1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

I know its too early but...............its never too ealry

Discussion in 'NFL Draft' started by Bolts4lyfe, Oct 28, 2012.

1. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +125
    I'm not LBC, but heres my take on it.

I dont think Roby has played himself into that group yet. I think he's much closer to the group with guys like Poyer, Hawthorne, Gilbert, among some others that i can think of off the top of my head. He's a good player, but i dont see him as a lockdown #1 guy in the NFL, like i can see those 3 being.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +771
    Thank Duff, I appreciate your input. I remember reading your mocks last year, looking forward to seeing more. I don't get to see much of the college games as I'd like, so I only know a about these prospects based off the little that I see, hear or read, so I always love to get others thoughts.

3. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,039
    I'd put him in the same category as Rhodes. Milliner and Banks right now are a clear-cut top 2 because they're considerably more polished than anyone else with similar ceilings. The thing is, Rhodes and Roby both have some technical flaws that need ironing out of their game - but I feel have superior athleticism to anyone else in this class (which is a major selling point). Throw Poyer in that category as well - though he's not as jarring a tackler, even if he is crisper. Really, I think picking among the three comes down to what scheme you're running and who offers you more in it. If we continue to implement zone with our CB's (as opposed to say the Steelers who go 2-deep and man-up with the CB's) I'm looking Roby and Poyer over Rhodes. If we're looking more man coverage I'm more inclined to look Rhodes, if press-man (though when realistically was the last time we had a DC with the stones to run press-man coverage?), and Poyer, if off-man, than Roby. The one limitation with Roby is he's strictly a boundary guy; he defends the sideline extremely well, plays the run well, but (at least I haven't seen it yet) he's not the guy you want dropping into the slot on the quick-twitch receivers. And I've yet to see us run a scheme (nor do many in the league ever do it, despite what some fans might think) where our best corner lines up on the opposing team's best receiver regardless of where said receiver is on the field (the Jets do it with Revis, but even the Donko's with Champ and the Raiders when the had Aso weren't keying them on the opposition's #1 on every play).

4. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    My draft would look something like this..

We will most likely, and realistically be in the pick #12-19 range, given all the 4-6 teams at this point, so.. My first bullets will be my preferred picks, followed by 2nd and 3rd options.

Round 1.
    • Luke Joeckel - OT -Top 15 pick for sure, so if he is available I take him with no hesitation. Jake Matthews, his teammate is another one I'd take with no hesitation. Great run blocker, held his ground against Mingo of LSU and other pass rushers throughout the year.
    • Sheldon Richardson - DT - Anybody see his game against Alabama? Unreal. Kid has 60+ tackles as a DEFENSIVE TACKLE. Lotulelei is creating a lot of buzz at this position, but this kid isn't far off.
    • Bradley Roby - CB - Don't know if he'd come out, but like what LBC was saying, kid has talent. I'd trade back, gain a pick a pick him up in the early 20's. Milliner and Banks or Rhodes will still go before him I believe.
    Round 2.
    • Desmond Trufant - CB - His game against Stanford and LSU (didn't throw his way) just shows you the talent this kid has. Think it would be a valuable pick in the 2nd round, because I believe we bring in a veteran corner, and start Sharecee Wright or Marcus Gilchrist, both have looked very good as of late.
    • Eric Fisher - OT/OG - Don't know if he'll last when we'll be picking, but it will be worth it. If we don't go OL on our first pick then he will be a need in the 2nd round.
    • Shayne Skov - ILB - Kids an animal, simple as that. Doubt he even lasts this long but you never know, expecting his stock to rise into the top 32.
    Round 3.
    • Quanterus Smith - OLB - So many pass rushers in this draft, that I think this kid, because of the conference he plays in will fall into the 3rd round. 12.5 sacks including a 3 sack game against Bama.
    • Leon McFadden - CB - Solid season this year for the SDSU guy. This is if we go DT, OL the first two rounds.
    • Ricky Wagner - OT/OG/C - This kid is very versatile, has played pretty much everywhere on the OL.
    Round 4.
    • Jonathan Franklin - RB - He's having a pretty good year running and catching the ball. I'd also take Montee Ball if he was available here, but he will most likely go 2nd, 3rd round with a weak running backs class.
    • Brandon Jenkins - OLB - He recently declared, so I think a round 4 developmental OLB would be solid for this team. We'd have to have SP re-signed though for a year or two.
    • Roy Roundtree - WR - Michigan's passing offense sucks. Simple as that, put this kid anywhere else he'd put up BIG numbers.
    Round 5.
    • Steve Greer - ILB - Very good year statistically for Virgina, we'll need someone to play with Butler in the future.
    • Brandon Ford - TE - This is a safety pick. Say Ladarius Green doesn't do the numbers we hope he can do once Gates steps out, we'll need someone to help out. Ford has shown he can get open, but I believe his problems this year have been drops. We have excellent coaches here for that, that's if there kept, Joiner (I know he's WR's) but he could groom this kid out.
    • James Wilson - OG - I'm sure his stock will rise but, might as well keep adding onto the OL in the later rounds.
    Round 6 & 7: BPA, but I will say this: I don't care if the kid has been in trouble. I think once they get their shot in the NFL, its a new chapter for them. Clean slate, to start over and do good. I know not every pick turns out this way, but look for example at Alfonzo Dennard. I was screaming for the Chargers to pick him up in the 6th or 7th round. What do you know, New England takes a shot on him, and he's played phenomenal. Already has 4 INT's I believe and multiple pass break ups. Whether it's Tyrann Mathieu or Tanner Brock, both were beasts at their positions and the Chargers sure need help at CB and ILB in the future.

5. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +348
    I agree that the pass rushing class is crazy deep. And as much as I love Werner, because his measurables are just out of this world. I think it's mandatory that we break the streak and draft a 1st round OT this year. In a perfect world, I would prefer that we trade back quite a few spots pick up some extra picks. So this is what my mock would look like right now in a dream scenario if we pick at #7, and trade back in the first. This will be based on what I would like to see which is to trade back to around pick #20, and pick up a round 2, and round 3 pick, because the middle of this draft is loaded. I haven't watched as much film, as I normally do this year because of work. But just based on what I have seen this is where I would be. So excuse if players are a little off as far as round status.

Round 1- Jake Matthews OT Texas A&M
    Round 1- Cornelius Carradine DE/OLB Florida St...Trade our 2nd, and a 4th to move back into the first round for him.
    Round 2- Jordan Poyer CB Oregon St
    Round 3- Desmond Trufant CB Washington
    Round 3- D.J. Fluker OT Alabama- not sure he will fall this far, but his stock fell a bit this year. He was great at RT in 2011, and would be a nice fit there for this team.
    Round 5- Brandon Jenkins DE/OLB Florida St- Was a potential first round pick before injury. If he can regain form, would be a steal here.
    Round 6- Spencer Long OG Nebraska
    Round 7- Theo Riddick RB Notre Dame