1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

i hope we do really well,this draft class is weak

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by charger1993, Sep 22, 2014.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Theres some sexy names but none im impressed with,lets name a few.
    Amari cooper, big wrm good hands with good speed but everyone is saying hes julio jones 2.0, i say no hes not
    Vic beasley olb clemson, my favorite player on my favorite college team, but hes not the passrusher people think, most of his sacks are flat out because he was faster, very little technique.
    Ompou cb orgeon, 1 that named is botched im sorry, hes a good corner, but i dont see his football smarts as much as i just see him get lucky.

I do have players i like, but im still scouting, but ill leave 1
    Quandre diggs cb texas, 36 starts, plays really well, plays taller than his 5 ft 10 frame, not afraid to tackle, could also play safety in certain packages

2. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I like the WR from West Virginia, Kevin White

• Like Like x 1
  3. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Regarding Cooper - I follow the Tide, so I watch every game of theirs. His production is comparable to Jones, but that should be where the comparison ends. Jones is bigger, and to me, seemed to have better acceleration than Coop does in college. That being said, when Coop gets up to speed, he really flies, and he's a great route runner with very good hands. He;s not Julio 2.0, but Amari is legit as the top WR in this class, and whoever drafts him will be getting a great player.

Not so sure about the other 2 as I don't really like to watch much of Oregon, and don't see much Clemson either.

On the subject of Bama, Landon Collins is a good one to watch. He's every bit as good as HaHa Clinton-Dix or Mark Barron were, great athlete, clever player, and a pretty nasty hitter at times too. When you watch the Bama defense, one of the things that strikes you is how this dude seems to be everywhere, always around the ball.

4. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    Yea there's a lot of players that are attractive, but I find myself scratching my head, thinking are these players worth it, are they what they're cracked up to be, most times I don't think they are. But it's gamble, this is one draft class I'm kind of weary on.

5. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I agree on that. You don't really see one "can't miss prospect", except arguably Cooper, who might turn out to be the safest pick in the top 10. Even the QBs have their questions, and a potential blue chip RB like Gurley (if such a thing exists in today's NFL) just crapped all over his draft stock.

6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    In Telesco We Trust.

7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    The Oliver acquisition is looking more and more like a genius move...

Branden Oliver.jpg

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Verrett
    Attaouch
    Watt
    Oliver
    even Davis is stepping up
    Carrethuers is making progress

I'll be honest this is looking like a very good draft

9. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    I was referring to the upcoming draft, so far from what ive seen, there's not a lot of can't miss prospects, I'm scouting right now, while watching this team play, trying to find stand out players or players who will fit our scheme , this upcoming draft is looking weak

10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Heard him on Daniel Jerimiah's channel, Telesco actually said he should of drafted Branden Oliver.

11. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    I'm guessing 31 other guys are having the same thought...

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Lol yup, well this was mid-week after his performance against the Jets.

13. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    In any draft there are very few, if any "can't miss" prospects. Drafts today are more about what you do after round 1, and what kind of impact those players have for the team. Outside of the top 5 in most drafts, the impact the prospects are making in the rest of the round is marginal.

14. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Oliver, Gates (and Kurt Warner, Wes Welker, etc.) would like to say a thing or two about draft accuracy... :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    the upcoming class is solid especially when you consider the record number of underclassmen declaring these days

there should be solid beef here but hanestly the chargers need at least 3 more years and an immaculate draft record to fix this mess

16. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    Yeah, this class is pretty solid talent-wise.

Also I have to ask, with another year of Marcus Mariota's development, how do you see him now. Got to believe he's climbed up your board if not just a little bit. He's made some great throws this year where he actually did have to fit it into tight spaces.

17. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Depending what we do in free agency to try and fix/build this OL in the off-season, I'd seriously consider trading up for Landon Collins. I feel like a Weddle and Collins tandem along with Verrett and Flowers (if we can re-sign him) DB unit could blossom to be one of the best in the NFL.

I like Collins as a prospect entering the draft better than Mark Barron and Ha-Ha Clinton-Dix by the way.

I will admit I haven't watched him much, but I like Derron Smith out of Fresno State last few years. His ball skills are amazing and I do think we should start looking for safeties to finally pair with Weddle, Gilchrist's play has fell off this year and I'm sick of the inconsistency these defense shows year in and year out.

18. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    I don't think gilchrist should be starting, IMHO Addae should be starting and gilchrist should only see the field in nickel packages. But the trenches need to be upgraded. But idk who I'd draft right now, if telesco goes after some beef in fa I'd be more ok with DBS , wrs, rbs, but I want trenches our lines are as Charles Barkley would say "turrible"

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Addae is not a starter by any means.

I do agree Gilchrist should be in on nickel packages, as the nickel corner. He's excelled there last 2 years but I have yet to see him in the slot. Frustrating.

Taking a RB early is useless. There's too many positions with top-end talent to waste a 1st-3rd rounder on a RB.

Again there's a number of ways to approach free agency and the OL and DL. All depends on how we feel about King Dunlap at the end of the year. We could take a flier on Jeromey Clary (can't believe I said it) for another year as a camp fodder. We could move DJ Fluker inside and shift Chris Watt to full-time C. There isn't much out there for OL in free agency this year.

You want to strengthen the trenches, look at DL in free agency and OL in the draft. That's how I see it. The defense needs NFL ready players if we are to continue with Pagano as DC.

20. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    Addressing the trenches is the only thing that makes since to me. Our slime gets no push so our lbs get blocked and the opposing team ends up with a huge play. And our oline is just garbage. And when I said running back I was just naming the other positions if we took care of the trenches

21. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    DEFENSE! DEFENSE! DEFENSE!

There is a good group of UFA we can pursue. Jason-Perrie-Paul, Cliff Avril, Corey Redding, Suh, Justin Houston, Orkapo.

The Draft:

Good prospects at position of need:
    OT: Cedric Ogbuehi, Cameron Erving
    DE: Vic Beasely, Leonard Flyod and Shane Ray
    CB: Trae Waynes, Marcus Peters
    RB: Melvin Gordon III, Todd Gurley

Great prospects worthy of trade up
    Leonard Williams/Randy Gregory/Amari Cooper

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I realize people are look at that ~$25-28 million in cap space we have and envisioning big free agent spending, but there needs to be some context framed here. Rivers, Liuget, and Weddle are both going to be in contract years - i.e. extension time - in 2015 and while that won't mean taking a massive chunk out of the available cap space, we're probably looking at at minimum $7 million and possibly more being used to off-set the future impact of prorated cap hits for the bonus monies issued to those guys. Signing the draft class is likely another ~ $5 million. So we're talking right around $13-16 million to play with... (and when you figure that there will be other depth signings as well as a $3-5 million buffer left for as-needed-for-injury signings during the season) or really $10-11 million. That's one lower top-tier free agent or more likely two middle tier guys (maybe one and one if we get another Flowers type opportunity with getting a guy on a one-year "prove it" deal). All this with trying to get Flowers re-signed as well.

Honestly, I wouldn't be banking on any major free agent signings unless there are some larger wholesale cuts of the older vets (Freeney, JJ, Brown, Clary).

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    God dammit LBC, let a man dream of Liuget and Suh on the same defensive line!

24. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,152
    Pretty sure most around the league would chuckle to see Liuget and Suh in the same sentence!