1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If LaMichael James is there in round 2, do you take him?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by szarmes, Apr 23, 2012.

1. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Or perhaps Lamar Miller?

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,555
    Not sure this is worthy of its own thread but... I'd take Miller, not James, and I say that as a UofO fan who watched this guy get injured - every - single - week! Even when he was present he was playing injured.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    No from a talent and from a need area

We do not need to spend a second (or IMHO a third) round pick on a need that is so far down the food chain. Unless we trade back into the first to get both an OLB and a SS, we will still have needs that are more pressing than a third running back as the second day commences.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I'd like to have either one but honestly the true value for a running back has gone down especially if we're looking for a back up.
    If you even look at Trent Richardson, He may be the best running back next to Adrian Peterson but some even can argue that him going to the Browns may be too high, it's funny because no one questions Tannehill going at 8.

Its hard to predict what we will do but with these new reports circling around that we want Barron and will trade up for him I'm banking we lose a 2nd round pick and still have to address needs at OLB,CB,TE,OL and many other needs RB being one of them

guys I think could be late round value picks

Terrance Ganaway

Bobby Rainey

Tauren Poole

Vick Ballard

Cyrus Gray

5. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    I agree its not a huge pressing need, but any RB we take will actually be 2nd string, I think AJ takes one 4th round at the latest.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929

I'd be fine potentially taking one in the fifth but before then we will have more pressing needs all over the place; DL, OLB, SS, OL, TE etc.

7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    What order do you guys rank our needs

Im saying

SS and OLB are 1 and 1A

NT,DE,OL,CB,RB,TE,WR,QB in that order. If the opportunity presents itself for lets say a Marvin Jones were to be available in the 4th even though we seem set at WR I feel with this being such a deep class it wouldn't hurt for us to grab one just to mold.
    But only after we got an OLB, SS (Barron,Smith,Taylor), NT and DE

8. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    if lamar miller is available at 49 i think we gotta take em... i seriously doubt hes gonna make it to 49 but if he does and harrison smith is gone by then i think itd be a good pick.. granted its not our biggest need lamar miller at 49 is an excellent value pick not to mention mathews has missed his fair share of time over the past 2 years and without tolbert now it would be nice to have a solid dependable second back

9. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,929
    Even assuming that what you ranked is valid (and I happen to agree with the majority of that), does it then make sense to take something from the latter half of that list over either 1A or 1B depending on who we take in the first? It might be a BPA option but we can't afford to pick just on pure BPA with so many needs

And Whooki if Miller or Wilson is there at 49 I'd be taking phone calls and getting ready to trade back if anyone made me a good offer. Other than that, I'd avoid both. Again, not as pressing of a need

10. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    Yeah thats a good point but i wouldnt wanna trade back too far because we still have holes to fill on this team... and if we werent able to obtain enough value in a trade back situation IMO it would certainly be a luxury to add a back of millers caliber at that point in the draft considering mathews running style, he might not miss a lot of games but we all know he does miss halfs and quarters of games with minor injuries regularly.. maybe i have a biased opinion because ive been a huge lamar miller fan since he came out of H.S. but i think you can agree once you start drafting for need instead of best player available it gets both dangerous and thats when reaches happen :eek:

11. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The NFL expanded the rosters to 90.......... just bring in a bunch of UDFA RB's. ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Lets say Barron is gone and we take Perry (The guy I want who's not named Barron) with Perry marking OlB off of our need,
    The obvious off of my list would be SS, but lets say Brandon Thompson or Alameda Ta'Amu is sitting there starring us in the face (Both who I really like Ta'Amu with a slight edge only because I believe he'll be a better NT) but lets say its a choice between those two and Brandon Taylor I would clearly jump the need of SS and take the NT to attract double teams to open up lanes for my first round investment.

So with OLB and NT marked off I would go off whats next then I'd see what CB is available vs. SS vs. OT/ guard (versatility being the key)

Im more of a needs vs. BPA but only in a reasonable reach, just because I need a SS Im not going to grab Allen in the 3rd because I need him, The draft is such a crap shoot and living by BPA is such a joke because does anyone really know who that is? In 2000 after Urlacher was off the board technically wasn't Tom Brady the best player available

13. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    IMO we have to sure up that SS position in the first 2 rounds... there is a clear drop off in safeties after baron and harrison smith and in cb after claiborne, gilmore, kirkpatrick (who i have my doubts about), and jenkins.. we currently have antonio garay back for this year with cam thomas rotating in giving us good snaps so although it would be nice to insert some talent to the position we currently only have atari bigby and darrell stuckey at SS right now which does scare me quite a bit.. im not ready to write off stuckey yet but i think drafting a talented ss this year will cover a bigger hole then adding a d lineman especially with todays passing attacks, having a weak link in the secondary could be disastrous for both our defense and our season

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I agree, but that falls into my theory of need OLB and SS. I want those two positions to be filled over anything else but at a reasonable cost.

I
    f we were to move up to the 13th pick for Mark Barron, and lose our 2nd round pick would you give up a 3rd and 4th to move back into the 2nd to grab Lewis or Curry? In that theory I'd say no I'd skip over OLB and go off of the next area of need NT, O line etc. maybe try for Massaquoi in the 3rd or 4th.

As far as safety goes I know Bigby is just a band aid, but even if we can't land a safety this year, and I mean "THE GUY", not just a position. If we can't land that guy who can come in and fill the void we needed help at for so long, I'd rather sit PAT with Stuckey and Bigby and wait forNext years class which I understand is better.

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,555
    We should have at least 2 or 3 of those crossed off by the time we reach the 4th round. And reality is all those positions become a crap shoot once you hit the 4th round, and RBs shortly after become a guessing game as well. IMO at this point I'd take a solid day 1 backup RB over another Stuckey/Dobbins/Clary type project any day.

16. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    sorry i misread your post i thought u were suggesting drafting a DT.. and yeah i couldnt agree more about how we have to handle the ss position.. we either grab our guy in the 1st or 2nd round or i think we skip it all together.. bringing in another 3rd or 4th rnd safety project isnt what we need.. im pretty confident AJ is gonna full the need whether he reaches for smith in round one, moves up for barron, or takes somebody like perry in round 1 and moves up for smith in round 2.. id be shocked if we go into the season with jus bigby and stuckey

• Like Like x 1
  17. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Our needs are:

SS and OLB

then, NT, C, TE, T, CB

then, G, DE, WR, K, RB

then, QB, P

I tiered them based on how pressing the need is, i.e., how bad we are at these positions, and how difficult the position is to acquire.

18. jackfrost

jackfrost Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,378
    • Agree Agree x 1