Smith doesn't see it either, he played the game for a long time. Our players are crying foul.. That kinda pisses me off... From my seats, it was as physical as it gets and we found a way to win. I am happy we won, and don't think for a minute that you guys were doing anything that we were not doing.

I thought the refs let the boys play to the tone that they (the players) set early in the contest.

TBF

10. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Titans played a solid hard nose game. We all got hits in we probably shouldnt have. The refs made the decision early in the game to let it go and the teams took that queue that they could amp it up and they did. That was one of the loudest hitting games I have ever heard. Great old school game. The only hit I thought was cheap in the whole game was the shot on Merriman's blind side when the tight end came in motion and blind sides Merriman fairly low. No issues if he came in motion and on the snap turned and made th hit but he started towards Merriman early and caught him unaware and fairly low. He got flagged for illegal motion on it but that was a pretty cheap shot. Other than that everything else seemed like hard nosed football. I have all kinds of respect for the Titans and the way they play. A little more offense and that will be a team to fear.

11. 17Rocks

17Rocks Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +135

Say what you want, but if that gets ruled incomplete it's game over plain and simple...

12. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45

You can point back to one play in almost any game that will have a significant impact. Overcoming the unknowns are part of what it takes to be a good football team. You're talking about a sport played with an oblong ball where even the bounce is unpredictable.

13. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Great response, sdc.

titanfan24, I would like to add that the opinions of foober do not necessarily reflect those of the majority of posters here.

:icon_smile:

14. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    I only have 2 beefs, from a Bolts fans perspective, in the whole game.

Merriman getting his knee taken out away from the play on a cheap shot.

The Chop Block on J-Mal that took him out of the game.

From a Titan perspective, the horse collar at the goal line.

Other than that it was an old fashion slobber knocker.

• Like Like x 1
  15. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The low and late hit on CD's punt return, too. But while that should have been flagged, I don't think it was "cheap." Just an overzealous special teamer trying to make a play.

16. eastcoastboltgal

eastcoastboltgal BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +695
    :icon_eek: What did you call me? :2guns:

:tounge:

17. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +349
    Fair post TF24...

Albert Haynesworth's is a dirty player, didn't he get a five-game suspension for stomping on the head of Dallas center Andre Gurode. On one play he was sacking Philip Rivers, and had a great hit, but then swung his arm around close lining him to the ground. I think that is the play where PR sat on the ground with his chin strap in his mouth... That was unnecessary, PR was already sacked, he is by no means an escape artist.

I don't think Merriman did anything wrong to Young, it is clear to me Young ran into Merriman, and he just braced himself.

I dont believe Jeff Fischer ordered a hit, but there were plenty of cheap shots to go around.

Other than that both teams played smash mouth, and I liked it.
    I didnt like all the injuries though... :no:

FOUTS

18. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    I can't speak for anyone else but I was simply calling a spade a spade and emphasizing why the refs made the call they did.

Yeah, we more than likely got away with one there....and if Chambers says we did then we definitely got away with one there.

But, hey, that's part of the game.

19. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    And if they convert that third down where Wilhelm got lucky and the ball hit his forearm, game over. If they run it there and force us to use our final TO, game over. If they make the chippie field goal in the first half, game over.

We could play "what if" all day. It wasn't the only play that decided the game any more than the others.

20. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,414
    if they scored more points than us game over

21. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    in hindsight, that figgie was "expensive" wasn't it... TFB...

• Like Like x 1
  22. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    No doubt this was good, smash mouth football on both sides, but the hits that injured Jamal and Shawne were cheap shots. Nobody can get away with doing that sort of thing play after play because when it gets too obvious the penalties get severe, so guys who take those shots pick their spots, and that's the rub. There is fundamental difference between adrenaline spiked hard nosed football and calculated lower body hits, and that's what I saw. Guys can get excited and follow through without stopping where they should and draw a major penalty, but those shots were taken away from the action and were not the products of over pursuit. That said, Detroit better have their chin straps on real tight.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I "heard" the film was reviewed and some was sent to the league... I'll be curious to see what, if anything, happens...

24. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77
    I don't disagree with much that has been said in this thread. It was a physical game from the outset and emotions ran wild. And the officials let it go, which I guess is cool as long as one team isn't getting a big advantage with it. I certainly don't wish injuries on anyone, and I hope Shawne recovers for your playoff run.

This is the reason I like posting here. A lot better than the doom and gloom going on over at the TOMB, which is an appropriate acronym for that place right now. Plus, our record temperatures, that some of you got to experience Sunday, are currently being replaced by temps 35-40 degrees colder, so we're all sick and pissed. LOL!! We all have opinions and we all pretty much saw the same things. Good responses all!!!

25. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    don't know if ya'll saw this one...

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/sullivan/20071210-9999-1s10sullivan.html
    December 10, 2007

NASHVILLE, Tenn. – Remember the Titans as ruffians. As Music City Maniacs. As a football team prone to provocation. As purveyors of premeditated cheap shots and after-the-whistle aggravation.

But remember, too, that the Boulevard Of Broken Rules is a two-way street.

“We like dirty play,” Chargers center Nick Hardwick said Sunday afternoon. “We don't do it until we see it, but we'll get as dirty as you.”

:icon_eek:

26. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Good post TF24!!!!
    I pretty much agree with everything you posted but as EC pointed out about the bad camera angle... it was the right call.

There is only one part of the game that I have a problem with...
    When Young ran into Merriman and spectators keep saying "it was a late hit." I mean Merriman was basically standing there while Young ran into him with his head turned the other way.
    When Young was face down in the turf for so long after the collision, I though that was a little strange. It couldn't have hurt that bad!!! Especially when he got up and ran off the field!!

Besides that, I do agree that it was an old school game and I wouldn't particularly call the Titans "dirty."

27. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Fisher is a dirt bag. He can shove his competition committee **** up his ***. In fact, for his ordering the hit on Merriman, the NFL should strip him from the committee. He's a fuggin' joke of a man.

Finnegan took a free run head shot at Chambers at the end of the first quarter.

Mawae is a scum bag that went after two players knees (Merriman and Williams).

Odom intentionally went after Rivers knees.

The Titans, led by their scum bag coach Fisher deserve multiple fines for their conduct on Sunday.

28. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I have no problem with anything that happened in that game. I was just shocked the Chargers finally found their balls after getting 'em shoved down their throats for 3.5 quarters of play.

Shaun Phillips was on Sirius a few minutes ago talkin' shiit. I love him as a player... but the dude just rubs me the wrong way when he goes on this show and bashes a team like the Titans. He's acting like the Chargers have already won a title or some shiit. :icon_shrug:

29. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    I wouldn't be surprised if there were cheap shots but heck Hardwick admitted if someone makes cheap shots the Chargers will give them back in spades. I didn't not see any real case of cheap shots but then again I admit that I'm basing that on both highlights and what parts of the game I did watch and not listen. I agree it was a rough, tough game but I also agree there were probably a few cheap shots on both sides. That's what happens

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    TF24 good post.

I wish our players would STFU and move on to the next game. What I witnessed was some good old fashion but kicking going on from both teams. I love games like that, except the injury report the following week.

We needed someone to knock some sense into our players so they might wake the hell up. Hell they've been sleep walking through this season and y'all just woke up the sleeping bear. Thanks and I hope your team finishes out fine.