1. Welcome to Los Angeles Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the Los Angeles Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I just got a Magic Jack

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Thumper, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    So far it seems pretty cool. It should save me a bunch of money on phone calls, especially when I travel. I won't be using nearly as much of my cell minutes either.

So far so good. Phone quality is pretty good. I noticed a very small delay, but nothing really bad.

So far here are my only complaints. When I chose a phone number, it was kind of limited. There were no numbers available in my exact area. Same area code, but the prefix was for a smaller town a ways away. This could be a toll call for some that call me locally. :(

One other thing. This I don't think is a big deal, but when you plug the Magic Jack into your computer a dialer comes up. You can just use your phone to dial, or this dialer. They do server you advertisements in a window on the dialer. I guess that's how they can keep this so cheap.

So far I like the thing.

2. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I works pretty good so far. A few weird quirks though.

1) Call quality is good, but occasionally there is a faint echo. Nothing worse than I get on my cell phone though.

2) Calling outbound has worked fine except for one phone number. Calling one particular person's cell phone, the call just doesn't go through. I can pick up a land line or cell phone and call the person no problem and that person can call inbound to my magic Jack phone and it goes through but I can not establish a call when dialing that number.

3) I got an inbound call yesterday when a call I had just dialed was ringing. I flipped over the the call and instead of switching me to the oinbound call, it somehow put me on a three way call. That could be very confusing.

Still, even with a few quirks, I think it's a pretty simple device to use and for the cost savings of paying no cell minutes or long distance charges, it's completely worth it.

3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  4. SnappySammy

SnappySammy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +104
    I think they are watching and listening, :icon_banana:

5. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +361
    I've never heard of this thing - pretty cool

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,672
    Wow. Never heard of this thing before. Just might do the free trial.

7. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Holy Crap. Snappy Sammy is back.

How ya doing buddy?

8. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Found one big problem with this. I can't dial one particular area code. The calls to that area code just don't go through. I can recieve calls from that area code. I'd guess they've got a problem in their call routing table somewhere. I contacted support and they've escalated it to there engineers, so hopefully it will be resolved. fortunately, there is only one person I call n the area code that doesn't work and I just call that person on my cell and ask to have them call me back on the magicJack number.

9. Deb

Deb BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +255
    Very informative. Sounds like a good deal.

Too bad about that one number.

10. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Trial ended on the 10th. I never heard of it til this thread either. Not sure it is something i can use.

Well im sure it would be cool but my Wife cant seem to adapt to use her cell phone on weekends for long distance when they are free w/ unlimited minutes so she'll never adapt to this :lol: