1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I like the interchangeable, adaptable parts we have on this team...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    I think that we've been getting some glimpses of the vision of the direction of this team. Philosophically, we appear to be very much following the blueprints of the Patriots and Giants. We have players with varied skill sets on both sides of the ball who can be plugged into a variety of game situations.

Consider a guy like Kevin Ellison as an example. A lot of Chargers sites have some pretty active debates as to whether or not he is going to be a "starter"...I don't see it that way. There are going to be game situations where we are playing a team that has an exceedingly strong running game....or the game situation is 3rd and short.... Enter Ellison who is a sledgehammer at SS that we didn't have before...Ellison essentially becomes an extra LB who excels at blowing up running plays. He won't need to change positions...He'll just be rotated in on certain game situations and will play more against certain teams. Not unlike when we would bring in Siler last year on goalline plays to stop short runs.

With our rotation of OLBers...as already mentioned by the coaching staff...we have a lot of options to cause confusion, mismatches and pressure sometimes with 4 OLBers on the field at one time.

We also have a 4 CB's who have seen plenty of game time and can give us excellent coverage in nickel and dime packages.

I think the days of a traditional 3/4 defense with a set rotation of starters is gone. We've already seen glimpses of this with Rivera and his hybrid schemes....The Patriots have been doing this for years...and the Giants really started mixing up their front seven often during their superbowl year.

On offense, we have the same moving parts at WR and RB to load up with certain positions in varied game situations. Even our FBs (Hester and Tolbert) give us more options.

Deception, trickery and keeping teams off balance is an advantage...but even more so when you have an abundance of good players to be effective in all sorts of scenarios like the Patriots have. It also helps when you have injuries (knock on wood) and don't have to rely on individuals as much as other teams might.

This direction is a far cry from the Schottenheimer era offense / defense and while the adjustment has taken a while (in part because we made an extremely poor hire in Cotrell), I like this direction. We just need to shore up or foundation (Offensive / Defensive lines) a bit and we'll really be a team no one wants to play.
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Apr 13, 2007
    The real trick will come when it is time to keep all of those perceived capabilities yet meet the 53 man cut. Good post!
  3. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2005
    excellent take, :tup:

Although I'm not sure I would put Norv's offense in the

"Deception, trickery and keeping teams off balance" category

just yet....

4. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Jul 21, 2006
    Excellent post!
  5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Feb 14, 2006
    There is no way you can get around not having a DOMINANT NT for the 3-4 defense to work. You need a set rotation of STARTERS and not just a mix of second stringers otherwise, the 3-4 will not work.

Rivera used a 4-3 look with Jamal on the line which is not suited for this 3-4 team but it gives the other team something to think about or what I think you meant by hybrid. All of our defensive coaches have used this variation or look so it is not new.

The Patriots could rotate their linemen who were mostly first round picks on the defense. That can happen when you have athletic ballers. The Giants have better back ups on defensive line than we do. It was impressive to see second string LINE guys get the job done.

Our line depth has to get better and to date no one is being crowned heir apparent to Igor. This needs to happen and not wishful thinking of hybrid defenses.

When we show a 4-3 look just watch how this defense pisses right down its leg. It is almost as bad as when Jamal is not at NT.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Aug 12, 2006
    I don't see how we can afford to accomodate Ellison numberswise if he cannot be an almost full time player.
  7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Jul 27, 2007
    That's a great post man. What I like about this upcoming season is we will have Rivera from day ONE from Mini-Camp to Regular Season. He has a better feel of how to use each player and get the most out of them. The key with the winning teams is that they don't drop off in depth on both sides of the ball and yes, their starters are top notch which most of ours are. I think it's when you sub in and out that you don't lose depth talent and scheme wise. For example, when LT and Turner were subbing in and out at RB or when Merriman is out, somebody like a Tucker steps right in and gives him a breather. You always have fresh bodies going in and out with no talent drop-off. I see some real solid potential in the draft crop and many will contribute this year and in the coming years imo.
    • Like Like x 1