1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I take back every psychotic statement on Young.

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Aggieman, Sep 13, 2008.

1. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    This is what happens when you become a college superstar in Texas:
    You get drafted by a playoff team but it has its struggles, most of which get blamed on the quarterback, who apparently was too sheltered in college football.

From http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3584636:icon_eek:

2. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    The guy may have mental illness that has nothing to do with his environment. I hope he finds the help he needs.

3. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    You think he'd be like this if the fans still adored him like they did in Texas. The guy can't hanlde the spotlight - that is why is depressed.

4. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I hope he gets well, because he is a very talented quarterback and has the potential to be elite. All thoughs commercial and the madden cover got to his head. So now they're booing him and he can't take it. Always been a suporter for vince young. Hope he gets back to his regular state of mind.

5. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    The guy went from being a god at Texas and probably getting any girl he wanted and lived at great life there, then when he hits the NFL he has to work a hell of lot harder, there isn't all the fun and partying like there is in college and he hasn't been very good in the pros plus the fans have booed him.

Not everyone can handle the NFL, sometimes just having talent is enough you also have to very mentally tough to handle the rigors of the NFL.

I wish him the best but if playing in the NFL is making him suicidal maybe he should really think about quitting.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I like Young. I hope he can pull himself together and continue his career in the NFL. I think he has a lot of potential and it would be ashame to see it all go to waste.

College and the real world are completely two different things regardless of what your career is. I college, you're paying people to teach you. In the real world, you're looking for people to pay you so you can live.

I really think this is ashame because there are people who have it much worse than him. So he got booed but the fans will forget that game if he returns and plays the way he has in better games.
    I can see how the stress of pro sports can get to you if you're not meeting your expectations. Young has a great life but obviously, some people can't handle the stress as good as others.

Though I'd like to see him back on the field, he has to do what's best for him. I wish him well!

7. honeybolt

honeybolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Well this is exactly why we need a rookie salary cap.

He has no reason to play anymore. He got payed already!

[​IMG]

8. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    when it comes to mental illness, it doesn't always matter what is going on around you... stress can bring about things that have always lingered and I can only imagine the microscope he must live under after his success in college and now his high profile in the pro's.

whatever is going on with him, i sincerly hope he gets the help and professional attention he needs before something terrible happens. and while it's a pipedream, i wish the media would step back a bit and let that happen away from the public eye. Imagine being depressed or suicidal and on top of it having to deal with the court of public opinion who knows just enough information to speculate wildly :p

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Its assumed most players can handle being booed because that's what fans do when they aren't happy with their players and team. If Young can't handle it then he's in the wrong field

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Vince Young reminds me of the situation a former Padre pitcher found himself in, after Ed Whitson left from here to go to Yankee Stadium for major bucks. He collapsed emotionally from the pressure brought on by fans and the NY press and couldn't perform in the fishbowl.

11. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    So the Padres are a college team and the yankees are like the titans. O ok i got it. Makes total sense:tup:.

:lol: j/k

12. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I hate to put it in these terms... but Vince isn't the most intelligent guy. I get the feeling from him that he's 90% instinct and athleticism, and only about 10% brains. I think a player needs to have a fairly strong mind to be able to shut out people booing him. Think back to your own days playing sports (assuming you did.) I don't know if you've ever been booe'd before, but it's a wierd, very unique, very crappy feeling. I remember when I was playing my first game on varsity, trying really hard to impress the coach so I could get some time on offense, I was returning a punt and I butt-puckered and let it go right through my hands. It bounced off my foot and went right to the gunner. I got booe'd by a few of the less patient locals and I remember that it hurt; but I told myself "it happens, they'll forget about after the next punt return." And my coaches and teammates told me to forget about it, no big deal, but it still gnawed at me for a long time. Hell, I still blush when I think about it twenty years later. :D Anyway, the feeling's gotta be a hundred times more intense when it's 70,000 fans and you're on TV.

If a person has never grown mentally past that high-school level maturity, and especially if the person has really never had to go through any real adversity in the past, I could see them having a lot of trouble rationalizing the boo'ing as just part of the job.

I also think this kind of thing is what you get when you pamper athletes from a young age and treat them like demigods. They never have to become men. I've always said that the reason great athletes are somewhat risky in the draft is that they often rely so heavily on their athleticism that they never properly learn the fundamentals of the game they're playing. That's one reason great athletes often make lousy coaches. Anyway... they get to the NFL and the athleticism no longer is enough; they also have to work their asses off--especially quarterbacks--plus they have to understand both the offense and all these different defenses they're seeing, plus they're expected to be team leaders, plus they're expected to be spokesmen for the team... I think a person of limited intelligence who's used to things coming easy could find himself drowning quickly.

13. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Very good point Thunderstruck, and it goes with it when you look historically, a lot of the "elite" quarterbacks have traditionally been drafted fairly low. These are the guys that haven't been pampered all their lives, and worked to get where they are.

It also makes me feel even better about Rivers, if that's possible. People are always saying he's immature because he talks smack to the crowd (which I have no problem with as long as it doesn't get into his head, and it doesn't seem to), but really watch how he handles being booed and jeered at. He brushes it off, and hands some of the smack right back! :tup:

14. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Good post. There is a high failure rate for top drafted QB's. There are exceptions in the draft like 1983 (despite Todd Blackledge). Of Five drafted high in 1999, two made a mark, three flopped. Then there's the one whose name cannot be mentioned. Young's intelligence was mentioned in some scouting reports. The Raiduhs may have another one on their hands.