1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I think it's safe to say Crosby is gone...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Nov 7, 2010.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    No question, he ruined our season

2. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    How is that safe to say? He hasn't been fired yet and we have been disastrous. I would not be surprised if he is not fired.

3. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    If Norv had any balls he would have fired Crosby from the sideline today.... right after yet another special teams FU. That's right sent him walking to the locker room right then and there... embarrass the **** out of him... the way his special teams coaching has embarrassed the **** out of us every stinking Sunday. ...and take that crappy twelfth string long snapper with him.

Oh David Binn... how I miss thee.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    If he's not fired during the bye he's not going anywhere this season.

Our special teams are SHAMEFUL. We basically spotted Houston 7 points just like we spotted Tennessee 2 last week, except NOW Scifi got hurt too. What's it gonna take to fire Crosby? Scifres getting killed?

I told Ant we should just stop punting alltogether and go for it on 4th every time. I trust the O and Rivers way more that the ST.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I do not know how to explain that with him we had a marvelous ST unit for four years and this year we suck. It's not all KO so IDK WTF is going on here

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Injuries? Too many scrubs on ST?

7. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    That is Norvs boy. He won't fire him.

8. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Steve Crosby is too close to his retirement pension and with this good old boys network, he is untouchable. Spanos is too far removed from the pulse and AJ is too busy plotting his next kill.

9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    How hard is it to tell your players hit someone before you go downfield? Everyone of these blocks a guy came in untouched because players elected not to chip on them. All you have to do is knock them off their stride a bit and there is no way they can get to the punter. Sorry, that is really bad coaching.

10. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    Crosby's bad coaching... so true. He may be talking but the guys who wear the helmets aren't listening to him... time to fire his butt.

11. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    I'm starting to feel real bad for Scifi. He is getting beat to hell every time he stands back there. Or if he has to make a tackle. Poor guy. Get tough, this is football pansy kicker!.

12. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I dunno. He should be gone already and were we to make this change now not sure how good/bad an impact it might have on morale. surely everybody is upbeat and back with a bit more confidence. Firing him might distract some guys. Like I said he should have been gone by now, yes we seem to have at least 3 new guys on STs each week but how hard is it to hit the guy running at you?.

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Norv just said this apparently - there are about 5 guys he'd get rid of b4 Steve Crosby. He'd start with players who have made mental errors on spec. teams.

14. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    sdutChargers
    Norv Turner said there are about 5 guys he'd get rid of b4 Steve Crosby. He'd start with players who have made mental errors on spec. teams.

15. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Does Norv have control of hiring and firing coaching staff and players? Shyte, Norv better have his hancock on his 5 guy list.

16. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    sweet. Thro the players under the bus. That'll boost their confidence!

17. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Listen, if this was one dude who kept screwing up his coverage zone on punts then so be it, can the dude and move on, but its been stated from Norv that it has almost been rotating through all of the newer dudes on ST so it is hard to put a thumb on it. Well hmmmmm... what is the common denominator? The coach! I understand the dude has been around forever and has coached pro bowl ST's before but at some point coaches get too old and lose touch with their players and it sure seems to have happened here. I think its possible that he has coached so long that he is so used to coaching technique with veteran players that he is forgetting about hammering home the basics to the new guys. Time to cut ties, pension him off to Shady Acres, and hire someone within 2 generations of his players.

18. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    No. Just run a fake the next time you punt from inside your own 20.

here's where it started:

Here's the progression:

And here's the finale:

Hester or Tolbert (or even Kris Wilson) would be easy targets for a quick screen.

I guarantee you Denver and the Colts will bring the house if the Chargers have to punt inside their own 20. What's the worst that can happen? Turn the ball over on downs?

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm blaming the coach even more after looking at those replays. Guys out of position, not reacting, wifing on blocks! fundamentals!!!

Fire him. Get Hank Bauer in here!!

20. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +90
    Hard to blame Crosby when he has done a good job in seasons past and actually is well respected in the league as a ST coach. I think the majority of the blame is on the players used on ST! They just are not executing properly!

If Crosby is fired...he walks into another job the next day...Guaranteed!

21. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    That is like a kicker firing his pedicurist for a missed FG.

22. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Can he block on Punt Coverage? :lol:

23. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Last I looked Crosby wasn't blocking. With all the injuries the team has had and to have to rely on backups out of position and not knowing their assignments is a bit much. You could blame the coaching but the pro level is faster and bigger and newbies tend to underestimate the speed of the game. Few players can come off college level and perform right away. You work yourself to starter. Pick a job, any job and few walk right in and become the leader of the pack. Instant gratification in sport is just nuts. In baseball you are thought of as a good hitter if you manage to get a hit out of four times at bat. Oh and btw I'd like to see any of the talking heads on sunday morning try and survive one special teams play.

24. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    You can't say his job should be safe because he's not the one doing it.

The guy is in charge of the unit so he should be responsible for their performance.

25. gettough

gettough BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    The offense should just go for it on fourth down if it's out of field goal range on the first possession of the game. I really don't care if the ball is inside our own 30. If the offense doesn't get the first down, at least the defense has a chance to hold the opponent to a field goal attempt.

26. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362

This is the bottom line...well said!

27. Old School SD Fan

Old School SD Fan Unhappy Camper

Ratings:
    +13

Too many scrubs on ST? Last I looked that's who generally play ST. Are our scrubs THAT bad compared to everyone elses????

28. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Some guys playing ST are either completely incompetent at the position (McMichael) or are just not any good at it (Lang, Hernon, etc). We had done some great things with scrubs in the past but this year we hit nothing but deuces.

29. Old School SD Fan

Ratings:
    +13
    Norv is standing by Crosby, and Smith is standing by Norv. There will be no changes until Smith gets sent to his Hawaiian retirement.

30. Old School SD Fan

Ratings:
    +13

The funny thing is only quality college starters generally make it to the NFL outside of kickers and long snappers. None of these guys have played ST since their frosh years in high school, nearly all of them have to be converted and taught to play ST. If it was THAT hard, you'd see breakdowns everywhere. It's not. If you're athletic enough to start at a major uni, you're athletic enough to play ST. Clearly guys aren't listening or following instruction, and honestly, there are a ton of guys on the street capable of playing ST. If Hester is too stupid or has an attitude problem, God knows we can live without him on our offense, send him packing. Applewhite we're stuck with because we're thin at LB, but he'd best not be planning a future here. It's just NOT that hard a task.