1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I must admit, I am losing faith in AJ

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bolt Attack, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    I don't start many threads, however I am so irritated that I feel that I need to voice my concerns. Initially, I believed that what AJ was doing was in the best interest of the team; he was following the New England model and it sure seemed to work for them....build your team through the draft.....well, lets see, in my humble opinion the time for that has past....even the great Patriots realize that after time when your stars begin to age and your window of opportunity begins to fade they pick up necessary players through free agency...AJ is so stuck with building the team through the draft that he is blind that we are now on the down side of the hill and rapidly watching the window close. NOW IS THE TIME TO PUT SOME OF THE OLD HABITS TO REST AND SIGN SOMEONE WHO CAN TAKES US TO THE OTHER SIDE. I am not advocating that we go out and buy every player in free agency, however I do think that we should have at least tried to get one great player to fill our many holes. Why we would not at least try and entertain someone like Brian Dawkins is a mystery to me...so what are we left with? Watching teams in our division get better why we just wait and hope that a new draft pick will figure it out in their rookie season...which we all know the chances of that...and then meanwhile we watch the window continue to close on our aging stars.

Sorry everyone, just felt like I needed to rant.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    [​IMG]

THIS IS GOD SPEAKING

HOW DARE YOU QUESTION MY GREATNESS

GET ON YOUR KNEES AND BEG FORGIVENESS
    :icon_eek: :icon_twisted: :icon_eek:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bolt Attack

Bolt Attack BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Lol that was funny.

4. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Ok play Gawd for a minute and tell us who you would have signed?

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I'm just hopin we're not gonna miss Buddy Nix as much as I think we might.

To answer previous poster I guess the OP would have recommended going after Brian Dawkins for one?.

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    DO you think he is worth 17 mil?

FIVE YEARS, $17 MILLION FOR DAWKINS
    Posted by Mike Florio on February 28, 2009, 2:51 p.m. EST
    Who said free agency isn’t for old guys?

Veteran safety Brian Dawkins, a 13-year veteran who’s 35 years old, has gotten a five-year, $17 million deal in Denver, according to Adam Schefter of NFL Network. The deal includes $7.2 million in guaranteed money.

Per Schefter the deal would be worth as much as $27 million. It also could be voided by the team to a two-year, $9 million package.

Dawkins is one of several free agents whom the Broncos have added in less than 40 hours of free agency.

7. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    We have a good team, albeit one that needs to get it's head out of it's collective asses. Take a deep breath and wait and see how it all shakes out.

If A.J. gets the LT situation resolved, gets Darren Sproles signed long term, and gets Rivers and Merriman extended, that's all way better than bringing in some other teams aging castoff. Think about it, if these free agents are all so good, why are their teams letting them walk?

As for the other teams in our division going out and bringing in new guys, the two doing most of it have new people running the show, and have many holes to fill.

8. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Exactly. Last year many Bolt fans were saying, "Wow, the Raiders are really going to be better this year. Look at all the FAs they signed."

The Donks overpaid to add another aging vet to an already old secondary. They added two castoff RBs and a #3 receiver, and suddenly everybody's ******** a brick. Relax, people. FAs rarely have the impact people expect.

As for the Chiefs, I'm still not completely sold on Cassell being a pro bowl QB. I think he'll be a good not great player for the Chiefs. That's certainly better than what they have had, but they have alot of holes to fill. Personally, I'm glad we get to play that douchebag Vrabel twice a year.

9. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    are you losing faith cause he hasnt gone out and over paid for all these guys that have been signed? there is not one player that has been signed that i would give that type of money too, i think you need to settle down

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928

17 million over 5 years isn't alot of money but its a ridiculously long contract for someone who's that old.

I know that we don't have to go out and go nuts and grab people off the shelf of the free agent market but would it kill us to have someone over and see about signing a few free agents?

11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,804
    Until LT is re-signed, I don't give two poops about anything or anyone else really...

I trust that Norv and Rivera have made clear what they need from AJ re: Free Agency, and that those needs will be addressed accordingly. Fingers crossed ;)

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yeah. Better meaning possibly 5 or 6 wins.

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think our focus has to be on re-signing our own players first (Rivers, Merriman, re-signing LT, VJ, Sproles, etc.)

14. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Who and when :icon_shrug: I honestly don't remember any Bolts fans talkin up the Raiders chances for 2008. I do remember all of us laughing at all the players they overpaid for and they're doing it again.

Scott Pioli in KC concerns me. He pulled off a great trade for Cassell and Vrabel. A second rounder :icon_huh: Hell, AJ gives those away like halloween candy. At least the Chiefs gained leadership on defense and a promising QB!

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Exactly... BDH put it best when he said "they're putting brand new rims and installing a loud stereo system on a rust bucket vehicle." :lol:

16. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Just because Denver has signed 2 backup RB's, a 36 year old safety and another safety who is average doesnt mean they are going to be good. They will be beter most likely but i think they will be better just because they got rid of their DC who SUCKED! Oh and they signed Andra Davis....big deal, he isnt that great either.

Cutler is piszed and wants out now.

I heard a Philly journalist say that it was tough to see Dawkins leave but he didnt have his typical year last season so he may be slowing down.

I hope we sign SS Sean Jones. Id be fine if he is the only player we sign and he is much younger than Dawkins. Id rather have him than resign Florence to play safety but im sure AJ looks at iut as somebody he can sign who knows our system and he was released and wont count as a FA signing....which i dont give a crap about.

17. Charger Dave

Charger Dave Dead account

Ratings:
    +1,028
    I'll finally rant just a little bit too. Have a look at the current NFL Transactions Page - notice that only 14 teams are listed - of those, some are just announcing trades or letting players go to FA - only *10* have been listed as actually having signed FA's here in the early days of this free agency period. (I'm not going to bother to check if any of those listed were their own UFA they re-signed after letting him test the waters). What this means to me is that over 2/3rds of the 32 NFL Teams *AREN'T* listed - *AREN'T* making a "big splash" - but are continuing to build their teams in a conservative manner through trades and the draft. It also would indicated that 2/3rds of the NFL Team Forums are full of frustrated arm-chair GMs that want to SPEND, SPEND, SPEND!

My advice is to set back, relax, have a beer if you are so inclined, and enjoy the rest of the FA period. :icon_toast:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    [​IMG]
    "Let's not start sucking each other's ***** just yet."

He gave up a very early 2nd round pick for an old man on his way out of the league, and career back-up with ONE decent season on a team that almost went undefeated a year earlier.

I'll continue to wait and see how good Pioli is, and how much he rode Belichick's coattails.

19. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Exactly. Buckhalter and Arrington never broke through with their old teams despite being given numerous opportunities. Dawkins has been pretty good, but he is clearly a descending player.

20. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    I'm not one that would think we need a 35 year old to fix our issues. The other names out signed huge deals, many that weren't wortht he cost including 100 mill to Haynesworth. Only way free agency makes much sense is when the market is in your favor, paying Bart Scott the type money he just inked is not suggestive that the market is in a teams best favor.

I know I get a little jealous seeing glamorous signings in free agency but not even the Patriots have won a ring with that mind set. They brought in Harrison, and some scrubby recievers to win one of their rings. Other than that, they won with staples. The Steelers the same exact thing, not one huge free agent accusition that made a difference in obtaining a ring.

The Colts won their Lombardi with the corp group of guys they had for years. Just off the top of my head I can't think of one big time free agent signing that ensured a championship. I am sure AJ would love to have signed a few guys here and there the past few seasons but I have to respect his opinion to pass based on what it would cost the franchise, if it were anywhere near a guarantee, he would have signed one or two or 22.

21. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    This team was in the AFC Championship two years ago and had it not been for injuries I think we would have handled the Pats. Last year being what it was (without Merriman) we still crushed Denver, won the west and won a home playoff game. AJ has brought in guys when he thought it would push us over the top (Chambers for one). The playoff game in Pittsburgh showed what most of us knew: our defense is soft. Let's see what he does to address that before we go through the annual stress of AJ waiting until free agency shakes out (and everybody pays through the nose for old, marginal talent) before we cast doubt.

We need angry, black Steve Foleys all over our defense and get rid of Wilhelm. We need thumpers in the middle. :yes:

22. 31-last2years-4

31-last2years-4 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    ...BB knew what he was doing sending Pioli, McDaniels and two good players, one which very well have been a cap casualty in Vrabs and a backup quarterback (to tom brady), to the AFC West to try to steal a couple or three from you and improving his buddy's team' for a year or two (then Pioli's on his own). On top of that, he probably already bought Pioli another year or two for "taking down the pats" in the front office.

And on top of that he got the 2nd pick of the 2nd round for it! What is there, all things considered, one pick better in the draft?

The guys friggin brilliant!

23. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...At least teams like KC and Denver are trying to improve. They admitted to the mistake hires and extensions they've made and cut their losses by releasing the mistakes. Do you really think Tucker, Wilhelm, Castillo, etc deserved their contracts? There are several overpaid players on the Bolt roster who were rewarded on knee jerk reactions from AJ. Sometimes you have to admit to your mistakes and cut your losses. If you don't have the cap room to replace them...you might have to make more space available.

A lot of good free agents are getting gobbled up by teams that were already good. Look at the Giants...adding Canty, Bernard and the Atanta LB to an already very good defense. They didn't just stand pat while Dallas, Washington and Philly might improve. Now if the Giants feel they need to trade some of their excessive defensive talent..they can.

You don't have to agree with someone's take on the Cassell/Vrabel trade or the aquisitions that Denver made. We all have our ideas and points of view but that's all they are....opinions. No more viable than yours and no less. It's another thing entirely to call us dick suckers just because you disagree.

Let's see how well this sit on my hands and do nothing strategy works for AJ. This same dumbass approach blew up in the Packers face recently when they lost out on Canty and then lost their own free agent Colin Cole to Seattle. Either of these guys were important in their new 3-4 scheme. Now they have neither.

How soon a lot of people forget that the Patriots were merely another good football team, one that the Bolts were clearly better than when they met following their 14-2 season. They added Moss and Welker and became a juggernaut. This year they grabbed Fred Taylor, a Jets TE and traded Cassell instead of eating his 14+ million cap hit. I still think it was a great deal for KC but it was a smart football move by the Pats to free up the cap space.

We'll all have to wait and see just how good Pioli is or any of the new GMs and HCs are for that matter. However I don't feel good about what AJ is doing and in some cases ISN'T doing.

24. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Awe damn... I wanted the first doom and gloom thread... ;)

We have not even had the draft, not the first minicamp, and we have to worry about losing the west. I dont think so...

25. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I think we need some angry Asian Steve Foleys. Did anyone see the original Japanese The Ring? Crap! Ringu scared the **** out of me!

Imagine 4 or 5 of those ghost chicks with the hair all F'd up in their faces flashing around the field. Even 2 of them! One at ILB and one at SS. ****! The other team wouldn't even show up. Even Bellichick would puss out because he didn't want his face all frozen with that horror and ****. I wouldn't even watch it on TV. I would have to listen to it on radio. And all you would hear is that "Rohhhhhhhhhhhh!" Think about it! We would have Super Bowl "Ringus" in no time.

Don't **** this one up AJ!

26. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Enormo is drunk in the morning! :icon_rofl::icon_tease:

27. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    The guy is brilliant. (he's also cheat) That's why there's no friggin way he down-grades his own team to make an 8-8 team drop a game or two in a different division and give another NFL team a purposeful advantage.

That's just retarded.

28. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    You misunderstood me.

The quote is from Pulp Fiction, the picture is of Harvey Keitel's character Winston Wolfe who spoke the line. You'd have to see the movie to get the context. Basically my point was that those two moves weren't that fantastic, and that I'm still waiting to see if Pioli is a genius, or if he was just the guy picking player Belichick wanted. And is Matt Cassel really a good QB, or did he just benefit from being on a very good team with very good receivers.

My apologies if it looked like I was calling anyone a dick sucker.

29. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

Could they handle a spin move, or would they become disoriented?

30. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Won't let me give you rep.
    I would if I could.

Or would I?