1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I know you don't want to hear my thoughts, but...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by 65TossPowerTrap, Nov 10, 2011.

1. 65TossPowerTrap

65TossPowerTrap BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +37
    I wanted the Chargers to win badly, because I hate the Raiders.

As many problems as this team has, I don't think they are that bad. In fact, I think they are as good or better than any team in the West (I know...not saying much), including the Raiders.

I understand in post loss anger, disappointment, whatever, the knee jerk reaction is to blame the coach, QB and GM (in some variation of that order).

I am not saying there aren't legitimate concerns among all three (especially coach), but...for THIS game, I didn't see a coaching melt down, awful quarterback play OR a lack of talent.

What I saw was some players who played their asses off and some players that flat out QUIT.

To me, if anything is to be blamed on the Head Coach it is that he has some players on the field who are not all in. One of them is Vincent Jackson. that interception was a KILLER, and it was almost entirely his fault. Yes Rivers threw into double coverage, but guess what, great QB and receiver tandems will take that shot every time. Phillip Rivers has made that same play countless times. This time, Jackson felt a hand on his back and instead of playing through the whistle, he immediately turned and locked eyes with the ref and flat out stopped. He didn't even look for the ball. then he allowed the interception. THEN he sat there and watched the guy return it 30 yards. Simply awful. If I were Rivers, I'd be tearing VJ a new one.

Norv has to get these players to buy in or get players who want to play on the field.

The O-line looked bad, but I am giving them a pass due to the fact that they were just decimated by injury all game. You can't expect that line to be particularly robust.

To me it comes back to a few players taking plays off. It makes the team look soft and unprepared. I don't think that reputation is particularly well-deserved.

• Like Like x 1
  2. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Pretty fair assessment, I have to say.

This could get ugly fast.

3. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Hey 65 toss, I think you view of our bolts is fair. I'm really on the side of lack of leadership from the coaching staff and GM. It is too much to ask for the players to self lead...it is not like there is only five players on the field at one time. The Bolts have not improved their talent pool over the past couple of years. We have tweaked things but not willing to make the changes where necessary. We need BEEF! and yes they need to be QUICK. Hard to find, but the teams that do find that talent will win!

4. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    I understand that, and you may be right. I think you DID find a receiver who has talent and is willing to use it on every play. You have one hungry Vincent and one Vincent going through the motions.

I don't know, maybe it's my perspective as a Chiefs fan who has watched our team struggle with a decided talent disadvantage for several years until very recently...but I look from position to position on the chargers and I see a LOT of talent.

What I DON'T see is a winning attitude. I don't see a complete TEAM. I don't see consistent, unified, EFFORT.

I guess in the absence of any other reasoning, if my perception has any truth to it, and if the "problem children" can't be benched or turned around, that has to fall primarily on the head coach.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    I also agree it's a fair assessment though I feel VJ is getting far more heat then he deserves. The man has talent and just lacks heart and discipline which needs to be enforced by the Head Coach.

I always has a indifference towards the Raiders organization but after to day I despise them. Every play they went for Rivers knees or WR's throats(Brown's TD that was called off) What a disgusting organization and I hope they lose every game out from here one. Trash.

6. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    I can't disagree with your assessment of the Raiders. When we played them and we were up 28-0, Matt Cassel said they were going for his knees on every play, and that they were saying they were going to take him out. After they hit Jackie Battle into the bench when he was about 4 yards out of bounds and FINALLY got a flag, Cassel went to Haley and begged him to let him take another shot instead of running out the clock. Haley let him, and Cassel threw an incompletion to Bowe about 35 yards down the field when there was about 2 minutes left. Hue didn't like that one, but honestly, they deserved it. Such a dirty team. Even when we finally went to victory formation, they kept firing across trying to get hands under the facemasks of our O-line. The rookies on our team who have obviously never played the Raiders all said, "Now we know what the big deal is...these guys are dirty."

• Like Like x 1
  7. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    The Raiders have always been dirty. Al Davis was a rotten, stinking D-bag who built the team to be exactly what it was, and is: a batch of rag-tag rogues who never heard of playing fair and wouldn't know decency if it bit 'em in the huevos. That said, the man knew his football and he built a damn good franchise that was both hated and feared, but respected. They've sucked pretty badly for some years now, but they have turned a corner and are returning to their roots. Hate 'em or love 'em---and I'm definitely a Raider Hater!---they're exciting to watch. They were right up in our $#!+ all night, just like the Raiders of old, playing dirty and breaking the rules. Makes 'em easy to hate again. :mad:

8. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    If VJ has to be motivated to play by anyone other than himself he is truly in the wrong line of work.

The truly great players in any sport have the ability to self-motivate, it should not have to be the job of others to make a player want to reach his potential.

VJ has a world of talent and wants to be regarded as a #1. Fair enough, I feel he has proven he has the physical skills to play at that level.

What he has NOT proven, however, is that he has the mental makeup to push himself. The great players don't simply vanish or take plays off when their team needs them to step up. He did both tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 65TossPowerTrap

Ratings:
    +37
    I wish this didn't sound so familiar...but...Hello Dwayne Bowe.

I don't care much for Todd Haley as a person, but I have to admit, he's a pretty good motivator when he has the right personalities around him, and he just has a way of dealing with primadona wide receivers.

I don't question Norv's Xs and Os, but I am not convinced he has the force of personality to motivate 53 men in one direction. I know we like to think everyone should be self-motivated, but the reality is, in all lines of work, not everyone is.

10. BoltFanDC

Ratings:
    +329
    You see Bowe a lot more than we do, so I will defer to you here.

As for Norv's personality, I have to agree that he is not a motivator. I saw that firsthand here in Washington many years ago (before Dan Snyder effectively ran him out of town in 2000).

In Norv's defense though, the Redskins were an absolute disaster when he took over in 1993 and he actually did get them going in the right direction for a time. When Mr. Cooke died and Snyder took over, it was kind of the beginning of the end of him here.

11. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    "As for Norv's personality, I have to agree that he is not a motivator. I saw that firsthand here in Washington many years ago (before Dan Snyder effectively ran him out of town in 2000)."--- by BoltFanDC

=====

I wish we had someone who would effectively run him out of town here, too.

12. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Norv is at best an Offensive Co-ordinator in a HC's position. He doesn't have the people skills and true leadership skills to be a head coach in my view.