1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If I didn't know better I'd swear the Chargers lost last night

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by HollywoodLeo, Sep 15, 2009.

1. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,420
    reading some posts on this forum.

2. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Instead of bashing the the Chargers, lets tell the truth....The raiders are a tough team and we knew they could run the ball and battle...

The Chargers played pretty damn good in the second half. The game was way more physical then the team prepared for IMO. Our D got hit in the jaw and didn't realize it until mid second quarter. Minus one huge secondary mistake, they played physical and tough football the remainder of the game.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    If I didn't know any better I'd swear some people have no problem with how we beat a second rate team

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :tup:

that one thing is what pizzed me off the most

but a win is a win

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

5. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    No no, we can't credit the Raiders for playing a good game.

They wear a skull on their helmet and are called the Raiders, therefore they always suck and any team should be embarrassed to play a close game with them.

I mean, if our resident lawyer can back this logic it must be true.

6. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I'll take a win seven days a week and twice on Sunday no matter how it comes. :yes:

7. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I feel a bit upset at the game being so close, but all the top teams had difficulty winning their games this first week. Today, I feel a lot better about the win. The bolts made an 89 yard drive when they had to to win the game. That's a good football team. Ultimately, we won when we weren't playing very well. But having said that, the turds played a great game, so it's not like we were stinking it up against a lousy team. At least not last night, they weren't lousy.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I think some people who have never played competitive sports in the life should step away from the Madden games...

• Like Like x 1
  9. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Exactly.

Not once, but twice did Rivers drive the team down the field late in the game to gain the lead back.

And he did it behind a patchwork OL no less.

That's the mark of a good QB and the mark of a good team.

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    A very sound post. Ant, please take the time to read each sentance three times...:yes:

11. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I think some people should take over their powder blue colored glasses and get their heads out of the sand

12. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I never thought it was going to be an "easy" win. It took a huge effort last year when we were down 15-0 late in the third. We scored 25 points in the forth quarter to win that one. Did we get lucky last year? I say no. I think there is a lot of parity in the NFL these days and the "worst" teams in the league are a lot closer to the "best" teams in the league than people want to admit. That being said, our offensive line looked dominated most of the game and we're going to have to figure a way to play stronger if we want to win. I'm expecting some moves now that the first game is behind us.

Later

13. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    Call em' second rate once they hit a few more quality opponents. From what I saw was a funamentally sound team. Nothing tricky, just sound smash mouth football.

And yes, I still hate the Raiturds. :abq2:

• Like Like x 2
  14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    Ant, take a break from personal insult wars with conc and focus on the points here.

I can't speak for anyone else, but it has nothing to do with being blind with me. It has to do with the complaining being pointless and serving no purpose.

You're right if they play like this all year they won't beat stronger teams and if they play like this in the playoffs (assuming they make it if they keep playing like this) they won't get far in it, but that's all predicated on them playing like this every game.

You don't know if that's going to happen or not because this is just one game.

All good teams have a bad game or two in the course of the season, so we don't know if this was just an ugly win or a precurser to things to come like you're making it out to be. It's just too soon. For all we know they could show up next week and dominate the Ravens....or they can play ugly again, who knows?

Just enjoy the victory for what it's worth and worry about next week next week. That's what I'm doing.

Chargers: 1-0

• Like Like x 1
  15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Well said. That is spot on the nose what I have been trying to tell him.

Further, there is no such thing as an easy game against a division rival. Perhaps some are to young to remember whne the Chargers were the cellar dwellars of the AFC West. But they still showed up and played hard against the divison rivlas.

Did anyone really think that a team we had beaten 11 times in a row (and lately in very hard, contested games) would simply roll over and play dead because they were facing the Chargers?

That does not happen. Not in the NFL.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I don't know if I'd say that

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200812040sdg.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200812280sdg.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200710070den.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200712300rai.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200609110rai.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200612100sdg.htm

But, all that aside, the Raiders have played us close more often than not over the past couple years and their D was pretty tough last night.

17. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931

Having grown up when we were the constant cellar dwellars we did play the Raiders and other hard on occasion, but of course THEY WON. And usually very handily. Why? Because good teams should beat the heck out of bad teams. We're they going to roll over and die? Obviously not. Should we have dismantled them from the get go? Yes clearly. Did we? no. is that a cause for concern?

Apparently not

I'd like to see the people who are as thrilled about this win be as concerned with the poor play, but I guess that's a thought crime.

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Stat watching again Leo? I am not talking final scores, I am talking easy games. Ask any lineman if those games, no matter how lopsided was easy. Ask the Chargers if the Raiders ever laid down for them.

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    There's a difference between being concerned about sloppy play and writing off the playoffs and our defensive coordinator after week 1, both of which you have done over the course of the past 12 hours.

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    No it is not a crime. As I already told you, you are upset because you had unreal expectations that the Chargers were going to steamroll over a poor Raiders team.

Do you think their defense played a poor game Ant? you give a lot of credit to the Chargers being bad, was there anything the Raiders did good? If so, how does that stack with your theory that the Chargers should have steam rolled a bad team?

Lets talk about bad play after week 3... After week 1, and a win, it is just doom and gloom prognostication to me.

21. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Something tells me this weeks podcast will be interesting. :unsure:

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    I doubt the Chargers linement would say the Titans layed down for them in this game, either. :icon_shrug:

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200609170sdg.htm

Nobody lays down for nobody in the NFL, and there is an inherent level of difficulty in pulling it off no matter what game you're dicussing, but it seems to me they had about as easy of a time as it gets in an NFL game in those games.

23. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Hey look, the bottom line is everyone talked up about healthy we were, how we had to get off to a fast start, how having RR as a DC was going to improve the defense.

Take away the fact they we pulled out a win,

my question would be,

did any of the above come true last night? If that offensive lineman the raiders call a qb had made two or three critical throws we would have been blown out.

yes, yes, coulda shoulda woulda.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    And if LT doesn't fumble the ball the Chargers have the lead going into the half.

"Ifs" are lame, it's not what happened.

And I don't know why everyone's ignoring Rivers' elite-QB-caliber 2 minute drill last night.

25. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    True, my point is simply you cant just show up and win a game.

26. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,420
    That holds true for any game, not just divisional games.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Ok, so all off season long, everyone said "SHUT UP AND PLAY" and "EMBRACE THE HATE" and all those cute little slogans. Now we find that a majority of the fans here wrote off the Raiders. Mentally some decided that the Raiders would be blown out, regardless of the fact that with a lesser defense they played us hard three out of the last four games (excluding last nights). last year they lead through half the game I believe in San Diego.

So is it the team not being ready, Rivera sucking, or is it that some fans had unreasonable expectations? Which ever it is, your choice. Hate the win, or love it. Your call, I imagine we will all still be rooting as hard for a victory over the Ravens on Sunday.

28. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,931
    But there are games you should win easily - this was supposed to be one

29. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Based on what? Your expectations?

Please look at all the easy games this weekend that were NOT easy. The first week of the season is always like this. Remember last season all the teams that looked like superbowl contenders the first week, and were struggling by October?

Well, what ever you make of it. Its a win, I will enjoy that.

30. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I can't sugar-coat this game... The Chargers played like crap. Against the Raiders or the Patriots, I expect them to compete. They did not. The Raiders manhandled them across the board. Smashing runs up the gut for 5+ yards every time? Wide receivers running wide open all over the field? TE's with so much acreage between them and a defender you could build condos? A guy who has been on the team 24 hours making, what, 3 sacks? If Russell was as talented as the third-string QB on any other team, they would have gashed us for 45 easy. Last minute heroics and do-or-die drives are fine but it can't come to that. This game was last season all over again and I was sickened by it.

I hope Norv puts them back on two-a-days...