1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

I think we're drafting RB's in the 1st and 2nd round...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Jan 21, 2010.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,626
    Choice? Why him? He's a late round pick who hasn't shown himself to be that effective. Considering how much crap he gets and how little Jones likes him, I'm surprised they don't trade Barber

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm the same way. To me both dwyer and mathews are 2nd rounders.

don't tell anyone, joe mcnight.:tup: Who we may be able to land in the 2nd round cause the media doesn't like him.

There are several good rb's we could get with our later 2nd round pick. There really are in my opinion only two real 1st rounder rb's in this draft. Spiller and keep it hushed (mcnight). Javaid best is an early to middle 2nd rounder.

3. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Well we don't have a mid-second round pick to spend so we need to get one in round 1. Both linemen classes are really big so we could get decent linemen later on.. round 1 should be either Mathews or Dwyer. Can't wait until the combine!!

4. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,683
    I doubt you'll see much support around here for McKnight.:lol: But the truth is the guy is solid at everything, he's a decent inside runner, very good outside runner who flashes the LT style jumpcut and magic footwork, and is solid all around in the passing game. Also if you watch he is a little more tenacious that people think.

Ranked as a mid 3rd rounder by ESPN and CBS.....his thin frame concerns me a little, he's got the Reggie Bush build.....I wouldn't put him in the Spiller or Mathews catagory though.

5. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    If Dwyer can get his 40 time a little faster he can win me over. I'm just to high on Jahvid Best and I think he'll show up big at the combine. :yes:

Either way, Dwyer, Best or Matthews, one of these guys is going to be wearing Bolts next season.

6. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Thats what I'm hoping. That we can get mcnight in the 2nd round. Everyone needs to keep putting him down so we can get him in the 2nd round..

As far as the first round goes. I'm almost leaning at getting a very good linebacker. The one that intrigues me the most is brandon graham. He's gonna be the next woodley which is a monster linebacker. But I don't know where we'd put him. Wish one of the outside linebackers could play inside sometimes as well.

If we trade cromartie which i think might happen and we can get another 2nd rounder for that that may mean we'll get a good cb early. One that can and will tackle.

I"m hoping mcnight has a calf sprain or something and can't run. Cause I think if he runs he's going to get found out how fast he is.

7. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I don't think AJ will draft Best if we still have Sproles. He is too much like Sproles and having two quick backs would be counter productive. Dwyer or Mathews.. one of them will be wearing a Bolts jersey next year! (I would prefer Mathews)

And as for McKnight, same thing. We don't need 2 quick backs, we need somebody to change the pace of the game and keep us in control. Mathews should be our guy

8. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,683
    Pretty much sums it up.:yes:

9. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    We arent going to draft a head case like blount

Every charger fan AND AJ has complained about this teams immaturity, and inability to keep cool in tough situations, and yet some think we are going to add this dumb ****??

Id put money that this guy wont even be on the chargers draft board come april

And anyone who would rather have him than dwyer is an idiot and has never watched the two of them play.

10. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Hes 190lbs, i dont care how shifty you are, at 190lbs, you arent moving a pile and you arent wearing down a defense, so youre of no use in a norv turner offense

11. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I agree that he's no full time back in this system.....now, if Sproles were to leave, he could be a candidate to fill that roll as primarily a 3rd down guy and PR.

12. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I don't think he is going to leave because LT is leaving so he will get more carries which is what he's always wanted. IF he leaves, McKnight would be good but only in the later rounds.. I wouldn't spend anything greater than a 4th round pick on him

13. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,683
    Yes I know, which is why I'm not advocating that we draft him. Just simply giving people the facts.

Its good when you don't just narrow your search to a couple guys, and McKnight is an outside the box option who I think could be a surprising "X factor" type player in someones offense......like Leon Washington.

14. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    SPILLER if sproles Leaves to

or BLOUNT EITHER WAY!!

15. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,683
    Some RB comparisons I see....(best possible senarios)

CJ Spiller - Chris Johnson
    Ryan Mathews - Frank Gore/Ronnie Brown
    Jonathan Dwyer - Michael Turner
    Jahvid Best - Reggie Bush
    Dexter McCluster - Darren Sproles
    Montario Hardesty - Thomas Jones
    Toby Gerhart - Mike Alstott
    Joe McKnight - Leon Washington
    Anthony Dixon - Kevan Barlow/TJ Duckett
    Ben Tate - Tim Hightower
    Charles Scott - Michael Bush
    LeGarrett Blount - Larry Johnson/Beanie Wells
    Joique Bell - Terrell Davis

16. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Joique Bell.... hmm I've heard of him. He rushed for over 2000 yards his senior year but that was in D-II football. I watched some of his highlights and he reminds me of MJD more than Terrell Davis. I wonder if he performs well at the combine, we draft our other needs first and take him around round 4 or 5. That wouldn't be a bad idea...

17. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,683
    Bell seems to have all the tools to be an NFL RB....and I mean EVERY TOOL. Quckness, speed, agility, vision, toughness, good hands....Problem is he was playing against D-II competition so looks can be very decieving.....I have a feeling he'll have a much tougher time hitting the edge at the NFL level.

Someone could hit a homerun with this guy, or strike out completely.

18. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    The combine will give us more information on him too... This years RB class has a lot of good prospects. I just hope that WE hit a homerun with whoever we get (IMO it should be Mathews). I really wonder what is going on in AJ's mind too because he has to make a decision of RB first or D-Line first or O-Line first... It will all start to unfold after the combine so until then, we will just be guessing at who is going to get picked (unless AJ comes out and says who he wants or if a trade happens).

I'm just curious, what are all the drills the RBs do at the combine?

19. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I know we all want a RB, but it wouldn't shock me at all if we went with an O-lineman in the first round. The Chargers #1 priority is to keep Philip Rivers healthy. Upgrading the O-line is always a good decision, no matter how weak we are in other areas. :yes:

20. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,683
    Well our pass blocking hasn't been that bad, the reason people want O-line is because we were 31st in rushing offense.

The top 5 OT's are....
    Anthony Davis - Will go top 5.
    Russell Okung - Will go top 10.
    Trent Williams - Proj. top 15
    Bryan Bulaga - Proj. top 20
    Bruce Campbell - Proj. 20-30

Only OG worth looking at...
    Mike Iupati - Proj. 20-30.

Given the demand of O-linemen these days any one of these six guys would be a steal at 28, and anyone else would be a real reach. Right now the only RB we have locked up for 2010 is Michael Bennett (Sproles = RFA*) so I fully expect us to go RB.

21. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I think AJ will draft a Cornerback. :lol:

:icon_tease:

22. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,683
    Again? Like he did after 2007 when Cromartie had 10INT's and looked like the next Champ Bailey?:icon_shrug: And with it looking doubtfull that Cro is going to be around much longer, and the fact that Cason hasn't really shown anything special.....don't be shocked.:unsure:

I'll be pissed if we go CB @28:icon_evil:

23. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,626
    Agreed; even if we lose Cromartie we have Cason who can step in. No need for a high level cornerback. Hell the only DB (and this is a stretch) that I'd wanna draft there is Taylor Mays (and he's very far down on my list of priorities)

Buluga/Campbell/Williams are my line picks

24. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,683
    There are soooo many teams that need O-line, we have no chance in hell at landing any of the top 5 OT's.

Lions (need 2)
    Redskins (need 2)
    Seahawks (LT)
    Raiders (LT)
    Bills (need 2)
    Steelers (RT)
    Cowboys (LT)
    Cardinals (LT)
    49ers (RT)
    Bears (RT)
    Packers (need 2)
    Colts (RT)

I'd love to land one of those OT's you listed, but not going to happen man. And anyone else is a real reach at 28.

25. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Not anything huge, but if you watch Dwyer run, and you watched Beanie Wells last year, they are identical, with Dwyer maybe running a little lower (wells has a pretty high running style), also, see the Hardesty/Thomas jones comparison. And Mathews actually reminds me A LOT of a slightly shorter Ryan Grant with the way he runs. i was really surprised to see mathews was only 5'11, i really thought that much like Grant he was 6'1+ and in that 225lb range. But they really do have a similar running style

But some of the others were dead on. charles scott=Bush, Mcnight/McKnight, Gerhart/Alstott, and Sproles/,mccluster

26. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,683
    I think Wells is a good step faster and has more lateral quickness than Dwyer. It just looks like Dwyer is running fast because he's playing from the FB position, and if you watched a G-Tech game you'd be far less impressed by him than if you watched a highlight reel.

The Ryan Grant to Ryan Mathews comparison is a good one.

27. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I believe that with AJ's previous success in drafting late round RBs (Sproles and Turner), he will probably get our next star RB in a round other than round 1. All the RBs that have first round talent will be gone by 28 and I think that there will be better players out there in round 1 than Dwyer or Mathews. In round 2 we could try to trade up to get one of them but if that doesn't work, AJ will probably get a CB and in round 3 an OT, and in round 4 probably a RB. I'm actually leaning towards getting Joique Bell (reminds me of MJD) or Lagarrette Blount (faster brandon jacobs). I kind of hope that we don't get Dwyer because he doesn't impress me that much. The other 3 RBs mentioned I wouldn't mind one bit.

28. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    We have also had our share of misses in the middle rounds with RB's as have many other teams.....Fact is that during every draft, there are probably about a dozen or more backs taken...and probably on average 2-3 of those players end up being stars....Every once in a while there is a year like 2008 where there are several nice players...but that's the exception...not the rule.

29. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    Umm do the names Jacob Hester, Marcus Thomas and Gartrell Johnson mean anything to you

30. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,683
    No kidding, when you get a chance at a special talent you need to take your shot rather than sit and wait for a diamond in the rough.

20 of the top 25 rushers in history were all taken in the 1st round....of the five that wern't, three were 2nd round picks, one was a 3rd rounder, and one was before the draft era. Point proven by history, the best backs are almost always taken in the 1st round.