1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I think Gates being absent is a big deal in the offense

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JoeRockhead, Oct 9, 2011.

1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    After todays game with the Broncos, I definetly think Gates loss has effected the offense. The poor redzone production, Rivers slow start, I think all lot of this has to do with Gates being out. Gates opens up a lot of the rest of this offense for everything else to work. Now the defense can just concentrate on covering our wr's, and that hurts their abilty to get open. This offense really needs a good pass catching tight end in it. The running game, and passes to the running backs is now becoming the focus of this team. That is because our vertical game to the wr's has been weakened. This may be an obvious statement, but our woes in the red zone and River's problems may continue, until Gates can come back. Hopefuly he will come back. Of course the offensive line could use some work too.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    Of course it does....he's a Hall of Famer.

3. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Well, with Gates injury history, maybe we should have looked at backing him up. There were some decent TE's available as free agents. I actually thought about this before the season started. Gates has missed time before, but for some reason this season it is really making itself felt. If we had picked up a Zach Miller this might have helped the team deal with him being out.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    I agree, I like McMichaels but hes not cutting it. Sperry is so/so.

5. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Defensive coordinators game plan to take away at least one of our offensive weapons every week. With Gates out / ineffective we are down one weapon to start with. The offensive game plan has to evolve to find ways to pick up the slack while Gates is out. Our other tight ends are not bad and the improving running game will help...but I would sure like to see # 85 grab a few more "rebounds" just past the sticks.

6. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Another observation, besides Gates, is our offensive lines lack of a push in short yardage.
    We get pushed back by the defense on a consistent basis. This also is a reason for our poor redzone production.
    We end up having to pass on a 3rd down, due to not being able to run it in.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    Yep The right side.

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Phil needs to get it around than. Gates isn't here and looking at the injury he might not be back. Time to man up and stop waiting for Gates to return.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Layne

Layne Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +32
    Yep...no excuses....

10. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    It's rather difficult to replace a hall of famer in an offense a la LT and Gates.

11. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    Tomlinson who? Ryan Mathews is where its at

12. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Mathews is becoming a damn good back, but let's not be naive here. Tomlinson at this point of his career was much much much further along in his development than Mathews. I'm not taking away anything from the kid, but comparing him to LT? No way. Compared to LT's last two seasons here in SD and Mathews first two here, sure.

13. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Yeah .. LT .. 2 rushes, 13yds

14. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Lol I know, I'm just being ridiculous. But seriously, kid is coming into his own for sure.

15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I think it may have to do more with Rivers than Gates. He seems off.

• Like Like x 1
  16. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Are you sure about your assessment?? Mathews so far has a better AVG/carry than Tomlinson did at this point in both years.. Granted he had more yards last year but Mathews was hurt.. As far as the whole "fumble thing" .. Tomlinson had 8 fumbles in his first year losing 5 of them .. Mathews had 5 with 3 lost last year. So far this year, Mathews has had 1 fumble and none lost..

I would say "at this point of his career", he may have the edge compared to LT. In his 2nd yard, LT had 489 yds receiving. So far, RM has had 261 through 5 games.

The biggest difference between the 2 are the touchdowns .. I'm not sure that is all his fault but he is with 3 after 5 games.

I'm not trying to compare LT and Mathews, but to say "let's not be naive here" is a bit disingenuous to say the least.

17. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Probably 5 or 6 years too soon to really have this conversation. Mathews is having a good season so far, LT isn't here.

• Like Like x 1
  18. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    My point.

19. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    I'm just saying that it's a bit naive to say that Ryan Mathews is/will be better than LT. Unless we really struck gold in Mathews, I find it hard to believe that he will fill his shoes is all.

20. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Did I say today? No. What LT does as a Jet is of no concern to me, I care about the San Diego Chargers and that is all.

21. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Didnt Zach get injured today??

22. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    My opinion.....Norvs offense has just been figured out.

And as always he's slow to adjust.

23. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    Gates being out, IMHO, has blown an enormous hole in our passing game. VJ or no VJ, Gates is our passing game and I don't think we're going to pose the same powerful offensive threat that we used to until he gets back. Philip Rivers almost seems lost without him; maybe that's why he's thrown so many picks this season? The running game is getting better, but I don't see us scoring big without a viable passing offense.

One man does not a whole team make, however, and with the Chargers there should be enough talent left to take up where Gates left off. But then, when you look at Indianapolis without Peyton Manning and see an 0-5 team that's going nowhere fast, it makes you wonder if that isn't indeed what happens when a key player is lost. :(

24. reddenedbeard

Ratings:
    +112
    Dude .. "NAIVE" is the wrong word any way you slice it! By your logic, it's 'naive' to think he isn't .. I'm just saying!

25. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Wait? Who is expecting RM to be even close to a LT??

26. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    By the way, Mathews is 6th in the league in rushing yards.

27. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I think the sky is blue and 2+2=4.

• Like Like x 2
  28. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    Fine fine fine. :p

29. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    It's been a luxury to have him for these years. I'll say it here. ****** to accept but he's done. This guy played his *** off for us and was maybe the best at his position. His injury is no joke. I don't see him coming back from this one. With that said, it's time for the team to be creative in other ways.

30. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We know what we had in Gates. I'd say that we know what we have in McMichael. Sperry, IMO, hasn't gotten enough reps to be certain what we have in him. I'd like to see the bye week used to get Gates some work to stretch/tear that scar tissue in his foot & to work Sperry into the mix much more.

According to what I've read, rest isn't necessarily what will get Gates back in the lineup. Doing exercises to tear that scar tissue combined with anti-inflammatories is.