1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

I think we're drafting RB's in the 1st and 2nd round...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Jan 21, 2010.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Just a hunch. Like everyone else, I'm sure LT will be released in the coming months....and I have a feeling Sproles will be out also. We've doubled up on positions before, and I could see us doing this at RB to A. try to make sure we get someone who will make an impact and B. establish a rotation like most teams are going to in the league these days. It's realistic with a lot of depth at the position also.

I know some are thinking that if we trade Cro (as is being now widely speculated) that we will draft a CB early (which is also AJ's M.O.)...I don't think so this time. We would obviously move Cason over to be the starter opposite Jammer and since we are overloaded at Safety, could either move Oliver or even Spillman over to CB as both have adequate speed that would translate...and CB is the natural position for Oliver anyway.

I'm pretty confident that we will be looking at power backs who can run North/South and break arm tackles...I would be pretty happy if it went down like this:

1.28- Dwyer (Georgia Tech)
    2.28- Blount (Oregon)....major character concern...but big upside

If LT and Sproles are both gone...and we drafted two backs...It's still feasible that we keep Bennett as both vet insurance and a speed change up. Buster Davis would become the PR/KR.

2. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    We need to draft Jonathan Dwyer. Maybe I'm just being biased because I'm a GT fan but.. I really think he can be LT's replacement.

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    He might shoot up the boards if he has a great combine. I like what I've seen of him though.

4. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37

There's no way we draft 2 RB's in rds 1 & 2. We desparately need D-line help. RT is a possibility as well. I think we end up keeping Sproles.

5. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Is that you B4L?

6. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    No to the 1st and 2nd

The only way i see us taking 2 RBs is if sproles leaves too, and if that was the case, i still dont see 1st and 2nd, and def not 2 power backs.

I wish Noel Devine would of entered the draft, since he would of been a perfect replacement for sproles and perfect compliment to go with Dwyer

7. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I agree. D-lineman should be priority #1. But if no real good ones are left then it opens the door to another position.

I'm having to guess but the 2nd rounder might be where we get the rb. The only rb's that might be first rounders would be spiller or the usc kid that got in trouble and had to go into the draft.

This draft will really depend on who is there when our turn comes up.

8. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Any chance CJ Spiller drops to us?

I'd rather address DE position in the FA market...

9. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Anyways here's my mock:

"With the 28th overall pick in the 2010 NFL draft, AJ Smith selects... Brandon LaFell - WR, Louisiana State..."

2nd: LSU player
    3rd: LSU player
    4th: LSU player
    5th: traded away for future draft picks
    6th: Some player that's injured
    7th: LSU player

FA acquisitions:

AJ sets a NFL record picking up 7 UDFA's and starting them on opening day.

That's what I think AJ will do.

10. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    With the way Chris Johnson, Jamaal Charles and Jerome Harrison played last year, i really doubt so many will pass on a stud like spiller

Lucky for us, this draft is deep at RB at the top
    Spiller
    Jonathan Dwyer
    Jhavid Best
    Ryan Matthews
    Joe McKnight

All are 1st round caliber RBs but since not that many teams are look for a RB first, we'll likely get our pick of 4 of the 5 (i think spiller will be gone)

Im praying we get dwyer, the guy is such a stud, and the only knock on him is his college offense. But anyone whose watched him knows he has the vision, speed and POWER to be a great RB in the NFL

11. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +57
    It is an intriguing prospect to draft two running backs early...but we still dont know what is going to happen with LT and Sproles...It is feasible that both could be back or at least one of them.

With D-Line a BIG need, it would also not benefit us to neglect this position early where there should be some top talent available to us!

I still believe that Terrance Cody, would be a serious canditate to come to us!

I can see AJ eyeing up a D-lineman and if none are available with first round quality, he will take the best running back on his board

12. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721

Spiller, Best, and Mathews all fit our scheme better than than Dwyer. He's heavy footed, slow, has no lateral quickness, and is no help in the passing game....AT ALL. I see your point that maybe he can be a strait ahead/fall forward runner, but I just don't think he fits what Norv likes to do.

I don't think Cromarie is going anywhere, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if someone gave us a 1st round pick for Merriman, via trade or RFA compensation. If we picked up Spiller and Terrance Cody with our 1st two picks I'd be ecstatic.[​IMG]

13. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I'm sold on Best and I think he's not only a better fit for us, but he's a better all-around back than Dwyer hands down. He should be #2 on that list.

I'm not concerned about Best's size; 5-10 195lbs, vs. Dwyer, 6-1 235lbs... because Best's playmaking ability makes up for it.

14. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Yeah, Dywer is Wells II. No thank you. Best would be better but I watched CAL football and he definitely won't have much luck with the bigger lines of the NFL. Mathews is fast as hell and if we can improve the run blocking, he could be a great pick-up. Thinking about it, he's one of the most vicious screen receivers in the game as well so letting Sproles go is viable. Blount is the power running RB we need but he'll need to prove himself a bit more. I need to see this dude in the passing game in particular and I'd like to see him less coy but not exactly "Blount Punch" either. Overall, a RB in the first is actually very reasonable at this point but I'd pull the trigger for Cody first.

15. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Im not worried about Best's skills, what i am worried about is that concussion he suffered. That was one of the most brutal hits ive seen, and i think thats one that could come back to haunt him. Something like Brian westbrook this past year, where he suffered multiple concussions in one year and it basically ends his career

16. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Wells is going to be a stud, and looked great when given a shot this year. We made a big mistake passing on him. Wells/LT/Sproles would be a championship caliber running game this year

If they would be willing to take it, i would gladly trade our 1st this year for Wells, but i seriously doubt the cards would do it

17. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    You HAVE to be kidding.

18. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I watched Beanie at OSU a good amount and I found him VERY lacking in the passing game. Sure enough, he's played very few passing downs due to being untrustworthy in both catching and pass-blocking. I wanted LeSean McCoy instead. I haven't seen enough of Dwyer but I heard Mayock talk about him in the same exact terms as Beanie so I jumped to that conclusion...off to youtube and scouts.com.

19. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    No matter who we pick up, I hope we end up calling AJ a genius for drafting him. :abq1:

20. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Trust me guys. AJ will draft some guy you all NEVER heard of and you'll say on draft day, "WHAT THE...." and the dude ends up being a stud. 1st round will be the best NT available imo. He'll nab a running back in the 3rd, 4th or later rounds. He'll be looking for that diamond in the rough like Turner. Those guys are out there. You just have to find them and do your homework.

21. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    You mean like Larry English, Antoine cason and Bust Davis?

22. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Kiper has us taking Dwyer.

23. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    Larry English was starting to turn a corner, Cason is a solid CB who got a bum rap. And reports on Buster in practice this year and what we saw of him in week 17th show that might be a great receiver after all. Jackson and Floyd all went through growing pains/dealing with injuries.

I'll admit none of them have been first years starters. But English has the potential to be a pro-bowler, Cason is going to be solid, and buster has a chance to be as good as floyd. so no one's a bust yet.

24. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Is LaFell the top receiver on LSU? If so, then I don't think we should go for him. I'm thinking more along the lines of someone who's highlights include 1 or 2 good plays from all of their college play, and a bunch of kickoff returns. Eventually one of those guys will get it right.

25. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    No not at all, just watch the videos. He benefits from a run friendly triple option scheme, he PLAYS FULLBACK in that scheme, and only ever runs strait up the middle on quick handoffs.

Its pretty easy to make one or two reads and hit the hole from the FB position. But there is no proof at all that this guy can line up at HB and read blocks, or accelerate through the hole when it opens up, or sidestep a penetrating linemen and hit another hole.....all things you have to be able to do at the next level.

I've been wrong before though.:icon_shrug: I just see a big guy with a slow lumbering gate, who can't catch the ball, who doesn't really play in a legitimate pro style offense. Not worth a 1st rounder.

26. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I dunno...I think he has more quickness than you're giving him credit for. Here is a pretty good compilation of him

In my original post, I was trying to be realistic about who would land at our spot...People seem to think Dwyer will be there....but IMO he may actually go earlier with a good combine....My favorite back in this draft is Spiller, but he is going to be LONG gone by the time we pick unless we are super agressive to move way up in the draft...and that would probably cost us next year's #1 along with #28.

27. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362

I have to admit, when I watch the video he looks like an average back to me. Id rather spend a 6 round on Blount than a second round on Dwyer. Less risk and potentially more reward.

28. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,721
    Highlight reels make everyone look good, when I watched G-Tech a few times this year he is not nearly as explosive as those highlight reels would make it seem.

You should stick with ProDraftParty's videos, they show the good along with the bad.

If Spiller falls past 20 I could see AJ pulling the trigger to get him. The quick moves in small spaces reminds me so much of younger LT, and a little of Chris Johnson.

29. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +354

This is the reason why I pay little to no attention to your draft posts. No Offense dude but if you think Dwyer has no lateral quickness and is heavy footed, then you need to watch more football.

Then you proceed to say that Dwyer wouldn't fit our scheme because a north/south runner is not what Norv likes to use. Funny, I recall Norv running the ball directly up the gut probably more than any other team did this year. If there are two backs that don't fit it's Spiller and Best. They are way to small, Best has concussion issues, and Spiller split carries with Davis.

When it comes to the draft your problem lies on the fact that you over analyze picks. You have some draft knowledge i'll give you that but you need to rely on gut and film as opposed to every single measurable a player has. I will take a guy who is slower and heavy footed with A+ knowledge of the game, over a guy who runs fast and has good lateral quickness.

30. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    I love Spiller and pray he will be available, but i just dont see that happening.

The thing i like about him is that even though hes a little small (5'11 200lbs), he doesnt have these super skinny legs that you see speed backs have. Body type wise, he reminds me alot of LT.

As a player though, one guy he really reminds me of is Felix Jones (cowboys RB). Just the way he runs, his speed and his moves remind me alot of felix, and if we can add a felix jones to this offense, we would be set

• Like Like x 1