1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

If released, Steve Smith to Chargers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Mar 6, 2014.

1. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
  2. Dominion Bolt

Dominion Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +104
    Very interesting idea. Smith on one side, Allen on the other, Royal/Green/etc, in the slot, and Gates at TE- that's a lot to worry about.

3. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    I mean he'll be 35 by the start of next year, but hauling in 64 receptions and being the #1 option in that Carolina offense is impressive. He still makes the tough catch and can still stretch the field on a seam/streak route. He shows up in big time games as well, and provides a toughness and leadership this team could use. Also, the preparation factor and competitiveness he brings to the table week in and week out and could really groom guys like Allen, Brown and whoever we draft this year.

Allen, Gates, Green/Royal, Smith and Woodhead as one of our packages just might make this offense too potent.

4. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +175
    No thanks to Steve Smith. I'd rather see us bring in a younger option that we can develop alongside Keenan and Ladarius.

5. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    We'll draft on on Day 3 to develop. I'd bring him in no doubt, the connection with McCoy and Graves is strong and there is a mutual respect between Smith and McCoy and Graves.

6. English

English @tonywaters

Ratings:
    +78
    Smith? It's a yes from me based on what I've seen on TV.

The small print:

I know zip about football so my views are not worthy of consideration

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,602
    He'd be a great addition alongside Allen and would give us a great deep option, but this would require bringing in someone young late in the draft for development

8. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    No. We can find younger, faster in the draft. We have enough "locker room leaders". Smith has been a great player but he doesn't fit the direction of this team.

9. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    How so? We brought Dwight Freeney in last year? Emergency signing or not, still brought in a 33 year old pass rusher.

We have a clear need at WR. We need another reliable target besides Allen. Smith provides that and fits this offense perfectly. He's still fast, have you seen him play recently? He made some difficult, contested catches, like he's done all his career. His a willing run blocker as well.

There's nothing to not like about this. He wanted to come to SD to be close to home 3 years ago when we we're involved in trade rumors. Now, that factor plus McCoy and Graves, get him here TT!

10. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +69
    I'd take him but he seems like the type who wants to get paid. I imagine that if he's let go it's because he wouldn't take a pay cut down to a level that brings him into play for us. Which means he's looking for more money than we can offer.

11. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    He's 35 with a big mouth on the downside of his career. Not a fit. WR class is deep with fast, shifty guys. Freeney was far more of an emergency than WR once Ingram dropped & Telesco had a history with him.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Most likely a 2 year/$10M deal, and that's being generous, Welker got a 2 year/$12M with incentives included in his deal but he signed when he was 31 and as a slot receiver, Smith would be 34 going on 35, but hauling in 60+ receptions in 8 of the last 10 seasons and also just over 140 receptions and 1,900 and starting 32 of the last 33 games the last 2 seasons is quite note worthy.

13. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Yes - let's please continue the tradition of overpaying for players on the downside of their career.

Welcome back, AJ!!! :tup:

14. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    What's having a big mouth have to do with anything? Rivers has one. It's on the field where this all happens. It shows his fiery, competitiveness and toughness that we could use on this football team. He knows McCoy and Graves, our WR coach very well and their is mutual respect between all.

I'm not saying we still don't draft another WR high in 2014. I think we should be looking in the 3rd-4th rounds, but good luck if you think we're getting a guy thats going to contribute right away like Keenan Allen did last year.

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    LOL

Did you not just read the last sentence or two there? Clearly on the 'downside' of his career. The guy still has a lot left in the tank if you pull off those numbers.

16. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    His fiery competitive *** is 35 yo in a young man's game.

17. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    Yeah I read it. I also remember you being ecstatic that we traded up for Mathews, so pardon my casual attitude towards your expertise on the subject of team building.

18. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Too bad I wasn't around when Mathews got drafted. But, yes I was constantly defending him, and what do you have to say to his 2011 & 2013 seasons? A bust? Compared to other RB's taken in that draft after him, like Ben Tate, Jahvid Best, Dexter McCluster, Toby Gerhart or Joe McKnight?

19. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Wrong. He's been like that his whole career. Which means you've never seen him play.

20. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +456
    Smith would be a solid pickup for a year or two while we coached up some younger talent. Can you imagine Smith lined up as the #2 receiver? Allen would take the heat away from Smith and he would eat some people for breakfast. Smith has always been the one on the field to lock down, and he still won the matchups most of the time. With another awesome receiver on the other side, and scary targets inside, Smith would be in heaven.

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    That's the thing as well, who has Steve Smith had in Carolina to help him out during his career? Mushin Muhammad? That's about it, with Jake Delhomme the only QB worthy of bringing up before Cam Newton starting developing as a pocket passer. And still put up amazing numbers his 14 seasons there.

Steve Smith also knows what it takes to get to the big game. Come on home Steve Smith.

22. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +175
    your suggesting we should sign steve smith for 2 years 10 million dollars? :confused:

23. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I say he cost too much then and we could have gotten an impact player staying put.

24. Riff Raff

Riff Raff BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +226
    I never said he hasn't been this way his entire career. I repeated your description of him and added that he's 35yo in a young man's game. You may want to work on that reading comprehension skill set.

25. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    What does this have to do with Steve Smith? Nothing. If we stayed put, we would of drafted all those players that came after Mathews. How are there careers going by the way? Because Mathews has outproduced them all, even the player taken ahead of him in Spiller. This is such an old argument don't even know why we're arguing it, if you can't get over a guy that we drafted 4 years ago and is producing for the team you have a problem.

• Like Like x 1
  26. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Once again, said that's being 'generous'. He could come much cheaper than that, but again just look at his play and look at the numbers. Its not like he is a 35 year old Keenan McCardell, who actually put up real good numbers in '05 when he was 34 years of age if any remembers.

27. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +175
    I have seen him play and I have looked at the numbers and his play has declined steadily the past 3 seasons. If the panthers let him go its most likely because they would rather be 1 year too early than 1 year too late. I just dont see how we could spend a good portion of our available cap space on a 35 year old WR when we have many needs that need to be filled this offseason. Yes adding a veteran WR would be nice but we do have weapons such as keenan allen, eddie royal, antonio gates, ladarius green (who we all expect to be getting even more playing time next season even split out at wr) and even have danny woodhead out of the backfield had close to 80 receptions last year. We could definitely use another WR but if we signed steve smith at anywhere between 3.5-5 mill a year that is basically saying we are going to go with rookie CBs and/or sign patch job free agents to play opposite of Shareece and at nickle. I don't believe we are really in a position to be signing guys for around 4-5 million per year but if we do i believe CB is a MUCH bigger need on this team than WR is.

28. NYCharger

NYCharger BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +69
    Another thing to note about Smith: It actually costs the Panthers $2 million more to cut him than to keep him. If they designate him as a June 1st cut, they only save $1 million for 2014, and take a $6 million dead money cap charge in 2015. Given the limited cap benefit of letting him go others teams should probably tread carefully if Smith ends up a free agent.

29. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,609
    This is such an obscenely deep WR class I'm not looking to a vet in FA unless it's a rediculously good deal.

It's not out of the question that guys like Beckham Jr, Adams, Matthews, Robinson, Moncrief, and maybe even Kelvin Benjamin are on the board when we pick at 57. I'd just like to see us spend our limited cap somewhere else.

• Agree Agree x 2
  30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +633
    Steve Smith's play the last 3 seasons,

(2013) 34: 16 games, 68 receptions - 819 yards - 5 TD's
    (2012) 33: 16 games, 73 receptions - 1,174 yards - 4 TD's
    (2011) 32: 16 games, 79 receptions - 1,394 yards - 7 TD's

#1 option in Carolina's offense and put up numbers without an elite QB. Now, look at those numbers, and imagine Rivers throwing the ball at him with even more weapons for defenses to plan for. He would be the #2 receiver in our offense, I don't have much faith in Vincent Brown at the moment after last year.

On defense, the secondary got noticably better once we got decent and consistent pass rush. Played their best football at the end of the year, coincidentally once Ingram got back. Shareece Wright will line up on one side, we'll have a competition for the other spot. Whether its through FA, the draft, or one of our own. We're not bringing in those top of the line free agents.