1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I wasn't gonna do it but... If TO get 6.5mil then what would LT get???

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Mar 7, 2009.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Sorry about another LT thread but

WTF!!!!

6.5 million for one year!!!!

To a 36 year old head case???

• Like Like x 1
  2. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    LT would get significantly less. The general wisdom is that running back production noticeably decreases after age 30. Plus LT has been injured the last two years and no one knows how well he will do next year. He's not going to get more anywhere else than he would signing a reduced contract here.

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Don't apologize. F**k em' if they can't handle the truth!!! :yes: :tup:

4. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    He's get less because RBs get less than WRs.

Lets put it this way the franchise tag for a RB is barely more than what TO got, no way LT gets anywhere near that.

IMO $4 mil is the most he could get on a 1 year deal, maybe $7 mil in a 2 year deal.

5. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    My guess is that (like above)... LT was probably offered about 8 mill for two years... Descent offer IMO. I hear people questiong AJ and his aligence to LT... LT needs to remember that the organization has made him a rich man just the same...

6. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    I hate generalizations like this.

Take a look at top all purpose RB's at age 30 for players that retired after 1987

Walter Payton - 1684 yards, 11 TD's
    Barry Sanders - 1491 yards, 4 TDs
    Warrick Dunn - 1416 yards, 3 TDs
    Emmit Smith - 1397 yards, 11 TDs
    Curtis Martin - 1308 yards, 2 TD's (followed up by 1697 yards at 31)
    Thurman Thomas - 1033 yards, 8 TDs
    Eddie George - 1031 yards, 5 TDs
    Marshall Faulk - 818 yards, 10 TDs
    Marcus Allen - 682 yards 12 TDs
    Edgerrin James - 514 yards, 3TDs

How about WRs using the same distinction for top 15 WR's at age 36 for those that retired after 1987

Jerry Rice - 1157 yards, 9 TDs
    Jimmy Smith - 1023 yards, 6 TDs
    Tim Brown - 930 yards, 2 TDs
    Chris Carter - 871 yards, 6 TDs
    Ike Bruce - 835 yards, 7 TDs
    Marvin Harrison - 636 yards, 5 TDs
    Irving Fryar - 556 yards, 2 TDs
    Rod Smith - 512 yards, 3 TDs
    Keenan McCardell - 437 yards, 0 TDs
    Art Monk - 398 yards, 2 TDs
    Andre Reed - 103 yards, 1 TDs

Like it or not, he probably gets a 2 year, $12MM type deal with atleast $6MM guaranteed if he hits the open market.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Good post, interesting numbers.

8. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

Great post. I've often used the Payton comparison with LT as they have had very similar careers through 8 years....and Payton appeared to be "done" at age 28 when he had an injury plaged year with 596 yards....and a year earlier averaged just 3.6 YPC behind a rebuilding line.....came back at age 29 and proceeded to tear the league a new one from ages 29-32....an all pro in each of those years.....Payton also absorbed more contact that LT over his career.

The key with some great backs like LT, Payton, Emmitt is that while they played through some injuries...they never had the devastating knee reconstructions, etc. that shortened other backs' careers. All of them were highly conditioned and the wey they take care of themselves, they have just as much of a chance of coming back and having a monster year at age 30 as they do having an injury filled year. I would take that chance with LT....and even if he does have some injuries...you know he's going to give you decent starting production anyway....at least compared to most of the rest of the league.

• Like Like x 1
  9. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I'm not saying that I agree with that, I'm saying that's the general wisdom in the league.

10. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    Of course, it should be factored in that LT is not your "average" 30 year old back....He should be looked at like Payton, Emmitt, Curtis Martin, Tiki Barber, Barry Sanders....backs who continued to produce like stars at age 30.......and not backs like Shawn Alexander who was a product of his line more than anything else.

11. fan4ever

fan4ever BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +12
    Couldn't have said it better other than LT will prove to be better than the rest. (Oh and Minn. Peaderson just a flash in the pan)