1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I like Mike.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Electric Chair, Nov 19, 2007.

1. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Micheal Vick has won me over. This guy has owned his mistake, and is taking the right steps towards making his name right again. I am a dog owner and a HUGE dog lover, but he has shown true remorse for what he did in my humble opinion.

Turning himself in early today shows that this guy is manning up to what he did. Granted, the cynic in me says that it's because he is trying to play (get paid) next year, but I really think that the guy is sincerely trying to just move on to the next chapter in his life. I felt that way at his original presser when he spoke from the heart instead of reading a prepared statement. That took guts.

Watch how the Bonds fiasco plays out and you will agree that Vick handled this whole situation like a man. People mess up. Own it, pay the price, and move on.

I can forgive that.

I hope the court shows leniency when they sentence him.

2. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    I agree to a point, but did you watch his presser when he plead guilty? He didn't read anything, he just said, "I am not a great public speaker, but I want to let you all hear where I am coming from" (something along those lines). I really think the guy is sorry. You can read it in his body language.

He is obviously sane enough to do the right thing so that he can move closer to those NFL sized pay checks again. I get that. But he grew up in a culture where his crime was the norm. "We" don't get it, but there are tons of people living in rural or poor neighborhoods that see nothing wrong with dog fighting.

I think he is sorry, and he deserves a second chance. IMHO, of course.

3. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Probably wanted an excuse to not spend Thanksgiving with the family.

4. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

Maybe he thinks Lindsey Lohan is still in there and he would have someone to talk to :icon_mrgreen:

5. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    I didn't see this thread and just read this on yahoosports...I also tend to agree it is a self-serving ploy...but I can also feel just a little bit of empathy for him about to enter prison for up to five years...but he knew what he was doing was completely wrong...he hid it. And he did not seem too remorseful for it while it was going on...I can't help but think the Judge will see through the "ploy" part of it...I would have a very hard time surrendering myself before my last Thanksgiving with my family...maybe the day after. Only Mike knows if he is truly sorry and remorseful...and not just about being caught.

I do think once in a while the true gravity of bad deeds can shine a light into someone's head/soul and truly make them see what they have done...but not very often. And once he's served his time, it should be behind him...if he stays on the straight and narrow.

6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    As a big VT fan & a native of Surry County, VA, I was a big Mike Vick fan & happy to hear that he had purchased a home in my home town. I wanted Mike to succeed, just as I wanted his crime to be a big misunderstanding.

I, too, am a dog person. I love dogs, especially my big sweetheart rottie. I believe in second chances, too. I truly hope that Mike has repented & taken a new direction with his life.

It's going to be very hard for me to ever trust him again. That's my issue, not his. I have no way of looking into this man's heart to see how remorseful he really is. All I can do is wait & see & try to forgive.

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    EC -

He's been a better marketing machine than he has been a QB in the NFL.

Maybe he'll come out of prison at about the time the Raiders finally realize Jamarcus Russell is a bust, and we'll get to see the Chargers chase Vick's tired old legs, watch him make poor decisions, and serve up picks.

I hope the judge gives him as much time as possible.

I tend to agree with pft.com (Mike Florio) on this ...

8. pgreenbe305

pgreenbe305 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +22
    Dude, I think much of what you say is good, but that's like saying if you lived in a house where you got molested, you think it's the norm and ok to do. People see bad/ wrong stuff go on daily, depending on where they live, but we all possess something that tells us whether it's right or wrong, and that enables us to choose to "do" or "not do" things. If you're around crime or vile acts your entire life, you don't just assimilate to it and follow those actions. I've mentored enough kids (poor, ghetto, rich, etc.) that know better not to emulate wrong behavior. I agree that people can be influenced, but right is right and wrong is wrong. That said, I hope he can rectify his life and move on.

9. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288
    He still sucks as a QB :yes:

10. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    We've seen way to many second chances produce the same results, especially when dealing with new money gangster athletes.

• Like Like x 1
  11. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    I can't believe people are feeling sorry for him. The guy was purposely and knowingly breeding dogs to fight to the death and if they weren't any good he was brutally killing them himself. It sounds pretty cold hearted to me.

I think he's doing it just to get his prison time started early so he can get out of the slammer early. Remorse???... I think the only thing he regrets is getting caught.

Does anyone know... is he going to white collar prison or to the 'pound you in the ***" type prison ???

12. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Who the hell is Vick going to snitch on? Arthur Blank for signing his paychecks? The real estate agent that sold him the property? The other people who may be on the same level as him, but nobody knows and hence, nobody cares about?

13. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I like Mike too !!!

I'm in the camp that he (like all people) deserve a second chance.

I grew up in the south and dogfighting is a deeply held southern tradition that has been going on since the 1700's much like kock fighting in lousiana. BTW, kock fighting is still legal in the state of la.

I remember as a kid attending dogfights as well. At the time, it wasn't so much about the dogs killing each other as it was about the betting. :icon_eek:

I'm not trying to justify what he did as it was barbaric, but non-southerners are repulsed by what he did and rightfully so. As a southerner, I'm incredibly disappointed. We need to stop dogfighting and wipe it off the face of the earth.

14. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    This is true, but have you heard the latest? Evidently, he is also mixed up in dolphin fighting. Can you forgive that?

15. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    [​IMG]

16. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    So that's not the guy who owns the property and pays for everything? :icon_huh:

17. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I like MadMike!

I just wish he was here more cause his avatar rocks! (insert poster annoying smily here)

18. PhillyChargerFan

PhillyChargerFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +288

EC avatar is driving me CRAZY!!! that has to be the PERFECT AZZ EVER!!!! :yes:

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    His fish avatar is also nothing to poke a stick at...

Gratuitous smiley!
    [​IMG]

20. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    I thought this was gonna be a thread about Mike Ditka.

:unsure:

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Nah, Dikta has lost his mojo since he started doing lame comercials with horse face...

22. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Time will will tell if he is truly remorseful or not. To breeze through a few of the points made, PR#1's point about it being a part of Southern culture is exactly what I meant. There is a huge portion of the population that will never understand it outside of that part of the country.

Relating it to child molestation, sorry, that is moving a little too fast down the old slippery slope for me. As much as I love dogs, the two crimes are not even in the stratosphere from where I sit.

His quarterbacking skills are another point all together, but that's also the only reason he is even doing time. The Feds love going after high profile public figures. For christs sake, Martha Stewart did time for something that 100% of us would have done if we were in the same position.

The dude has to pay back millions to the Falcons in bonus money. At what point does the punishment start to not fit the crime? Like was previously stated, most average folks would get a slap on the wrist for this crime, as disgusting as it is.

23. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Now there you have a point. But he did the crime, and is a highly visible public figure. Of course the team is going to try and get the cash back. But he is taking it in the shorts for this. Maybe if he came clean in the first place it might be different?

24. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    What do you call pleading guilty? :icon_shrug:

Only an idiot would plead guilty before the facts came out. Once the facts came out, he plead guilty. Done deal.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    IIRC at first he said he was not guilty. It wasnt until people in custody started rolling on him that he switched. I could be wrong, but that is what I recal and what I am eluding to in my post. Sorry if you disagree, or if I am incorrect.

26. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    That's exactly what happened but that is how the system works. Again, only a fuggin idiot would come right out and plead guilty before hearing what evidence the prosecution had.