1. Welcome to Los Angeles Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the Los Angeles Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I hope Dean understands........

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Dec 25, 2011.

1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That is Norv and/or AJ are back next year, his stadium initiative stands ZERO chance of passing, and his season ticket purchases will continue to plummet.

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,460
    That might be his plan

[/cynicism]

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,429
    If they come back, let me say this... I've seen it before, lived through it before, and I would wish it on any of you. It would be the most blatant case of Georgia Frontiere-ing a team since... well... Georgia Frontiere.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Carpe Diem et omni Mundio Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +3,068
    Can't imagine how on earth Norv survives this. He's absolutely toast unless it is just an attempt to sink the team, and I have a hard time swallowing how or why that would happen. Let's be honest; assuming the worst about Spanos that he wants to move the team to LA and is just biding his time, he is putting out the worst possible product at the time he wants to look as attractive as possible to LA with more than one potential suitor for the spot. You think LA sees a team that has fallen from grace, with a hated HC and GM and thinks that that is what they want to bring to their new stadium? Doubt it

5. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +374
    You would have to think that yesterday's loss sealed Norv's ticket out of SD. Back-to-back years of not making the playoofs in a weak division with a roster that is better than anyone else's in the division is inexcusable.

He's had a fair chance to take us to the top, and can't get us there, so if top level management is truly committed to building a championship team, then they need a championship coach to help do that.

There will be way too much media pressure on the Chargers to fire Norv to realistically think he has even a small chance of keeping his job, making the playoffs was his small chance and he F'd that up by allowing his team to come out not fired up for a big game.

• Like Like x 2
  6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,108
    what exactly was that?

7. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +406
    understands? more like hope a Dean gives a damn.

8. ViennaLager

ViennaLager FC Eintracht Bamberg Smokey Beers

Ratings:
    +61
    Well DenverBolt67 has no clue about the stadium issue itself, or else he would've talked about it.

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,460
    I'm fairly positive Dean Spanos gives a bit of a damn about the business he owns.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,787
    If Norv isn't fired Dean would become the laughing stock of the owner's circle. AJ can be justified, but Norv no longer can. It's painfully obvious he is NOT HC material and he has ran this team into the ground just like he did in Washington.

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Snyder ran the team into the ground in DC.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,787
    hiring Norv was part of it wouldn't you say?

• Like Like x 1
  13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What did you not understand?

14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    LOL, you do understand that the Chargers are pushing to get an initiative on the ballot in 2012, right? I have followed the stadium issue for nearly 10 years now, and am very familiar with the stadium issue and future plans

15. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    I am part of the SD Stadium Coalition. I know just about everything about it. You don't seem to talk about it with knowledge. The stadium issue has ZERO to do with AJ and Norv. PERIOD.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It does to the fans, which was the point. The initiative will have to be voted on by fans, and as long as those guys are here, the fans will never vote yes.

Go back and re-read the original post, it is very clear IMO

17. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,336
    The fans of the San Diego Chargers make up a small portion of the population of San Diego...

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And the rest of SD will vote no also. Even those non-fans jump on the bandwagon when the team is doing well, which is a huge reason why they sold more season tickets in 07, and that number has dropped every year since, and will continue to drop as long as AJ and Norv are here

19. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,336
    Perhaps your crystal ball tells you that. Unfortunately the fact is that it is far from being decided. There will be big pushes by both sides that will involve nothing of the win loss record of this seasons Chargers.

20. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    So in your opinion, fans being upset by management, the direction of the team, and the results of the last few years will not effect their support for paying for a stadium? If so, then you don't live in a rational world. If not, can you clarify your stance?

21. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,336
    Very little as the actual fan base of the Chargers is as stated before a small portion of the population.

I am glad you believe it is me who is not rational. Because demanding rational equates to only your opinion is soo very rational in the extreme...:rolleyes:

22. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61

The strategies of getting a new stadium passed are/were based on the following:

A. Combining a new stadium with the convention center expansion
    B. Making the vote a county-wide option as opposed to limiting it to the City of SD
    C. Favorable marketing to voters to educate them on how a new stadium will benefit the City of SD for many years to come.

A winning team has less to do with it, and AJ and Norv make no difference on the vote.

23. Concudan

Concudan ...

Ratings:
    +5,336
    Oh please stop being irrational...

24. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61
    Hmpphhhh. [​IMG]

25. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Spanos is a Synonym for Loser

Ratings:
    +403
    Actually, Jack Kent Cooke hired Norv after the failed experiment with Richie Petitbon. And while we take Norv-bashing to the level of a spectator sport around here (including myself as a willing participant), I will come to his defense for his time here in Washington.

Snyder bought the team from the Cookes after JKC died and started throwing cash at every big name free agent in the market -- many of them past their prime -- like it was Monopoly money. It ended up producing a team with a bunch of overinflated egos and overinflated wallets that could not and would not play well together. The Redskins also drafted very poorly (see Heath Shuler and Michael Westbrook as exhibits A and B) during that time, exacerbating the problem.

I will also give Norv a pass in Oakland. That team, post-Callahan, was a disaster that probably nobody not named Lombardi could have helped.

His main failure has been here. On this, I will not give him a pass.

• Like Like x 1
  26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It doesn't matter what the strategy is or what the facts are, the vast majority of the voting public do and will view it as a hand out to the Chargers. You and I may know different, but the mojority of the public still believe that Petco is losing the city money and a football stadium that costs 2x as much, will result in even more lost revenue.

I agree that it MUST be county wide, but still believe that the majority of voters will not vote for it if they are not satisfied wit hthe direction and management of the team.

Marketing doesn't mean much when the majority of voters do nothing more than base their opinions on the signs they see.

Your last line is outright untrue. A huge portion of people will base their vote of tax dollars benefiting the Chargers (As they view it, true or not) on whether they believe in the Chargers current direction and trust in ownership/management.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It will be the fans that get the stadium deal done or not. The people who are not fans will and do view it as a hand out to Dean Spanos, especially since most people still think the Padres were given Petco and the city is still losing money. The UT and Padres can post as many articles and studies proving it to be untrue, but the majority of people either don't read them or don't trust them, and any marketing campaign for the stadium is pointless since most voters are idiots and don't even read the book that describes each initiative. They will be told it is a hand out to the Chargers, and they will believe it. The only way it passes is if people feel justified in giving Dean a new stadium, because they believe in the path the team is on, something that most don't as long as AJ and Norv are in charge.

Once again, it isn't about facts, it is about perception. And the perception is that a new stadium is a hand out, and as much as I appreciate what the stadium coalition does and the work they put in, I don't believe it will have any effect.

When you go to work, start asking random people what they think the city paying for Petco park. I think you will be surprised at what most people think, even if their beliefs are false

28. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,108
    I didn't know there ever was an initiative to vote on

29. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    God help us if Dean starts letting the fans and their effed up opinions persuade him what to dk about his team and his plan to get a new stadium.

• Like Like x 2
  30. ViennaLager

Ratings:
    +61

When I say marketing, I am talking about specific data to show how a downtown stadium can benefit the city and its citizens.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/...rk-Generating-Greater-ROI-Than-Projected.aspx

http://www.sandiegobusiness.org/med...conomic Impact Report Press Release_FINAL.pdf

I comment on most web articles about our stadium and show reports like these to show voters the correct data and prove naysayers wrong.