1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If Merriman Plays This Year

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Gridreaper, Aug 26, 2008.

1. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...After everything Merriman is hearing from the doctors, the media and even maybe some questions arising from the organization itself, I'll say this much. If Shawn Merriman decides to give it a go this year, it will say boatloads about how hungry and dedicated he is to winning that Lombardi. It also would show how much his teammates mean to him. He doesn't have to prove anything to them, they know the risks he'd be taking. If he goes for it...I think this team will be behind him and will be unstoppable!

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    ^ I agree. I also think it will be the last year of his career if he goes for it.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    If he sits, I believe he is still a Charger through 2009.

If he plays and takes one wrong hit, ending his career, what good does hunger for a championship do him?

4. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434

I agree about the being hungry, however I would personally have to go tell him that he is a moron, and needs to have his brain examined as well.

We are extremely deep at LB and him sitting out this year wouldnt hurt us that bad.

Especially the way Jyles Tucker is looking and we all know Marques Harris is capable as well.

5. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Then again, if he plays and gets hit in the knee and tears his ACL, his whole career would be in jeopardy. I don't question his commitment, I know he wants that Lombardi. But I would rather have him healthy for a stretch run and for the playoffs, then risk getting seriously hurt and then out for the season. It's a tough call, but god forbid he plays and gets a Torn ACL. It would truly be "Lights Out" for him and us this season. :no:

6. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    No, that is a lose-lose scenario. Merriman might last a month or so, but no way in hell does he last the whole season, playing at a high level.

All that does is delay the acclimation of Jyles Tucker into the starting lineup, as well as whoever steps in as the backup OLB.

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    There will be one of three ways this will work out:

1.) Merriman has the surgery and gets put on IR. He misses the entire season, and postseason. Should the Chargers win the Super Bowl, HE WILL NOT GET A RING. Only players activated for the Super Bowl get a ring in a victory. Shockey didn't get one for the Giants' win over the Pats.

2.) Merriman has the surgery, and his roster spot is kept "open" for him. He takes up one of the 53 spots, but this will make him eligible to play late in the season and postseason should he be able to come back in December/January.

3.) Merriman plays at the beginning of the season, but the hard work takes its toll on his knee and he's unavailable in December and January. He might also damage it much more severely this way.

8. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Of your three scenarios, obviously #2 here makes the most sense. With a surgery such as the one he needs...is playoff ready an actual possibility? The Chargers should cruise to a division title and playoff opportunity. It's after that, when the big dogs come to fight that we need to turn some lights out.
    I've heard many different time tables on recovery time so who knows. This option looks like a winner to me and gives Shawne at least a shot at that elusive Lombardi :bolt:

9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    If we PUP him don't we get an additional roster spot for at least the first six weeks or something like that?

10. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Good point. I think they would get the first 6 weeks where he can sit it on meetings,etc but not practice. Then he would have a three week window to practice (or not in his case) before the Bolts would have to make a move either to the IR or to the 53 man roster. That would buy another 9 weeks.

11. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Merriman can't be PUPed because he's practiced and played in the preseason (Dallas game).

So he either makes the active roster or is IRed.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    He will play.

13. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Thanks for clearing that up. Oh well, back to option #2 :lol:

14. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Thank you for the clarification Sluggo! :tup:

15. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Don't know what scientific evidence you base this opinion on. But I agree with you.

16. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    That is my gut feeling as well. Why else would Shawne go to all this trouble to get multiple opinions from doctors? Sooner or later one of them will tell him what he wants to hear.

17. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    I think he'll play.
    I just wonder the insurance implications for himself and the Chargers if he plays with a pre-diagnosed, potentially career ending injury.

18. LFEpooh124

LFEpooh124 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +38
    Kind of reminds me of Boobie Miles. I hope SM and Chargers management go with Option 2. SM is too freakishly awesome to risk that sort of career ending injury. I have faith that we can bear without him for the regular season, and if he's good to go by the post-season... bring him back. Unless JT blows us away this regular season, then there is definitely no need to rush SM back.

19. Oakland Charger

Oakland Charger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +8
    I don't think it would end his career it would just be a step back. He will need to reconstruct the ligaments either way. He already squashed that notion when he was saying at the San Diego Airport that further playing would threaten his career...I think he is too stubborn to sit

20. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    1) wrong. everyone in the organization gets a ring. shockey got one too...

21. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Let's wait and see how the surgery goes.

Hopfully, he'll be able to play in December. Especially in the playoffs.