1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

if Franklin is signed

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by MasterOfPuppets, Mar 8, 2015.

?

which lineup would you prefer

1. Dunlap, (FA/rookie), Watt, Fluker, Franklin

66.7%
  2. Dunlap, Franklin, Watt, (FA/rookie), Fluker

33.3%
  1. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I know there are other combination (feel free to include them) but mostly I want to see if you guys prefer Franklin at guard with Fluker at Tackle, or the other way around

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    It depends heavily on what's available in Free Agency and the draft which I'd prefer....and that's how I'd approach the offseason if I were TT

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I'd prefer......Dunlap - Watt - FA/R - Fluker - Franklin

Or Fluker on the left doesn't really matter to me. I just never bought into Fluker as an OT.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    What we want doesn't really matter a hoot, where I'm concerned. Rinehart was exclusively a RG/RT in Buffalo under D'Alessandris prior to coming to us. Troutman, while never outstanding, has shown out markedly better at LG over RG. You throw them out there in various combinations (preferably adding another option at center, even if we role with Watt penciled in at the starter's spot) in camp and find the combo that gels the best and is the most effective.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    Then why have a fan forum then?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I say for now

LT Dunlap
    LG Franklin
    C Watt
    RG Rinehart
    RT Fluker

7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    I'd be shocked if Franklin was brought in to play RT. He was a top 5 LG in 2014 is making top OG money, and if you watched 16 Charger games last season, you witnessed how bad Chad Rinehart was at LG last year.

Dunlap, Franklin, Watt for now, with Fluker at RT. We have to find a RG who is athletic and has the Joe D tangibles he likes (arm length, height, weight) to complete the right side of the OL. Need a RG who can pull and do well in space when working up to the 2nd level IMO.

I just don't understand why Chad Rinehart is still on this roster. I expect him to bet cut sometime into next week, possibly after Franklin's physical checks out and he puts pen to paper. I just don't see the point in keeping him around at $4.25m I believe it is.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    I'm going to sound like a broken record here like I did when everyone was screaming for Clary to be cut....but unless you have plans on doing something with the money Rinehart is getting then you don't cut him. Depth, especially at the line, is never a bad thing.

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Depth is great if the player can step in and be decent. Rinehart was terrible in 2014 and that's being nice. He graded out as the 74th worst OG out of 78 or something like that. You can get that kind of production for a rookie salary instead of $4m+.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    My argument for cutting Clary down to a T.
    Although to Telesco's credit he did get Clary to take a big paycut....before putting him on PUP the entire season.

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    So we can bitch incessantly and take years off our lives by elevating our blood pressures, cultivating ulcers, and driving us to drink so much that cirrhosis of the liver is all but assured?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +136
    I think thats because that was where the injuries were. He was a backup/utility lineman, so he only got playing time when people got hurt. Urbik ended up with a year long injury, and he played RG for that year. He played some LG when Levitre was out (or moved, Levitre played more than a few games at either LT or C), and I think he may have played a game or two at RT when needed. So he didn't exclusively play there.

But I think Ideally, we'd be able to get a starter in the 3rd or 4th round, and either slowly move him into the starting lineup, or start him right away if he comes on faster than we thought, and use Rinehart as depth.

I'm still praying that Levitre gets cut, and we can swoop him up cheap, as a LG and backup C.

But schematically, I think Franklin is a better fit at RG in our scheme, and would be a ton of help to Fluker in pass pro, and a CRAZY matchup with him in the run game. In the past, Joe D has kind of kepth the "mauler" types on the right side (See with Urbik/Wood/Hairston/Clary) and but its hard to tell what he liked at LG, since Levitre was already there and he did really good with him there, but I'm not sure if he would like to use a bigger, more powerful guy there ideally, or if he really does like that moving OG to block second level and pull more often. I guess we'll see this offseason.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    You're not going to find someone without flaws to play backup. If they weren't terrible to some degree they would be starting somewhere.

Rinehart may not be who we want starting but he has starting experience and knows the system. I'd rather have that as a fallback plan than some random league minimum journeyman or 7th round pick just because they're not Rinehart.

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Yeah... I'm with a couple of the lads above. Why not have Franklin at RG and Fluker at RT. Play Watt at center and let Troutman battle it out with a (please God) Bitonio like pick in the draft at LG. King is LT of course.

Unless a stud Tackle falls to us in draft then we have all sorts of options like have both Fluker and Franklin play Guard.

15. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Oh dear Lord, please no Troutman! I concur with Hollywoodkid on Chad Rinehart as a backup option but Johnny Troutman on the right side?! :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    I think everyone who engages in this debate needs to hash out ideas of who exactly you plan to target for that LG or RG spot instead of just putting in "FA/Rookie".

I mean, even if I felt Fluker was best suited at RT and Franklin at LG (just as random example) I'd more than likely still feel inclined to put Fluker at RG and Franklin at RT if I felt the available LGs were much better than the available RGs. (or vice versa if my opinion were the other way around)

17. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The Flounder?....... yeah, I'd prefer he occupied someone else's roster.

18. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Well Rodney Hudson was my first choice, but now he's gone so...

C Cameron Erving (would really give us beef up front)
    OG La'el Collins
    OT Jake Fisher

I think all 3 positions are still an option. No reason we have to commit to Fluker or Franklin at RT just yet, or Watt at C.

• Like Like x 1
  19. mettadown

mettadown BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +29
    Dunlap, Franklin, Trevor Robinson (Played well against Cincy), Watt, Fluker?

20. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    well, as for FA all I've heard is Iupati (which is not a great pass blocker), rookies maybe Collins (LSU) or Peat(Stanford) but I'm not a hugh college football watcher so I don't know those guys

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Of course not, but I can find a player better than Rinehart was in 2014 and he doesn't have to use up $4.25m of my cap space. Jeremiah Sirles came in at RG for the last 1 1/2 games in 2014 and didn't play bad, actually out performed Rinehart IMO. It makes 0 sense to keep a guy who was one of the worst OGs in the league in 2014 for the money he's receiving just because he knows the system and adds depth. That's bologna.

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,412
    Like I said, if you plan on doing something with that 4.25 mil then by all means make the room.

But 99 percent of the time it's just a blind call to cut the guy with no answer to the 2nd part of the equation (like you provided here) as if just cutting the guy will make the team better.

23. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm pretty sure that the Chargers could find something to do with that cap space

24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I was suggesting Trout battle it out for LG spot not RG.

I'm done with Rinehart, he can walk.

I'd like to see this O line L to R;

King
    Trout (or Bitonio like draft pick)
    Watt
    Fluker
    Franklin

25. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    since Franklin was listed as G, let´s assume that´s where he´ll play, so how about:

LT Dunlap
    LG Franklin
    C Watt
    RG Fluker
    RT La'el Collins/Andrus Peat

26. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    All the talk amongst the experts is that Franklin is great at pass protection and average at run blocking. That said, logic would dictate that he would be more effective at Tackle than Guard. I can still see that Chargers drafting a Guard in the Draft, possibly even in the first round in order to solidify the OL to get the best out of Rivers remaining years.

If the Chargers draft La'el Collins or Brandon Shereff than Franklin could play Left Guard and let the rookie blood in at Right Guard.

27. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    All reports I've gotten from Denver folks (fans and a couple hardcore bloggers) are that we can expect to see an uptick in his run-blocking compared to what they saw given that our scheme - while using zone-concepts similar to theirs - puts more emphasis on "power." Gehlken is fairly confident Deebo's being penciled in at LG. How the rest of the line shakes out may boil down to who else ends up available to us and how our FO has certain prospects graded.

As things stand, with the addition of Franklin, I have trouble seeing them being terribly high on an "ROT" prospect unless the guy also projected to be able to play LOT (figure that Dunlap's contract is 4 years, so any rookie RT draft would be up for extension - with the possibility of a 5th year option if he's a 1st-rounder - when that happens). We could be looking at any number of configurations: Drafting Cameron Erving and shifting Watt to RG, drafting a pure RG like Laken Tomlinson, Ali Hobart (more tackle-convert but his best project is at guard), or AJ Cann and playing Watt at center, or drafting someone like Jake Fisher, Rob Havenstein, or Daryl Williams and kicking Fluker inside.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    With the OL we have now being somewhat interchangeable and the draft (reportedly) deep in OL-men, it looks like the option might be there for TT to use #1 pick elsewhere, focus on a true guard in 2nd round (and subsequent), and still end up with a pretty dang good front five.

29. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
  30. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +636
    • Agree Agree x 2