1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I just got a Magic Jack

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thumper, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    So far it seems pretty cool. It should save me a bunch of money on phone calls, especially when I travel. I won't be using nearly as much of my cell minutes either.

So far so good. Phone quality is pretty good. I noticed a very small delay, but nothing really bad.

So far here are my only complaints. When I chose a phone number, it was kind of limited. There were no numbers available in my exact area. Same area code, but the prefix was for a smaller town a ways away. This could be a toll call for some that call me locally. :(

One other thing. This I don't think is a big deal, but when you plug the Magic Jack into your computer a dialer comes up. You can just use your phone to dial, or this dialer. They do server you advertisements in a window on the dialer. I guess that's how they can keep this so cheap.

So far I like the thing.

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I works pretty good so far. A few weird quirks though.

1) Call quality is good, but occasionally there is a faint echo. Nothing worse than I get on my cell phone though.

2) Calling outbound has worked fine except for one phone number. Calling one particular person's cell phone, the call just doesn't go through. I can pick up a land line or cell phone and call the person no problem and that person can call inbound to my magic Jack phone and it goes through but I can not establish a call when dialing that number.

3) I got an inbound call yesterday when a call I had just dialed was ringing. I flipped over the the call and instead of switching me to the oinbound call, it somehow put me on a three way call. That could be very confusing.

Still, even with a few quirks, I think it's a pretty simple device to use and for the cost savings of paying no cell minutes or long distance charges, it's completely worth it.

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  4. SnappySammy

SnappySammy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +104
    I think they are watching and listening, :icon_banana:

5. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    I've never heard of this thing - pretty cool

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Wow. Never heard of this thing before. Just might do the free trial.

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Holy Crap. Snappy Sammy is back.

How ya doing buddy?

8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Found one big problem with this. I can't dial one particular area code. The calls to that area code just don't go through. I can recieve calls from that area code. I'd guess they've got a problem in their call routing table somewhere. I contacted support and they've escalated it to there engineers, so hopefully it will be resolved. fortunately, there is only one person I call n the area code that doesn't work and I just call that person on my cell and ask to have them call me back on the magicJack number.

9. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    Very informative. Sounds like a good deal.

Too bad about that one number.

10. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Trial ended on the 10th. I never heard of it til this thread either. Not sure it is something i can use.

Well im sure it would be cool but my Wife cant seem to adapt to use her cell phone on weekends for long distance when they are free w/ unlimited minutes so she'll never adapt to this :lol: