1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I like how our defense is coming together...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I think a lot of media consider our defense to be subpar, but I think we'll surprise some people next year. We'll see what happens in the draft, but I doubt whoever we pick up will be inserted into the starting lineup.

We've obviously gone to more of a rotational approach for the front 7 and we've already got a lot of bodies on the defense. One thing that put us at a dissadvantage last year is that we had some key guys learning roles, and the initial plan was changed about a quarter of the season in. I think we'll see a lot more out of guys like Larry English and Martin this year. I also think it's also clear that our scheme is designed for team success over individual stats...much like Indy's has been and the NY Jets who had a top defense with less sacks and pressure than us. Cromartie was a liability as he never bought in to do his part...We have more of the blue collar makeup with a lot of these guys that should help.

A quick look at the roster:

DL- Scott, Nwagbuo, Martin, Cesaire, Boone, Castillo, Garay, Bingham...a lot of guys who rotated pretty well last year when they finally got in synch with each other. If we add one or two linemen through the draft, someone is going to have to go...but who? Seems like we already have big plans for Garay....You have to expect that Martin is going to see more playing time...we re-signed Scott and Boone for a reason....I don't think we'll be adding too much to this group and whoever we do add is going to be seeing a lot of bench time unless they come in and just blow the coaches away.

LB- Cooper, Phillips, Siler, Merriman, Tucker, English, Burnett, Holt, Applewhite, Dobbins...another big group of guys with some returning from injury...some of whom have very defined skill sets and could lend to a lot of rotating. I don't see us really drafting someone in the 3rd or later rounds that's going to come in here and be much other than a ST player. English is definitely going to see more playing time...We don't have a star ILB, but we have guys that do certain things really well (Siler- plug gaps/run stuff, Burnett- coverage....etc.)

Secondary- Jammer, Cason, Weddle, Ellison, Spillman, Oliver, Gregory, Strickland, Vasher, Hughes....with our 2 FA vet CB acquisitions, I don't see a whole lot of room for change here either. We also have a ton of safeties who are getting more experienced. The more I think about it, I just can't see AJ drafting a CB unless they REALLY don't like Cason....but I think we already have some insurance in case he falters.

I think our D will have a natural progression this year with a lot of the roles better established and a deeper pool of players who have come back from injury. We had guys on the sidelines last year like Martin, who are better able to contribute now...we also have a more veteran, blue collar group in the secondary....The two remaining divas on this defense (Merriman and Phillips) will also see some of their time cut IMO as we give English and Tucker more snaps to keep everyone healthy and fresh.

I could easily see us starting the season with our current group..and it would be better than a lot of people think.....We'll see what happens at the end of this week...but I think this is going to be a pretty offensive focused draft aside from maybe an early 1st or 2nd round pick at DE or DT.

2. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I'm totally with you man. If anything, we would add a NT on defense like you said but what you said about us being a team instead of having individual stars is right on the money. We didn't have an 11 game streak last year for nothing, our defense stepped it up when it mattered. We did allow an average of 20 points per game (11th in the NFL), but our offense had 28 points per game (4th). We had 35 sacks this season and only gave up 26. We had 51 touchdowns this season and only gave up 35...

Rivera is an excellent defensive coordinator and created a superbowl-caliber defense out of the Bears back in '05. As long as people accept their roles this year and understand that it is a team effort, not an individual effort, our defense will play at a high caliber level. But we definitely need a defensive leader, maybe Siler will step it up and be the vocal presence we need on defense.

As of the draft, I'm definitely thinking we are going to draft a WR at some point. I'm sure AJ is happy with the defense and how it has progressed so I can't see him drafting too much defense. I think he will draft a WR because Buster may not be all he's turned out to be, we lost a WR in the beginning of the season last year (chambers), and VJ and Floyd are on 1-year tenders. We probably will draft a TE to replace Manu and most likely an offensive lineman. This will also be Cason's year to prove himself.. if he doesn't perform well, he'll probably split time with Vasher and then we'll draft a CB next year.
    Good Post boltergeist :tup:

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    DL- Quantity of bodies, doesn't equal quality of bodies. We 2 guys who are really young (Martin and OG) and could be good in a year or 2, but at this point, they are nothing great. We have a few backups/Role players (Garay, Scott, Cesaire, Boone) who should be looked at as nothing more than back up's. We have Castillo who has not even gotten close to earning his pay check, and in many games doesn't look like he belongs on the field. And we have Bingham who is expected to be good, but coming off injury and ever really starting, it is hard to saw what he will be capable of.

Overall, our line looks like garbage. I don't see who people can possible be excited about this group. We need to add a potential starter at NT AND DE

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Good write-up,

I thought we lacked play making on first down if my memory of our defense serves.

I don't know if that's scheme or talent but, I hope whoever we draft focuses on that aspect if the problem was talent.

That said, I hope we draft RB and somebody to help us gain 4 yards whenever we need, if we go offense

:bolt:

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    We are in for a LONG season if that is true.

6. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I don't think he re-signed Scott and Boone and signed Garay for nothing.. We'll see what happens though

7. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think he has a valid point IF Shawne & Castillio improve.

but I agree with getting some improvement on the interior line.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    So that we have bodies to compete for a job in camp. If those guys make it, someone else won't. But we really need to add 2 potential starters to the front 7, either at NT, DE, or ILB, then we need to add another safety to compete for a job with Ellison.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That is IF Shawne is even on the team. I will not expect much from the OLB's if the starters are English and Phillips, and with Rivera calling is non-attacking defense

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    lotta ifs

Gotta trust the front office

:bolt:

11. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Agreed, NT and DE need an upgrade (tyson alualu might be able to play both which is why I can see us drafting him). ILB, no. Siler has stepped it up and Cooper and Dobbins are good aswell. If anything, we'd get an OLB to replace Phillips or Merriman. Keep in mind, English can be moved to DE if need be

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Cooper, Burnett, and Dobbins have shown to be nothing more than backups/platoon guys. We need another legit starter to go next to Siler. This is definitely not a priority, but something to consider if a quality player falls into our lap.

Tyson Alualu is only 295, there is no way he can be an effective NT. I am good with him at DE, but not a chance is he playing NT unless he puts on 25+ lbs in a hurry.

English can play DE if we are in a 4-3, but in a 3-4 he would be a joke at DE. Seriously, the dude is 255lbs. He is smaller than Merriman AND Phillips.

13. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    We no longer play a 'traditional' 3/4 D, so I'm not so easily categorize. We play more of a hybrid 3/4 that morphs into almost a 4/3 often....The Patriots also do similar things.

I do agree that regardless, English won't really be playing at DE in our D. We still primarily keep 3 big down linemen upfront....the one change is that our D doesn't necessarily require a 350lb NT to anchor the line. Note that the Jets #1 ranked D lost Kris Jenkins for the last half of last year and they were able to adjust.....Rex Ryan also runs a very hybrid style of defense.

• Like Like x 1
  14. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    of course he can, he's samoan! no offense to samoans but they can bulk up when necessary

15. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    We use a base 3-4 defense. All teams who use a base 3-4 D will show 4-3 looks especially on passing downs. There is no such thing as a hybrid 3-4 or 4-3 D unless we are talking about zone and man coverages. Cover 4 is sometimes called a hybrid defense because it is half man and half zone coverage.

We can not run a 4-3 base because that requires a major overhaul in personnel. The Patriots have a lot of first stringers on the D-line which allowed them to run a 3-4 with DT's who can play a two-gap technique (which is unheard of unless you have the horses) and show a 4-3 look without rotating in fresh meat. The Chargers would keep Jamal in for their 4-3 look packages occasionally these last few season which was rare to see and the results were not pretty.

16. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I think our defensive line absolutely needs improvement. Castillo is nothing more than an average lineman at this point, and the rest of the guys get shoved around too. If we had good quality players in there, we don't get torn up by the run game. You can't tell me that pro bowl players can be looked at in the same vein as a large group of average players.

17. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think if we can get a NT that demands and controls double teams the affect on our defense will be immediate. All of a sudden Castillo looks like he did back in 06' when Jamal was healthy. Our pass rush is more effective as they can't give as much attention to Merriman and Phillips, our secondary is able to make more plays etc...

The problem is finding the right guy, a guy who can control the LOS and collapse the pocket like Jamal used too.

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I will be happy with this draft only if we get a good NT and a couple of good RB's, one big one and one fast. The other picks can be just about anything, depending on who is available at that particular pick. We address the above needs and the rest can simply be the best player available. I'm not going to slot Vaughn Martin or OG as anything until we see what they do in training camp and preseason. Same with Merriman and English.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You are right, we don't need a 350 pounder, we need a 330 pounder. The NT is the most important position on our defense. And you use the Pats as an example, yet they just franchised their NT.

Balt and Pitt also play a similar hybrid system, and both have huge NT's as an important part of their defense