1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Idiot Canepa says Chargers need Gruden

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,371
    Wouldn't want you to feel left out. ;)

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,857
    He's looked like a winner in 86.8 percent of games he's coached thus far.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,857
    I didn't want Kelly anyway. I'd rather not take the chance with a gimmick offense.

I just didn't get the "he doesn't look like a winner" quip. Unless it was sarcasm that went over my head?

5. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +441
    Like most here I don't want Gruden either. He's had the cushy TV job this last while, he's too long away from it all. But Nick is right that we 'need a commander. (We) need someone up there on the bridge staring down at his crew not necessarily a captain beloved by his players, but respected'.

They say Norv was respected, he probably was. But he was in no way a 'commander'. If anything he was staring up at his crew, as in cowering up almost.

Of all the names being bandied about..... and to be honest there is not a great choice on the Chargers list thus far, I'd probably go for Whisenhunt. But I don't want it to be him. I want us to find another Bobby Ross type.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Those same idiots complain that we "traded Turner", nevermind the fact that we didn't trade him, he clearly stated that he wasn't going to re-sign unless he could be the starter, and LT had just won his 2nd consecutive rushing title. Those same fans would have **** their pants if we would have traded LT or cut him, just so Turner could have the starting job.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    In all honesty, I don't think Gruden wants to come back anyways, afterall, there is a reason he hasn't interviewed for a single job. All the "rumors" arej ust his agent trying to get ESPN to give him more money.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Except the fact that there is just a wee bit of difference from the college game to the NFL but why let that cloud the issue. I can throw names out there just as the rest of you can, but when the sun goes down and the day is done, it's Deans decision and he holds the trump card. Wolfman can offer up the best candidate available and Dean can disagree and go in his own direction, that's what scares me. IMHO, this whole thing rides on the new GM. If this person doesn't really wield the power to implement his plan, it's all for naught.

9. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Unless Turner had had a better season than LT did that same year and/or we'd won a Superbowl.

10. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +76
    He interviewed for the Tennessee Vols HC job. The only reason he wasn't hired was the university balked at the pay requirements for his coaching staff.

11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,371
    Just his coaching staff? ;)

12. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +76
    They had no problem paying him what he wanted. But the althletic department was just too cash strapped from buying Dooley and his staff out to pay Gruden what he wanted for his staff.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,371
    You'd think anyone would be happy to just have the opportunity to work with a genius like Gruden...... who needs money, when you're next to greatness? ;)

14. Okie

Okie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +76
    I was surprised to see Gruden slummin' in the college ranks. He was probably just screwing with them, getting their hopes up;)

15. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    The Bolt's need a HC that can take his'n and beat your'n, then turn around and take your'n and beat his'n. Chucky's been there and done that.

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    Yes, but they would have freaked out then and the team would have had thousands of season ticket holders canceling. I am willing to bet the team woudl have loved to do it, they just knew they couldn't risk Turner turning into Lamont Jordan and cutting LT coming off back to back rushing titles to see it happen

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +627
    The Vols are not an NFL team. I don't care if he interviews for 100 college jobs, he hasn't even been interviewed for a NFL job, which to me, i question how much he wants to come back to the NFL

http://espn.go.com/college-football...tennessee-volunteers-search-coach-sources-say

There were discussions among the two sides late last week, but Gruden informed Tennessee officials after talking with his family that it was a move he didn't want to make at this time, according to sources.

"Coach Gruden has let us know that he's not interested, and we're pursuing other candidates," a Tennessee official said.

Doesn't sound to me like Tennessee balked at his contract demands

18. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    I'm not. The NFL is a what-have-you-done-for-me-lately league where there will always be new, fresh names and faces. Gruden is four years removed from having even coached at all, and 5 (arguably 7) years since he had a season worth hanging his hat on. Honestly it says A LOT that the only ones kicking his name around as a coaching prospect are ESPN (who he works for) and that his name hasn't been attached to any actual news for any team with a coaching vacancy (not even for interest - it's always just prognostication and hypotheticals). I'd say, honestly, Chucky's window has closed UNLESS he goes to the college ranks and re-establishes it.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    As promised, here are the comments from one of the Bucs fan poster over at my site that I put quite a lot of stock in (him... and therefore the comments):

20. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Chucky makes big money for 1 day of work.

He's probably got a nice big belly now, too.

He wants his own video game franchise.

The good life.

21. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,371
    Report: Spurned by Kelly, Browns could turn focus to Gruden
    Posted by Darin Gantt on January 7, 2013, 5:41 PM EST
    Apparently not content to limit the applicant pool to rising NFL assistants, the Browns seem eager to jump into the deep end again.
    After being spurned by Oregon’s Chip Kelly, the Browns might be ready to pursue Jon Gruden, according to Mary Kay Cabot of theCleveland Plain Dealer.
    Cabot points out Gruden’s Sandusky, Ohio-roots, and the University of Tennessee link to owner Jimmy Haslam.
    Both denied a previous report that Haslam offered Gruden a stake in his new team, and it will be interesting to see how they respond to this one.
    It’s clear by the aggressive push they made for Kelly that Haslam wants the Browns to make a splash as much as find a football coach.
    And at this point, Gruden’s probably the closest thing left to a cannonball that’s out there.

22. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Bluey, that was almost immediately followed by this, from the same source (PFT):

Source: Jon Gruden isn’t on Cleveland’s radar screen

Posted by Mike Florio on January 7, 2013, 6:40 PM EST
    [​IMG]
    AP
    Chip Kelly won’t be the next coach of the Cleveland Browns, and Jon Gruden won’t be, either.
    Contrary to a report from the Cleveland Plain Dealer that the Browns “might” pursue Gruden, a source with direct knowledge of the situation tells PFT that Gruden isn’t, and won’t be, on the Browns’ radar screen.
    Per the source, the Browns also have no interest in making a “splash” with their hire. The goal was and is laying the foundation for a consistently successful and competitive football operation.
    The latest Gruden rumor comes several weeks after his name was circulated both for jobs at the University of Tennessee and with the Oakland Raiders. It appears that the latest leaked item could be aimed at generating interest in Cleveland or elsewhere at a time when Gruden apparently is ready to consider returning to the game — but no one seems to be banging on his door.

23. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    As much as I love that old saying, it implies a coach who is super competent, who has
    the smarts to overcome personnel, and put a beatdown on the guy on the other sideline.

That sure ain't Gruden!! After Jon blew his load 10 years ago, the anonymous guy on
    the other sideline was the more competent, winning coach over Gruden MOST OF THE TIME...
    Yep, the average NFL coach took his'n and beat Gruden's "world champs" routinely.
    Let's get past the Chucky mystique...

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,371
    You had to know it was pure BS........ Gruden is as hot a commodity these days as AJ Smith.

It's only the owner of the U-T that's desperate to hire the guy (and a few deluded fans). ;)

25. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,019
    Wait! Canepa actually owns the U-T? I mean granted this explains SO MUCH. But... I didn't think they let greasy, fugly, slimeballs own newspapers. Oh wait...

[​IMG]

26. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,371
    Did you not see the U-T editorial?....... 7 Reasons to Hire Jon Gruden

They misspelled John. :roflmao:

27. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,760
    Past tense is the key. That's why I'd like someone like Keith butler or even Mike Zimmer but as we all know, it's going to come down to the new GM and of course Deano. Joe Gibbs didn't fare so well when he came out of retirement. I don't know how Chucky would do but he'd be fun and funny to watch.

28. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +1,153
    I'm happy he's staying here in Oregon :D

Besides, it's more difficult for a college coach to transition to the NFL than it looks on the surface. Anybody remember Mike Riley? He rocked at coaching the Oregon State Beavers, but when he went to the Chargers the wheels fell off his little red wagon almost before he got started. Don't see the need to repeat that mistake when we desperately need a HC with NFL experience

29. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,721
    And here I'd always taken that to mean that everyone in Oregon was a bunch o' sissies!! :roflmao:

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. Joe Charger Power

Joe Charger Power BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I met the telephone operator once, and she knows a lot about football... but I think Gamble would be the best. Happy Tuesday...do we get him or not?