1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I might be done with AJ too.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Oct 24, 2010.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Just sayin

2. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    AJ and Norv have both contributed to the Chargers downfall just as much as our success of late...been more Failure than sucess...I rest my case!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Now you're waking up.

• Like Like x 1
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Start from scratch????

5. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I don't think we need to. But I think we need a attitude, and we need discipline. We need better play calling. We need better line play.

I'm not sure how we get there. But if AJ can't see it for what it is, then I'm done with him too.

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    starting from fromula

7. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    A new HC may be a start, one that will kicka s s and make one pay for fawking up during a game. AJ, needs to back out of the coaching job and keep his mouth shut.

8. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    How many games in a row now is that we have had multiple turnovers. NOW the new thing is the players do not want to finish the play. The balls on the ground and nobody wants it. Twice it was by our Offense. I guess you don’t have to play till you hear the whistle anymore. Norv doesn’t hold anyone accountable. Special teams are still giving up huge returns. STUPID STUPID penalties. We can keep going on but what good is

9. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I don't think AJ's the greatest GM since sliced bread like I once did but I still think we can win with him if we had a better head coach.

That being said, since Norv is kinda AJ's guy if it means Norv's gone I'd be fine with AJ being gone as well.

10. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    exactly, no accountability. Somebody should have been benched after the FIRST bonehead play

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    I agree with this.

12. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Since I was one that thought the Chargers were going to be a force this year, I have lost all confidence im my own opinions.

With that said, I in line with others who feel we won't get a great head coach while AJ is GM. I have heard/read enough to draw the conclusion that AJ won't allow a HC the breathing room to run the team their way. A good head coach won't be a "yes man".

So, I'm on board with a GM and HC change at the end of the season.

13. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I can get on board here. I'll give him a pass if AJ could man up and admit he screwed up with Norv.

14. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I agree. If we change the coach, we need to change the front office. AJ will not do whatever it takes to win. He also is getting to be a dictator. I think his actions will hurt is in the player department in the future.

15. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I think your right on target. I felt the same way. After this dreadful offseason, and bad start to the season, I have soured on AJ.
    He wants his hand in everything, and surronds himself with yes men. Norv is a wimp and a puppet. He maybe a decent offensive coordinator, but he is no coach.
    He doesn't have the personality for it.

16. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    We all knew this team had major holes this offseason. But we brought in no one via free agency, left two major pieces holding out, and spend our first two picks on a RB we don't need/use.

Great choices, AJ.

Best team you've ever coached huh, Norv? Great.

17. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Well said. I'm with ya.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I'm not done with AJ but he's on incredibly thin ice with me

19. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    If AJ fires (assuming he has the authority) Norv, and hires (again, assuming he has the authority) a good coach, then he can stay, if not, he's gone too

BTW, would the kid Spanos be the new GM?

20. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I don’t know how much truth there is to it. But I read where several high ranking College Coaches came in for an Interview while the Chargers were looking after Marty was fired. One of them indicated that as long as Spanos was not willing to pay top $$$$$ for a head coach, we will always have second tier coaches. Is that because of AJ or is it Spanos being cheap?

21. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    Interesting point. AJ must have the same thing Jerry Jones has. Bringing in enablers.

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    A.J. forgives those who doubt.

23. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I don't get the point of this thread, have the Chargers ever had a better GM?

1960 Frank Leahy

1960-1971 Sid Gillman

1971-1976 Harland Svare

1976-1987 John Sanders

1987-1990 Steve Ortmayer

1990-2000 Bobby Beathard

2001-2003 John Butler

2003 A.J. Smith

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Maybe, maybe not. But even if I accept the premise that he's the best of those that came before him that doesn't necessarily mean he's the answer for winning in the future. (Doesn't mean he isn't, either)

25. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942

It seems to me that the issue is execution, and that falls squarely on coaching. I just don't see the problem with the GM's talent acquisition/retention.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I was just focusing on logical argument there and not necessarily the specifics.

I pretty much agree with you, but as I said earlier I wouldn't complain if AJ was fired because for whatever reason that's what it would take to replace Norv.

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    I'm still of the belief that the "ego" argument gets massively blown out of proportion. Does AJ Smith have an ego? Yes. I'd argue that to succeed as a man in the position he's asked to fill you HAVE to have an ego to you. The guys who are touted as some of the best GM's currently in this business (Ozzie Newsome, Bill Belichick, Ted Thompson, Bill Polian, Jerry Reese) all have egos... some of them have HUGE egos (BB, TT, and Polian for sure!).

And, if I'm being honest here, I'm not seeing a whole lot of viable options out there to be brought in to replace him. GM's are different from HC's, there's a considerably smaller pool of qualified and actually "good" candidates to be had. At best, maybe we'd be looking at Eric DeCosta (Newsome's perceived "protege" in Baltimore) or Floyd Reese (former Titans GM, current Patriots FO Adviser), both of whom are strong draft guys but have either very little (DeCosta) or just not a good track record (Reese) when it comes to operating on the team side of a bargaining table or in negotiating trades.

I also think that Norv's submissive personality (or lack of a personality in general) has made people more unreasonably prone to believe that AJ cannot coexist with a "quality" coach with a dominant personality. It's all a matter of similar personalities. There are guys out there who can instill regiment and a stronger sense of accountability in this team and get along with AJ Smith. They're just not going to be the boisterous and loud Rex Ryan or Jon Gruden types. Coaches with similar personalities to say Mike Tomlin or Mike Smith could very easily coexist with AJ.

28. sdbound

Ratings:
    +942
    OK, now we're getting to the real issue. Perhaps I've missed something (quite possible, maybe even damned likely), but why wouldn't A.J. during the season ending evaluation conclude that Norv needed to be replaced, if execution doesn't turn around.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I don't really fall under the belief that AJ and Norv are BFFs and AJ wants to keep Norval around no matter what.

I was more just speaking under the pretense of if I'm wrong on that account and he really does just want his yes-man there.

30. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    AJ is a good GM and I don't want to see him go. This team has featured enough talent & depth to be a consitent postseason participant and dare I say, a championship contender. Let's not forget, we lost 4 starters to injury in Week 1 of last season, and after a few early hiccups we reeled off 11 wins in a row. We cannot go from an elite team to complete crap in just 1 offseason, with basically the same personnel that we had last season.

I think it's coaching. This team is just not prepared to play week in & week out, they are undiciplined and don't ever play a complete game, from the opening kickoff to the final whistle. They don't play with a sense of urgency until they are several scores behind late in the 2nd half, and for that I fault the supposed offensive mastermind who also doubles as our Head Coach.