1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If Brady heals to 99%.......

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BeerGuy, Oct 23, 2008.

1. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    ...and decides he wants to play for the Chargers, would you want him.

I know it's about as far fetched as you get, but, play along. Would you dump Rivers for Brady? If not, why not? If yes, what's your reasoning?

Brady is a Cali guy........:icon_shrug:

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Carpe Diem et omni Mundio Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +3,016
    no thank you
    edit: I like Rivers better and think Brady's a douchebag

3. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    Brady is on his way down...Rivers is on his way up! At this point I would stick with Rivers.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,460
    Theoretically speaking I'd say yes, but realistically you don't just dump your starting QB when you have one as good as Rivers, even if it's Tom Brady you'd be replacing him with.

It'd be ****ing with team chemestry way too much.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,787
    Intriguing, but, no.

I attribute alot of Brady's success to Belichek, and vice versa. The 2 are just perfect for each other.

I'd stick with Philip because of his upside. We have already seen the best of Tom.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Why would we?

Now if Brady becomes a free agent, there are a lot of teams he could help develop but we don't need him.

Rivers is just that damn good!!! :yes:

7. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Yeah I don't think your gonna read the answer you're looking for here on this board.

Not that Tom Brady isn't a good QB, but Rivers isn't the problem in SD. Even if he's better than Rivers, he's not that much better were it would be worth dumping him.

In fact, there's only a few players I would even consider swapping; Randy Moss (but he's getting up there in age) for I guess our WR1 Chambers (who I like a lot), Seymour for Igor Olshansky, which is an upgrade but he doesn't suck, and maybe Brandon Meriwether for Clinton Hart.

Logan Mankins isn't better than Dielman, but is over RG Goff. LT McNiell is better than Light. Shaun and Shawne are better than Adalius Thomas, but he's good too.

On the other hand, The Patriots would jump all over LT, Gates, Jammer, Cromartie, Scifres, Hardwick, Merriman (when healthy of course) and Sproles at KR. Jamal Williams and Wilfork are both good, so it's not a big deal either way. So is Castillo and Warren.

All-in-all, personal and depth for the most part isn't a problem here, and won't be with AJ here. Yet NE has more success over the years. That leaves coaching.

And video cameras ha.

8. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    Oh and slightly off-topic, what was with the Patriots running up scores last year? Was there reasoning behind it? How did NE fans feel about it Beerguy?

To me, it was definately strange. It's also the reason why many people do not like the Pats at all, and why there's no sympathy for Brady. It wasn't that they won so much, but HOW they won, which seemed disrespectful to the rest of the league. I'm sure they embraced the "cold-blooded, no mercy, us against the world" style. But now that Brady's knee is a mess, is it no wonder the Patriots aren't getting any sympathy, or why Bernard Pollard is gonna (should) get voted into the Probowl by the fans?

9. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    The Patriots don't need sympathy. They need some fine players to fill holes....a couple running backs, some defensive backfield players, a couple offensive linemen, and consistency and growth from Matt Cassel..this week's AFC offensive player of the week.

Don't count them out yet.

10. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Damn! I JUST counted them out. Sorry.

11. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I'd take marooney.

12. GreyHoodie

GreyHoodie BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    ??????

You got Rivers and Brady isn't going anywhere.

The premise is flawed for two reasons.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,460
    The Patriots have Ellis Hobbs who's pretty good at the return game.

I'd take Wilfork over Jamal just because he's younger.

14. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,817
    No offense to you BeerGuy, but my answer would be: Hell. No.

15. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    As much as I hate to say it Brady is a pimp and he made life very easy for the Pats defense for a long time. Most teams were down 17-0 before they could even blink; that in turn allows the defense to be a lot more aggressive.

In answer to your original question no as long as Rivers keeps ***-pimping Jay Cunntler he can stay. :bolt:

16. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +654
    Brady is great, a first ballot HOF, but I think Rivers is heading in that direction, he's younger, he was drafted by the Chargers, so the answer is no

You could, of course, tempt us with swaping coaching staffs :icon_shrug:

17. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80

Actually, I wasn't looking for a specific answer, so it's all good as far as I'm concerned. I was just taking the pulse of the board. Some of the comments within the "karma police" thread spurred me to post this.

Thanks for your answer.

18. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Most fans loved it. It's evident that you guys enjoyed us kickin' the horse **** out of the Broncos last week. Just repeat your glee for 14 weeks, that pretty much sums it up.

I feel like the Pats were running up the score for a psychological edge. If you're facing the Pats the next week you would be compelled to begin the scheming with "how the hell are we going to score 50+ points on this team." If you can get your opponent to buy into the theory that you will post a LARGE number then you've already triumphed, to one degree or another.

19. MountainDew

MountainDew BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    gosh you guys are a bunch of dumbass homers. I would take Brady over Rivers any day. And watch Brees this week tear up the Chargers.:tup:

20. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    :icon_eek:

Ok, man you think that.

21. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    The Chargers have been a tad manic this season.

22. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I'd take a fiery redneck any day of the week.

Philip is by far the most explosive QB in the league. Reminds me of a cross between Fouts and Humphries. Could have been Favre but he is making too many stupid mistakes for the sake of a big play.

Gun slinger when needed but doesn't risk it all for one play.

Brady is talented with a system built around him. Can he step into any system and succeed? Doubt it. Can Philip? I think he could. I think this is a reasonable assesment by evidence of the coaching change we experienced.

23. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    This is kind of a total non-sequitur. Any team with a talent like Brady who doesn't build a team around that talent needs a management change.

Rivers is a good quarterback, but what does he really have to show for his efforts?

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,460
    Homerism has nothing to do with it.

If you read half the no posts you'd see everyone saying Brady is better.

It's more about not ****ing with team chemestry than which QB is better than who.

The QB is the team leader, you don't just rip him away because some big name guy becomes available.

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,460
    What, exactly, do you mean? I mean he leads the NFL in QB rating and touchdown passes right now.

Is this a veiled no-Super Bowl pot shot? Are you insinuating that team results are all on the QB?

And yes, Brady is better than Rivers. I just don't understand the point of your question.

26. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    No, not a pot shot. I don't know if you're old enough to remember Archie Manning when he QB'd the Saints.

Manning who was a fine quarterback who was surrounded by losing inept teams...no championships...no MVP's...no fame after football.

The only way Rivers will be recognized as a first class talent...not that he really isn't...is to lead his team to a championhip. It worked for Eli.

Rivers may be doing just fine, but the Chargers record is pretty mediocre at this point. If it stays this way throughout this year, and next...remember, the years a good team has a window of SB opportunity don't hang in there for more than 4-5, and then the team begins to break apart...Rivers will become just another 'good' journeyman QB who may become trade fodder if the SB season doesn't happen along soon.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,460
    Oh, I fully understand he won't be perceived in the same light unless the Chargers (re: not Rivers, the Chargers) win the Super Bowl, I just didn't understand the point of bringing that up in a thread questioning Chargers fans whether or not they would want to toss Rivers aside if it meant replacing him with Brady.

And I don't really see how he becomes trade fodder if the Chargers don't win it this year or next.

How many years was Dan Fouts with the Chargers without winning it?

How many years was Marino with the Dolphins without ever having won it?

Both are hall of fame QBs, by the way, so that kind of tosses your "after thought" argument out of the window as well.

And, yeah, neither ever won it, but how about these

How many years was John Elway in Denver before they finally won it with him?

How many years was Peyton Manning playing for Indy before they finally won it with him?

Teams don't give up on elite players as quickly as you're insinuating here.

And don't read that as me calling Rivers elite, but he does have the potential to be there with or without a ring in the next two years.

But hopefully he has one this year or next making us never be able to find out.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,817
    In the words of T.O. "he's my quarterback"

A homer? Yes. A dumbass? Nope. PR is exactly the QB I want for this squad - he's the leader of this team - he's got passion and talent - most importantly, he FITS. Brady is a great QB, but he's not the one for me.

29. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    So true:tup:........Really funny, because he is:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

30. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Ok seriuosly.........Quarterbacks need to fit the personality of the team and the city. Brady would NOT fit in in San Diego unless everyone in San Diego is from La Jolla or Scripps Ranch.....NOT..... PR really fits into the personality of San Diego and the NEVER QUIT mentality.

No Offense to LJ or SC persons.....but us PBers know what the real world is or use to be when I grew up there.....lol :yes::yes: