1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I said it before, I'll say it again -- Jags will beat Pats

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Jan 9, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Found this article on ESPN,

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs07/columns/story?columnist=green_jeremy&id=3187786

[​IMG]
    What do you get when you add the one-two punch of Fred Taylor (left) and Maurice Jones-Drew (right) and a coach in Jack Del Rio who is making all the right moves? A Jacksonville upset of New England.
    Nearly a month ago, I wrote a blog that said if they met in the playoffs, the Jacksonville Jaguars would beat the New England Patriots. Apparently, not everyone agreed. My inbox was flooded with hate mail and questions about my sanity. Some people wanted to know whether I had a recent concussion that went untreated. Eventually, the e-mails softened and users told me it was moot because the Jaguars would not even advance out of the first round to meet the Patriots.

Well, thanks to San Diego and Jacksonville winning their wild-card playoff games, my predicted matchup is here: Jags against the Patriots. So am I ready to take it back? Absolutely not. Despite the mild forecast (I was hoping for some snow and wind), I'm still picking the Jaguars.

First of all, it all starts with a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T. Aretha Franklin sang about it and the Jaguars are looking for some of it. The Jaguars went 11-5 in the toughest division in the NFL -- the AFC South -- and would have gone 12-4 had they played their starters in Week 17. The Patriots played in the dismal AFC East. After going 16-0, I will call them the best regular-season team of all time, but six of those wins came against the Bills, Dolphins and Jets, who were a combined 12-36. Still, despite that, the Patriots have eight Pro Bowlers while the Jaguars had zero. OK, Fred Taylor got in this week due to an injury to Willie Parker, but that's not exactly a rousing show of respect. I know Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio will be reminding his players all week that they had no Pro Bowl players voted in by their peers, opposing coaches or fans. He will be telling his team the Patriots' coaches, players and fans don't respect them since those are the people who make up the voting process. The Jaguars will be motivated.

Secondly, I don't really care what the Patriots' defense is ranked -- it is overrated. Yes, they were fourth overall, 10th against the run and fourth in scoring defense. Those are great stats, but they are misleading. The Patriots' run defense was not very good against Dallas, which averaged 6.2 yards per carry. Or Indianapolis, as Joseph Addai ran for 112 yards. Or Baltimore (Willis McGahee had 138 yards) or the New York Giants, who averaged over four yards a carry. The common denominator is those last three games were close. The Patriots' run defense ranking looks good, but it's a mirage. It's that high because the Patriots blow people out and force them to throw. You know what I love about the Jags? They don't get blown out. Teams that don't commit penalties don't get blown out. Teams that take care of the ball don't get blown out. Teams that can run the ball don't get blown out.

Speaking of that run game, the Jaguars have big-time running backs in Taylor and Maurice Jones-Drew. They also have a ticked-off offensive line that gets overlooked despite its success. Taylor and Jones-Drew don't make miracles happen every week on their own. Vince Manuwai, one of the most physical guards in the NFL, should have been a Pro Bowler. He is an excellent athlete who can get to the second level, and his ability to reach veteran ILBs Tedy Bruschi and Junior Seau will open up the Jacksonville run game. The Patriots have an excellent defensive line and it gets much more hype than the Jaguars' offensive line. But the Jaguars won't back down from anyone. They look at this Patriots defensive line and believe it's just another opportunity to prove they are tougher and more physical.

And in a twist, what the Jaguars do best on offense is also their best defense against the amazing Patriots offense. There really is not a defensive scheme yet devised to stop the Patriots' offense. It is the most explosive attack we have seen in a long time, but know this: New England won't be able to run on Jacksonville. Pittsburgh ran it 26 times for a 1.7 average Saturday night, so the Patriots will throw the ball. The Jaguars' weak link is the back end of the defense. How do you protect your pass defense if you are the Jags? You run the ball. Then you run the ball again. Then you run the ball some more. The best way to beat the Patriots' offense is to leave it standing on the sideline. Tom Brady, Randy Moss, Wes Welker and Co. can't beat you if they are not on the field.

Now that sounds simple and there's much more Jacksonville will need to do to pull of this historic upset. And undoubtedly, Del Rio will have a great game plan because he is one of the best coaches in the NFL. There is only so much he can do though. To beat the best, you have to play your best. For Jacksonville, that means running the ball, establishing a good short-to-intermediate, high-percentage passing game, winning the turnover battle and having the advantage in the special teams. The Patriots have dominated teams with their talent and because they're intimidating. But Del Rio isn't easily intimidated and neither are the Jags.

So, yes, I guess I will continue to be unfazed by the Patriots' 16-0 record. And no, I am not a fan of the Jaguars or hater of the Patriots. A fan never thinks his team can lose, but no team is invincible. In the playoffs, it's one-and-done and anything can happen. Even Jacksonville beating New England.

Jeremy Green, director of pro scouting for Scouts Inc., has been an NFL scout for more than 10 years.

2. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Jaguars Blame Officials For Upcoming Loss Against Patriots

http://www.thebrushback.com/

FOXBORO--The Jacksonville Jaguars, bitterly disappointed about their upcoming loss against the Patriots, today blamed the officials for the loss, saying they will “hand the game to the Patriots” and “clearly want them to win.”

One player, defensive end Paul Spicer, even called it “the worst officiated game” he will ever see.

“Saturday’s game is going to be a joke,” Spicer said. “Those refs are going to hand the game to the Patriots. My God, what will they be thinking with that phantom holding call in the third quarter? There will be barely any contact on that play.”

Almost to a man, Jaguars players insisted that the league is biased in favor of the Patriots.

“Oh the league definitely wants the Patriots to win,” said defensive end Bobby McCray. “You can tell. Every call goes their way. There are going to be something like five pass interference calls made against us Saturday that are going to be total bullchit. It’s going to be the worst officiating ever! I don’t care if I get fined for saying this, either. I don’t even think I can get fined for it, since the game hasn’t actually happened yet.”

Coach Jack Del Rio says the loss should do nothing to take away what the team accomplished this year, especially since they will actually outplay the Patriots.

“We’re actually going to outplay them. That's the shame of it all,” said Del Rio. “I have to go into that locker room after the game and look those players in the eye and tell them it’s okay, they should be proud of themselves anyway. And you know what? They should. We stood toe to toe with the New England Patriots, we showed what we can do when we play together, and now we have a chance to carry this momentum into…mini-camp, I guess.”

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    The Patriots are not going to react well to smash mouth football. They haven't seen that much of it on their schedule and none of it in their division. Even if they beat the Jags, and there's a fair chance they won't, they are going to be bruised, sprained and bloodied. I suspect the same will hold true for Colt's, but I rate the chances of the Chargers to beat them as slightly better. Nice post, BTW.

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    The Jags are garbage against the pass, and I don't see Tom Brady missing guys running free through the secondary. I hope the Jags can take it deep into the fourth quarter, but I just don't see them winning. Especially with all the trash they are talkking in the media.

The divisional round always sees at least one upset. I will be pulling like hell for the Jags on Saturday Night, but if they win I will take solice in knowing that we are even more destined to knock the Colts off their high horse.

5. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    :icon_rofl:

6. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    That's pretty funny Buck. :lol:

The matchups in the AFC this weekend are insane and it's going to be a blast to watch. :tup: EC has me wondering about my potential bet on saturday night. :icon_huh:

Go Chargers!! :abq2::bolt::abq1:

7. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    The Steelers were running free, but Big Ben couldn't capitalize. Tom Brady won't have that problem...

8. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Damn, we'll know Sat night if we have a shot at hosting the CHAMPIONSHIP game... O.... MY....:abq2:

9. Electric Chair

Ratings:
    +579
    Gonna be a great weekend regardless of the outcome Saturday Night. :yes:

10. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    the parties at your house right.... :icon_party:

11. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192

I agree. Unless there are fifty mile an hour winds, the Patriots will pass all over that secondary. The Jags don't blitz, and the Patriots will hand their front four easily. The lack of pressure will give Brady time to hit Welker, who the Jags can't match up with. On defense I see Bellichick doing enough to force a few punts, putting the game out of reach for the Jags pound it offense. I wasn't impressed with Garrard, and I don't think he will perform well under pressure. The Patriots will try to force them into obvious passing downs, and then blitz accordingly. Unless the Jags have a running explosion, and I'm talking 250 plus yards, I don't see them scoring enough to stay in it.

12. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Damn funny,

but, might be close to the truth

:icon_sad:

13. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    *smelly tampon alert*

14. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I hope this isn't a precursor to substituting Bolts for Jags and Colts for Pats.... damn networks...:unsure:

15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    the jags can beat the pats if they can keep up a strong running game all game and keep scoring points. And possibly have thier d-backfield play well.

The secret to beating the pats is your pass coverage and d-backfield. Brady and the offense gets rid of the ball within 2.5 to 3 seconds. Its a hurry up pass offense. Good tight pass coverage is the name of the game. Pass coverage is more important than a pass rush because the pats get rid of the ball so fast.

As far as scoring against the pats. The pats safteys and inside linebackers are slow. You can throw in the middle against them. And you can run on them once their linebackers get away from the line of scrimmage.

16. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    I can't wait to see the Pats old *** line backers against Drew and Taylor...there will probably be a few Donnie Edwards impersonations between them.

17. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Hopefully things will really be awesome by 1pm Sunday afternoon! :tup: Or I'll be like this....:icon_sad:

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

:yes: That's how the Jags will beat them!!!

19. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    The charmed life that the Pats have enjoyed this season may continue. Here is the latest weather forecast. Based on the forecast Brady and company will have ideal weather for the Pat's .

The Jags on the other hand have some issues. The Associated Press reports that rookie safety Reggie Nelson (thigh) and veteran defensive lineman John Henderson (hamstring) are both still hurting and missed parts of Tuesday's practice. Top linebacker Mike Peterson has been ruled out of Saturday's game against the Patriots with a broken hand.

20. titanfan24

titanfan24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +77

This is SO not going to happen.

The team that had the best chance to beat New England was the Giants because it was the perfect sneak attack game.

New England wasn't sure if the G-Men were going to play their guys and all the talk was about 16-0.

Now you're saying that Belichick, with two weeks to tear apart a bad game tape by Patriot standards, won't have his guys ready for Jacksonville, who is about as beat up as Tennessee was last week???

Jacksonville has an Achilles Heel, and its Brian Williams and Sammy Knight against the pass. Watch Ben Watson and possibly Donte' Stallworth have a field day against this secondary.

Jacksonville is the physical sucker bet like Ohio State was the other day. They may come out and play well early, but I think reality will set in about halfway through the second quarter.

Pats win this one by 17.....going away.

The better upset pick is the G-Men over Dallas. Manning torched the Cowboys in Texas Stadium for 4 TD's before he got knocked out in the season opener, and Dallas looks like a worn football team with injuries and distractions all over the place. Its going to be 60 degrees and sunny at Texas Stadium and hate him or love him, but Manning is a very good QB in ideal weather conditions. He just can't navigate the natural wind tunnel at the Meadowlands.

• Like Like x 1