1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I just heard a report on Los Angeles TV

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Jan 27, 2009.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    They just reported that the Chargers are planning to move to Los Angeles and have hired a publicist to promote the Chargers in the Los Angeles area. They also said that the Chargers can now leave their lease with San Diego.

Anyone in LA here this? Are they saying anything about this in San Diego?

2. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
  3. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
  4. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    If this is a true report then this will be a very interesting day. :no:

I hate watching all of those idiot celebrates in the stands at Lakers games. I am sure some of them will now be on the bandwagon. :tdown:

5. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    they just had a local news update and their website is cbs2.com. I looked on the website, but couldn't find anthing.

6. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I'm guessing that it's true that the Chargers hired a marketing firm in LA, but I'm thinking they pulled the rest out of their asses.

7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    The San Diego Chargers of Los Angeles

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    There are at least 5 teams interested in LA. The Raiders, Vikings, Saints, Jaguars, and Chargers have all had their names dropped.

This may just be a threat to the city that they will consider leaving.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    the report i red from the SDUT was that they hired some ad agencies to promote the team more heavily in LA and OC counties

10. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    This report specifically said the Chargers were going to again be the Los Angeles Chargers. I have to get to a client's site, but please post if any of you hear anything.

11. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    they are full of ****.

they are going off that report of the chargers marketing in 0C and LA.

12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I searched their website and nothing. They may have been twisting words to get a reaction.

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    The only article I've found comes from!.....http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/27/chargers-testing-the-los-angeles-waters/#respond

The NFL's version of the National Enquirer. PFT.com is always full of ****, they're also the ones that insisted Shawne Merriman tested positive again this year only to be proved wrong. They are also known for creating wildly inaccurate trade rumors in the offseason, probably so they just have something new to write.

14. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,580
    From the CBS2.com site:

http://sports.cbs2.com/fb/story.asp?i=20090127015335410000101&ref=rec&tm=24&src=NFL

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
  16. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    PFT was just reacting to the report of the SDUT and LA Times. I have found that PFT is right more than they are wrong.

17. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Where in this article does it say that the Chargers are moving?

CHARGERS TESTING THE LOS ANGELES WATERS?
    Posted by Aaron Wilson on January 27, 2009, 8:14 a.m. EST

In the latest chapter of the never-ending saga of the NFL potentially returning to Los Angeles, the San Diego Chargers have hired an L.A. marketing firm, the Los Angeles Times reports.

Although the article by Sam Farmer described the hiring of Wasserman Media Group as a move to promote the Chargers in L.A. and Orange County, it also notes that the transaction will probably be interpreted by many as an NFL franchise testing the waters for a possible move to the nation’s second-largest market.

Los Angeles hasn’t had a team to call its own since the Raiders and Rams left town following the 1994 season.

“The bottom line is Los Angeles and Orange County are two of the most lucrative markets in the world,” Mark Fabiani, who leads the Chargers’ efforts on stadium issues, told the Times. ”There’s no NFL team in those markets, and there’s no reason the Chargers can’t pursue those areas in these difficult economic times.”

Per the article, the Chargers have clashed with local officials for the past seven years in their efforts to get a new stadium built. And the team’s three-month window to move the franchise starts ticking Sunday, which happens to be the the same day as Super Bowl XLIII.

According to the team’s lease arrangement with the city of San Diego, that chance to relocate the team will continue to open for three months annually at this time of year.

Meanwhile, the city of San Diego is prevented from seeking legal remedies against the Chargers or the league to stop a move if it’s compensated with a $56 million termination fee that will shrink each year.

(Random Ron Burgundy line goes here: Great Odin’s raven! By the way, I bet the Anchorman loved the Chargers’ groovy fight song.)

Whether it’s saber-rattling or not, the Chargers seem determined to explore their options after spending $10 million to look into potential new stadium sites in Chula Vista in San Diego County.

“We’re definitely a lot closer to the end of this process than the beginning,” Fabiani said. ”This is not a process that can go on forever.”

When it comes to possibly packing up and moving, the Chargers seem to be poised to bolt ahead of the Oakland Raiders and the Minnesota Vikings because they’re both contractually bound to their respective cities through the 2011 season.

Even if a team wants to move, there are unresolved stadium issues in Southern California. The latest stadium proposal on the table is Ed Roski’s idea to build a stadium in the small town of Industry, Calif.

There’s also talk about a possible L.A. Super Bowl.

“I would be open-minded,” Tampa Bay Buccaneers owner Bryan Glazer said. ”We have to see the situation in L.A. at the time, the potential for solving the situation there. .. I think it’s more important to have a team in L.A., whether it’s the 49th or the 53rd Super Bowl. That’s the bigger issue.”

While there are a ton of thorny issues involved here, there’s also a lot of potential money to be made if the NFL ever returns to Los Angeles. And that’s why this conversation never seems to die.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    From the horses mouth
    http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jan/26/chargers-marketing-deal-move-LA/?chargers

The Chargers are starting a marketing push aimed at wealthy interests in Los Angeles and Orange counties, but they say it is not a prelude to moving the team north.

The team signed a deal with the Wasserman Media Group on Monday to reach companies willing to purchase pricey luxury suites and club seats, as well as to ink sponsorship deals for Qualcomm Stadium advertising.

With a stadium project gaining traction outside Los Angeles – with no team to play in it – Chargers officials know that the marketing pact will ignite speculation about a possible move.

But Mark Fabiani, the team's general counsel and point man on stadium issues, said, “This has nothing whatsoever to do with the team staying or going. Fans shouldn't be more concerned than they already were.”

19. rexy2006

rexy2006 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,842
    I hope not.

Although, a LA Channel 5 reporter chick came toodling into Seau's at about 8:30 last night, with a TV cameraman in tow. She was looking for Charger fans and found Pedro(diego4life) immediately, as he was rocking the old-school blue Winslow jersey.

She interviewed him, asking about what he thought about the possibility of the Chargers moving to LA. He was polite about it, being emphatic about that being a tremendously BAD idea.

Cameras off, we shared how much we HATE LA. The Raiders and the Rams tried and failed there for starters. I believe the majority of any Charger fan base is in the Orange County area, not the LA metro area.

She then moved on to a few other Charger fans she could find in the bar area.

I wasnt really too alarmed until you said what they said this morning.

Are they just stirring the pot, or what?:icon_high: This is very bothersome.

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Duuuuuuuuude.... it's LA, maaaaaaan.

Everyone knows the Chargers are moving to Stockton in 2011:abq2::icon_party:!!!

21. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    you mean to tell me after the city of san diego has been so cooperative and accomodating in the efforts to get a new stadium that would not only benefit the team but the city in the long run, the chargers are actually keeping their options open?
    how dare they...
    btw- how f'n stupid does san diego look now that the real estate market has crashed and they held up the whole murph site deal because they thought the dirt was too valuable to give away?
    san diego will get what san diego deserves, if it steps up the team will stay, if it continues to flounder they will leave, end of story.
    sd has two more years to get it's **** together then it's move'in van time.

22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    You and me will have season Tix for the games by the Delta! We'll stay at Harris' in Disco Bay and take the boat over.

:lol:

23. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    F Profootbaltalk.com and F any LA reporter who is saying the Chargers are moving. They may move in the future but the Chargers have stated nothing of the sort.

PFT.com has nothing on LT and AJ smoothing things over last night because PFT wants to gives anyone who likes the chargers Sh#t. PFT is on top of many news things in the NFL, but they are a Charger hating news group who only like to disturbe us rather than say ANYTHING good about charger fans and or the chargers.

LA is a loser football market and Dean knows it!!

Believe in the Bolt!

24. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    A.J. APOLOGIZES TO L.T.
    Posted by Mike Florio on January 27, 2009, 4:39 a.m.

From the Chargers’ official web site comes the latest twist in the offseason drama engulfing the franchise.

In a grossly self-serving item titled “A.J. reaches out to L.T.” but that would be more appropriately dubbed “A.J. eats crow in an effort to save his ***,” the team-owned and team-operated web site reports that Chargers G.M. A.J. Smith called star running back LaDainian Tomlinson on Monday night to apologize for Smith’s recent comments, which were widely interpreted as mocking L.T.’s statement from last week regarding his desire to remain in San Diego.

“I just answered a question and unfortunately my response was inappropriate,” Smith said. “After reading my response to the question, I can see why it was interpreted the way it was.”

Smith tracked L.T. down by phone in Tampa to explain the context of the remarks to Tomlinson.

“I absolutely meant no disrespect toward L.T. . . . none. I have the utmost respect for him on two fronts, as a player and as a person,” Smith added.

Smith’s decision to use the word “utmost” is curious, given that L.T.’s statement from last week included an incorrect version of the word — “upmost.” It almost makes us think that Smith was given a direct order from owner Dean Spanos to apologize, and that Smith worked the word “utmost” into his quote as sort of a Revolution No. 9 message to those who know Smith that he’s saying what he’s saying only because he’s being forced to say it.

Smith also characterized the national and local criticism of his remarks as part of a “difficult time,” which is way out of character for the man who loves to project the notion that he loves nothing. Indeed, he once refused to allow the team’s media guide to include a picture of him smiling.

Then again, all that matters is whether Smith’s remarks were sufficient to placate Tomlinson and Spanos, presuming that the owner who was “very upset” by the situation forced Smith to say he’s sorry.

As to the former, it worked.

“It was great to hear from him,” Tomlinson said. “It really went well. It’s always better talking directly to someone one on one. He was very upbeat and very sincere. He felt bad about what had happened.”

Correction — Smith said he felt bad. And we have the utmost respect for his ability to persuade Tomlinson that he means it.
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/category/rumor-mill/

25. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...I'm pretty sure the one thing Spanos won't allow would be for another team or two to beat them to the punch, relocate to LA and get stuck with no stadium deal in San Diego. What the Giants and Jets did by partnering their new stadium together is an example of thinking with your head out of your arse. Have you seen that 1.6 billion dollar gem? It will be a financial goldmine to both teams.

Something like that may very well happen in the Bay Area with the 49ers and Raiders partnering up for a stadium to share. If they do, can you imagine Spanos keeping his team in San Diego if all they offer is the Q?

26. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +683
    Another tidbit where the city could have fuk'd themselves on some more revenue.

The MW conference is making noise about wanting in the BCS auto bids. If that happens, the Holiday Bowl would have been a prime candidate for being elevated to a BCS bowl. That would increase the revenue footprint of that game. Now, if the MW gets in, SD will not be a prime spot due to the condition of the Murph.

I hate that fuknut Aguirre and that hay eating hag council member. City park... what a moronic idea considering the state of the site (cleanup issues)and the ludicrous amount of money it would have cost the city.

27. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    I don't understand how a bankrupt city (San Diego) is supposed to pay for a new stadium in this economy. :icon_shrug: Unemployment up near 10% in CA alone. I was born, and raised in SD, and love the Chargers, but does anyone have an answer for this? Raising taxes, floating bonds like Petco? Everyone loves to have their taxes raised, :lol: we can't even agree to raise sales tax 1/2 cent to help pay for budget shortfalls.

I guess giving the Chargers the land at Mission Valley, is that equitable for an NFL team? I am asking because I am not sure.

I am tired of the NFL making the fans pay with their taxes for new facilities, to basically satisfy corporate interests, luxery boxes, etc. The NFL makes plenty of money from US Fans to build their own stadiums. Do you think with a new stadium, I will be able to afford a minimum ticket, after my taxes built it? yeah right..

Fouts

28. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    If they move, I'll burn evrything I own with a Bolt on it.

I'll sell the rights to my name.

29. S.D.Love

S.D.Love Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I may be in the minority here, but if the Chargers move anywhere I'd like it to be here, in Los Angeles.

Of course I'd prefer for them to stay in San Diego forever, but if they have to move let's at least keep them in the southern california area.

The history of the Franchise is here.

People can hate L.A. all they want to, but just imagine if the Chargers went out of state to Oaklahoma or Idaho, give me a break, that would be awful.:tdown:

30. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,805
    The Chargers offered to build the stadium on their own dime in exchange for development rights and the land they would build the complex on in Mission Valley. Basically, the land they occupy now. No cost to the tax payers. The city said No Way Jose.

This was when the price of building the whole thing would have been MUCH less, something like half [i think] of what it would cost now thanks to the cost of steel skyrocketing and other things.

Now it's too late for that location - Fabiani has explained why before, but it has to do with the cost/economy IIRC. I'm sure it's google-able.

The whole mess is NOT on the Chargers, it's on the city of San Diego and that jackhole Aguirre. This should have been handled long ago and now it may be too late... it's going to take the people of San Diego demanding action for things to change I'd imagine :( even if it would be a win-win in the long run, the short-term $$ issues with the city may prevent it from happening.

p.s. f you to the nimby's too :icon_evil: just for good measure.