1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If released, Steve Smith to Chargers?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by SuperCharger92, Mar 6, 2014.

1. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    Well lets be fair, we're not exactly in a position go another route thanks to our cap situation. Guys like Grimes and Shields just set the market high, and we should expect Talib, Verner, Davis and DRC to out price themselves as well.

Captain Munnerlyn might be an option, though I think he'll get more than people expected too.

What's your plan?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Well good luck getting what you'd like. Because Vontae Davis, Alterraun Verner, etc. all aren't coming here. We're gonna rely on Shareece Wright, Marcus Gilchrist, and either a veteran at a very low cost or Steve Williams/Rookie.

Look what we did to Denver since that's our "road" to the playoffs in our 3 games played. ONLY team to hold them for under 28 points all season in the AFC, and we did it 2 times with a very inconsistent pass rush and Richard Marshall and Shareece Wright at CB, and 1 time in the playoffs.

Now, what didn't we do against Denver, twice may I ask? Score more points than them. Which when you hold a team to well under there average output of PPG you should win, and considering how their defense was pretty banged up all year and terrible we COULD of been 3-0 against Denver. Just saying.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  3. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Yeah thats probably true Im just trying that if we are gonna make a splash in free agency id just rather it be at cb instead of wr. I doubt we make any splashes regardless so i think the best course of action would be to just wait for the market to settle and then bargain shop. Every year there are guys that come into free agency expecting a big deal but after a bunch of signings they are left there and are forced to take a deal less than they originally anticipated. I feel like there are about 15 quality starting CB's on the market that could come in and help us. hopefully we are able to grab one of them once the initial spending frenzy dies down which is where the value deals are found. Guys like cortland finnegan and cromartie were just recently realeased and im sure more cap casulaties will come as we progress through the offseason. with so many quality cbs on the market i believe theres a chance the market could become saturated which would allow one of these guys to fall into our lap at a deal we could afford.even if that scenario doesnt materialize id at least like to bring in some new guys maybe like a nolan carroll or somebody like that. by no means an impact player but at least a younger guy with some starting experience and may have some upside. Id like to see the position addressed one way or another prior to the draft

4. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    1.) Name them
    2.) Did you watch Finnegan and Cromartie in 2013? Both had pretty consistent and a damn good pass rush, so there can't be an argument there.
    3.) Carroll is strictly a nickel CB. We have one in place already.

5. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    What i do remember is the playoff game we couldnt stop them on a 3rd and 18 to get the ball back with a chance to tie or win the game. and do you really believe our ability to hold them under 28 was because of how good our defense was? I believe it had a whole lot to do with us running the ball and chewing the clock and keeping peyton manning on the sideline.. in addition the defensive scheme pagano drew up was pretty effective but just imagine how much more effective it would be if we gave him more to work with... our offense had to play more conservative in order to help out the defense which i believe contributed to the lack of offensive production against denver.. and ryan matthews didnt play in the playoffs which really screwed us offensively as well

6. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    So we controlled the clock in 1 game. Doesn't mean we we're conservative at all in the 1st and last match ups.

The 3rd and 18 was on Weddle. He was supposed to be lineup on Julius Thomas and instead Bront Bird had to cover him man to man. So miscommunication there.

7. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    1) Verner, Talib, Shields, Davis, Rodgers cromartie, Munnerlyn, Terrel brown, Thurmond, cromartie and even finnegan, tillman, graham would come in and immediately be one of the 2 best cbs on our roster 2)I watched all jet games as i live in NY and cromartie actually had a pretty solid year only questions about him are his age since he will be 30 for next season3)I havent watched enough dolphin games to know but i do know he started the whole season for them... and gilchrist is used there because we have no other option it would be nice to let him play safety and bring in a nickle cb and keep addae or stuckey off the field on 3rd and longs.

8. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    so you believe that the way to beat denver is for us to add to the offense? the defense is good enough how it is we just need more offensive fire power?

9. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    and im not sure what game you watched but the playoff game was called so conservatively in the first half and after we were down big then we got aggressive and started scoring but it was too late

10. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Verner, Talib, Shields (signed), Davis, DRC, Brown, Thurmond, Cromartie, Finnegan and Tillman all won't be here on less than $3M a year. Can even throw Graham in there as well as he will be looking to get paid.

Cromartie had a solid year? Are you sure?!

11. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Maybe because we tried to establish the run with Mathews? Similar to how we beat them in the previous meeting before that playoff game, but Mathews hobbled off.

We started scoring more, because we had absolutely no run game and we're chucking the ball around.

12. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Ryan matthews was at like 30% health and was barely on the field what are you saying

13. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Did I say the defense is good enough? Fact is we're getting Ingram back (hopefully) to start the season, Freeney (hopefully) to last the season and adding some players via FA and the draft.

But, I do believe we need some weapons on offense as much as we need guys on defense. I'd still make the defense a higher priority.

14. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Interesting how we are signing free agents signing a whole draft class and signing steve smith for 4-5 mill with around 5 mill total in cap space right now.. im not too good at math but sounds too good to be true!!

15. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    In our 4 possessions in the 1st half we ran the ball 11 times. We tried to establish the run with Mathews, until he hobbled off, then shamelessly with Woodhead in the 1st half.

16. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    LOLOLOL

I'm dooooooooooooooone. You win my friend. You are the ultimate GM, congrats.

17. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    im far from the ultimate gm but the only thing stupider than your idea was the facts you used to support it.

18. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Agreed, he put in a solid season, though he had a great front 7 to help him out.

Munnerlyn said he's open to another 1 year deal apparently. And I'd take both Munneryln and even Florence here in SD to compete and possibly start at CB.

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,732
    C'mon you guys…by my count this site has about 25 Ultimate GMs…all of whom know waaaay more than the 32 real ones!

Screen Shot 2014-03-09 at 5.45.35 PM.png

20. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    But where's your plan? Oh wait..

Let's sit on our hands and hope guys like Cromartie and Finnegan take close to the vet min. or about $1M salary to be in SD. Finnegan doesn't even fit our scheme, he likes to play man-press and Cromartie burned bridges in SD and is also coming off a very bad year in which he was crippled and burned throughout 2013.

Steve Smith can still come at 2 years $7M or even cheaper. I don't know. I was estimating. But at least we know what we're getting with the $ we're giving him.

21. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    What dont u understand about the cap? why do you fail to understanding that we have nearly no spending money. but yeah lets give a 35 yr old wr a multi year deal LOL... Can you please tell me a few WRs that have been productive in the past 5 or 10 years that have been older than 35? and yeah unfortunately we have no choice but to sit on our hands right now and wait for the market to settle and become for favorable for us. With every day that passes a free agent that is unsigned begins to lose leverage.. In the early stages money is always flying around and it is extremely difficult to find a real deal.. and i never said anything about finnegan or cromartie fitting our scheme or being great exceptional but are you gonna make the argument they wouldnt be the 2nd best cb on our team? because if thats the case give me 3 minutes so i can make popcorn to enjoy this

Attached Files:

22. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Don't worry guys, KA13 won't need help in '14-'15..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,774
    15? Come on at some point you're talking about like for like players with what is already there. I see 5 that are potential long term starters, another 3 or 4 that would probably make the roster but I wouldn't want to see starting, and everyone else......meh.

We don't need to stock up on of 3s and 4s to improve the CB situation, we have plenty of them already. What we really need is a DRC, Verner or maybe Talib, someone who can cover damn Demaryius Thomas...and we just can't afford them this year.

I think Munnerlyn would be a nice #2, maybe Corey Graham or Terell Brown. One of those guys + a high draft pick is probably the best we're going to do.

24. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    Richard Marshall would recieve a nice welcome back on my part, wont break the bank and most importantly has proven he can play in this system.

If we were to bring over a WR in free agency, I would be all for bringing Hakeem Nicks over on a one year prove it deal with incentives, Who listed Philip Rivers as one of the 3 QBS he'd love to play with. I would also like the idea of Andre Roberts. But I believe this position is left alone unless its to bring back Seyi for ST's

Rinehart is another one I feel we can and should bring back, again has proven he can play and be productive in this system, the only knock on him is his inability to stay healthy, but with the right depth we can afford to have him be our LG when he's healthy.

If we do bring in one bigger FA I think it would be at the NT position, if not I again would welcome the idea of bring back Cam Thomas for the vet minimum.

find talent through the draft and depth through free agency

25. EOTL

EOTL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +81
    I wouldn't mind this at all if Nicks is willing to work with those particular terms, though I feel some team out there will overpay for his services.

• Like Like x 1
  26. temeculabolt

temeculabolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    We need offensive speed people! The tight end shouldnt be the fastest guy on the offense. Steve Smith is no longer a deep threat and neither is Hakeem Knicks. We need somebody tall or somebody fast, we dont need more keenan allens on the wrong side of 34. A healthy Denario, Mike Evans or one of the speedsters from the draft and some interior O-line help is all this offense needs to be spectacular!!!

27. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    Nolan Carroll played outside all year for the Dolphins and had a pretty solid year...i dont know where you got that he was only a nickle....

28. Duffman57

Duffman57 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +130
    So you want Mr. 4.6 to add speed to our team in Mike Evans.....? hahahhaa

We dont need an elite receiver, but we need a bunch of spot guys. I've made this comparison before, but we're very much so built like the Saints WR corps. Allen is someone similar to Colston, but will play the same role, the "go to" WR. But then we have a whole array of one dimensional guys. Royal has a skillset pretty similar to that of the role Kenny Stills (or previously Lance Moore) has, and is a great fit in that same role. We're really missing a guy who they used like Meachem and Devery Henderson (when Meachem wasn't a total injury wreck). We need a guy to stretch the field deep to open up Allen/Gates/Green/Woodhead. I agree we need speed on the team, or just a deep threat.

If we go for WR early in the draft, look at Cooks, Beckham Jr., and i'd be really interested in Paul Richardson in the 3rdish round.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +179
    Another option would be ted ginn who would also give us a return game that has been non existent here for quite some time.

30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    He was included in a heavy rotation though. The only full time starter at CB was Brent Grimes.

Carroll got exposed by us in Miami, 20 possible coverages, 9 failed. Pretty bad when he faced Royal and Ajirotutu in that game. I'll pass on him. He gave way too much cushion in that game, which sounds familiar, so guess he fits in here.