1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Idiot Canepa says Chargers need Gruden

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 6, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,505
    Depends on whether Dean can be swayed at the last minute...... after all, according to Acee, he's already narrowed to two candidates. ;)

2. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    What this team needs for a "face" is someone more like Tony Dungy.

3. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    I don't care for Tony's face.

(oh, and re. the fans who complained Norv wasn't 'rah-rah!' enough...Dungy's a non-starter)

4. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Tony's not leaving the studio, just as Chucky isn't leaving the booth.

So this whole thing is silly.

Now Holmgren... he's a real possibility. So people who hate him better get their megaphones ready.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    Not according to Acee....... no old retreads like Holmgren. That's why they already told Reid no thanks.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    He has zero possibility. He 100% fits the definition that Acee said the team feels is a retread. They want fresh blood, and someone that isn't nearly 65 years old

7. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,727
    They'll tell Holmgren what they told Reid:
    "If you can't eat a soft-serve cone without grossing everybody out, keep walking walrus-man..."

• Winner Winner x 2
  8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    I LOL'd... really, really hard! Well played, sir.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,772
    A new concession stand item could be a basket of fresh sardines to feed the HC if Holmgren is hired.

10. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I love the smell of football in the morning.

Ratings:
    +1,177
    We don't need a face, we need someone with a mind for winning football games...

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    Is Kevin taking a potshot at Canepa?..... ;)

Acee: Chargers need winner, not name

Sure, Jon Gruden or Mike Holmgren would sell tickets right away.
    I guess. Maybe.
    A coach will excite enough people enough that they’ll buy tickets. But it won’t result in a cash infusion that would single-handedly eradicate blackouts or, say, offset the cost of such a big-name coach. And, certainly, such a bump would be temporary without the right results.
    Winning is what will alleviate apathy, get people to spend money on the team again, maybe even get them to hug a Spanos.
    The Chargers are expected to announce either current personnel director Jimmy Raye or Indianapolis Colts personnel man Tom Telesco as their next general manager today, and that man will join the search for a head coach.
    Truth is, the two remaining candidates have informed the Chargers of very similar, if not identical, lists of candidates they’d be interested in hiring.
    Thus, the Chargers have already decided who they will interview, even though they’ve done a remarkable job keeping those names private.
    Holmgren would be the easy choice. Gruden, even easier to make.
    Whoever will be interviewed, likely beginning as soon as Thursday, I just don’t think the Chargers can risk that Holmgren or Gruden might not still actually have the fire, that their message might not still resonate, that the tread on their tires is too worn.
    When I was told a few days ago by a team source who is in the know that the Chargers “need a change,” it resonated. The “change” comment referred to the Chargers brass being interested in someone different than Norv Turner and Marty Schottenheimer, their past two head coaches who came to town after holding head jobs at multiple places over the course of more than a decade.
    I do not believe this precludes the Chargers from considering Lovie Smith, who was fired last week after going 81-63 over nine seasons as head coach of the Chicago Bears.
    I like that move, and I wouldn’t be averse to Ken Whisenhunt, just fired in Arizona. Both men took their teams to Super Bowls, and such experience was described by Chargers President Dean Spanos as a plus. Also a plus, they’ve been head coaches in the NFL.
    But Spanos swore after firing Turner that he didn’t have a narrow definition of what he would be looking for. And I’m thinking he is leaning more toward searching for the next assistant that can become a head coach.
    Several people around the league and inside Chargers Park have said Indianapolis Colts offensive coordinator Bruce Arians is a top target, and Arians is interested in the gig.
    Denounce Arians as a 60-year-old career assistant if you will, but what he did this year as much as what he has done in his career makes him perhaps the most intriguing candidate. Before becoming the Colts’ interim head coach in September and leading them to a 9-3 record during his time serving in place of the ill Chuck Pagano, Arians is the guy who helped make Ben Roethlisberger an all-around quarterback. The Colts this year went 11-5 with almost a dozen rookies playing key roles and with a few dozen different starters due to injury.
    The Chargers should give a look, too, to offensive coordinators Mike McCoy (Denver) and Rick Dennison (Houston). Maybe they should try a new Gruden, Cincinnati offensive coordinator, Jay Gruden.
    But they should not go the big-name route just for the sake of doing it.

12. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,075
    Acee is really starting to grow on me ever since the promotion. The guy finally dropped a pair. Then again... it's not exactly difficult to find ammo when taking shots at Canepa.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,505
    It always helps to have a big slow-moving target. ;)

14. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,723
    Sounds like Acee is very confident Arians will get the job. It would be unlike Acee to not kiss someones *** who might get him exclusive interviews.