1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

IF Jackson gets traded what happens?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by charger1993, Jul 2, 2010.

1. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Will the Chargers bring in a receiver like T.O. or will jeremy williams or seyi artitoutou take his spot. Lets just say we trade Jackson"yes i know he has to sign his tender"but lets just say he signs and we trade him for a 1st and a 3rd or two 2nds, who will be the team to take jackson first now that miami is out of the way,seattle or jets???and
    does Stephen cooper get demoted to 3rd string or 2nd string??? donald butler is impressing and i think he will be our starter with siler second...and Does Brandon Lang make the team... Give me your thoughts

2. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    No on TO.
    Seattle and Washington seem to have shown the most interest in VJ. That being said, I think a trade is still unlikely.
    If VJ doesn't sign or is traded that would make two WR's from 2009 that are gone (Osgood being the other). Josh Reed was signed to fill one of the spots and my money would be on Jeremy Williams getting the other. Floyd, Legoland, and Buster will get almost all of the playing time.
    Cooper starts. Butler might replace him but it won't be for a while. Siler starts. Brandon Lang has a very good chance of making the practice squad but not the active roster.

3. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    thanks for your input.. but doing back to Butler how many games into the season before you think he becomes starting???, and you dont think lang will make the team? he seems like he could very easily make it,i think the rookies we did draft will make a impact as rookies

4. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    We signed Josh Reed

5. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    yea we signed josh reed but he's nomore than a slot guy, josh reed can not take the place of vj...so if vj gets traded we will have to find somebody who could fill those shoes

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    I bet they sign Josh Reed.

7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    I don't think there's anyone available that can fully take the place of Vincent Jackson.

The best they can do is find an able bodied WR and hope Floyd can be up to the daunting task.

Whether or not Reed is that able bodied WR is another discussion.

8. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    ive got to many questions about reed, i would rather bring in another FA or bring in one of our UDFA

9. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I was joking about Josh Reed.

10. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I heard Tim Ryan on Sirius NFL say that Jackson last year had 1 TD every 8 catches (it's actually 7.55); while Floyd last year had 1 TD in 45 receptions. (but in 09 Floyd had 4 TDs in 27 receptions - a 6.75 avg)

They've played different roles thus far, but it's no mystery as to why each of these guys have had (and will continue to have) success... ANTONIO GATES. Gates is the key to opening up the vertical passing game. Having NO running game last year proved that. Just look at the numbers Gates put up. Amazing.

If Floyd can improve his route running to be as tight as Jackson, he'll be good for at least 50 catches and 7 TDs. While Gates should go over 70 catches. And with Mathews hopefully going over 1000 Floyd will see a lot of single man coverage.

So there should be no question. Floyd becomes Jackson. Unless one of these rookies completely bucks the trend and becomes a superstar. Not likely.

11. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    you make a very good point. i like the way you put that to. so the receiveing core would include floyd,nanee,buster,reed,williams,along with gates,wilson,epps

12. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    We will take a step back in the WR department in 2010.

You can't replace Jackson.

We will have to find other ways to get the job done, but I think teams will stop us more in 2010.

13. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Rivers will get it done. :yes:

14. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    No depth at WR.

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We'll move on as the San Diego Chargers.

VJ is a part of this team or he isn't. Either way, I'm watching Charger football in 2010.

The WR position will be populated (hopefully) by guys who listen to a HOF-caliber coach, Charlie Joiner. :icon_toast:

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    you guys are forgetting we still have Davis. He's good when he's healthy. So lets all pray he stays healthy.

17. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Exactly. And this is why McNeill will likely be in uniform before week 1... and Jackson will be left to twist in the wind.

18. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    We were all ******** baby elephants when John Jefferson (JJ) got traded.

Remember ?

There was no way JJ would be replaced....that is...until....Wes Chandler arrived.

Lance Alworth left for the Cowboys and (we ate **** after that). :lol:

19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    Not really. :icon_tease:

20. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    I heard something last night that made me wonder. What does Rivers think about possibly losing his number one wide receiver? What kind of talks are going on with those two or are there any talks at all? Maybe Jackson's locker room attitude is questionable? I don't know. I just know what I have seen as far as big strong receivers like this. This caliber of talent does not come around every year. AJ new it when he scouted and plucked him up. That has got to be the worst part of Aj's job. To find a jem. Get him. Have your staff hone his skills and then possibly have to give him up to the opposition! Business is business but this player is special and I'm pretty sure no one feels that pressure and sting more than AJ. With that said, SIGN HIM SMITH! please:lol:

21. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    this xInfinity

22. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Jackson doesn't even rank in the top 3 of Rivers' concerns right now. #1 Antonio Gates' health, #2 Marcus McNeill's massive body missing from his blind side, #3 Tra Thomas/Dombrowski scamble

23. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I don't think Rivers is truly concerned. He's confident that no matter who he's throwing to, he'll move the chains and move them quickly. Floyd's tall, reliable, and plays like Jackson. He's not as physical but he can mix it up. It's probably not much of an adjustment. We should still see a sweet vertical passing game out of Floyd, Nannee, Reed, and Gates (assuming he'll be highly reliable despite this situation with his foot).

He's probably more concerned about how Dombrowski or the veteran Thomas' play will make him adjust to the pocket situation. Either way Rivers, the Chargers, Jackson, and McNeil are playing it close to the chest. Don't hold your breath for soundbytes.

24. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Perhaps someone should remove VJ from the Bolt Talk banner (AND LUIS F-N CASTILLO AS WELL) and put in DON CORYELL, and GATES instead.

25. Scott the Rock

Scott the Rock BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Marcus for sure is on his mind. Gates played pretty much with a bum foot and toe for an entire season. His toughness is proven and his game face never folded. When we start having conversations about keeping Gates around or who will replace him I might have to sit out these forums for a while. Don't tell me that our QB is not a little concerned about losing Jackson. Take a good look at some of those passes that our golden boy threw that he not only went and got but straight out handled. Jackson is a player you try to keep around. They seem to make plays that the recently deceased coach was drawing up before most of this teams fans were able to Tie their own shoes. The Chargers revolutionized the passing game. This new NFL is an Offensive one guys. Defense wins championships? I don't know about that anymore. Every good team in this NFL is going to have a strong D but how many great teams can beat you in a variety of offense? Maybe 5. With Jackson(and a good line) we remain in the 5. UUUgh. I'm sick of talking about it. The crazy thing is that receivers are a dime a dozen.
    But not this one.......and that is my last rant about Jackson.:bolt:

26. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I really want to see it click for Buster Davis. There are some guys you can just see have the raw talent to be 1000yd recievers, he's 6'1 210lbs and runs the 40 in 4.40, he's turns into a punt returner with the ball in his hands, and according to all his college coaches he has hands like fly paper....so I can see why AJ thought he was worth a high pick.

The problem is he doesn't have the toughness or durability.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,418
    I'm not holding my breath for Buster Davis but I do think it would be awesome if he surprised and had a break out year.

28. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think Naanee could be this years Pierre Garcon.

And I've heard rave reviews of Jeremy Williams, kid may already be the best route runner we have, and a lot of people were shocked that he didn't get drafted just because of the torn labrum.

29. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Concur big time! T.O. = "Team Obliterator"