1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If Rivera was Our Coach....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Sep 28, 2009.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    With this existing team, do you think our team would be different? First off this isn't an anti Norv thread just looking at a team like the Jets with Rex. He has for the most part the same team as last year but they are playing extremely well especially defensively. They say that Rex's pregame speaches are rather inspirational. I try and wonder if Rivera talks to his players seperately and then when Norv gives a speach if that mellows the players out. I can't see him giving a pep talk that pumps up the palyers.
    The Jets come out fired up from the get go where as the Bolts take a little time to warm up. If Rivera was to give a pregame speach does anyone think that the players would come out and play any differently? Even the 9er's with Singletary are playing some pretty solid defense. There definitley seems to be some defensive minded coaches who without a doubt bring out a certain toughness and attitude. I am trying to figure out if it is the players they have, the system their in or if the (defensive minded coach) brings the best out in the players. I don't think teams like the Jets or 9er's have better players then us but they definitely seem to play a more inspired defense.
    I will end on this though......I think our defense is starting to show a little life to it. What is tough right now is that I don't want Merriman in right now because he isn't that difference maker right now but in order for him to get back up to speed he is going to have to play. Tough call.

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,046
    If we don't win the super bowl this year then I will be ready for something different

:bolt:

3. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm not sold on Rivera but the defense did come through yesterday. If they play well in Pittsburgh, he may be onto something.

4. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Holy crap.....thanks guys. I posted the same thing in a different charger board and they jumped all over me about it being an anti-Norv thread and couldn't understand that I wasn't bashing Norv but rather just trying curious if a defensive minded coach would have the players playing differently. We all seem to agree that offensive and defensive players seem to have different personalities. Nice to see that folks here aren't as big of ashwholes as they are over there and a bit more reasonable. Ya'll remind me why I left that other place for a reason.

5. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,787
    He probably ignored Norv in the 2nd half.

:icon_rofl:

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,917
    I wanted ryan and look at the Jet's, nuff said.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,787
    You are not alone.

Seeing Ryan's and Singletary's successes in their new roles isn't exactly fun, knowing we could have had both of them.

8. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,917
    I'm done for the night, y'all have a great evening and GO BOLT'S.

9. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Just my stupid thoughts here.

If we do not get coaches that we the Fans select personally all the rest are Caca. It is hard to have all of us Chargers fans be Happy with what is selected outside of our control when it comes to Coaches, Administration and Players. The Management knows something that we do not. We just have to be either happy or pissed off about those moves. We the fans are not the ones in Owners/Managers office making those decisions.

I do agree though that that there is the What If's here. Would we be 3-0 or the worst 0-3 or something in between?

I do not know what the so far outcome would be. It would be interesting to say the least.

10. Ride The Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,787
    Wow, that's a pretty passive aggressive post from you.

So what are you trying to say, we as fans shouldn't be allowed to have an opinion? I'm pretty sure you're not, but comes off that way.

Hey, even as much as I hate B4L's rants, he IS entitled to his opinion, as are we all. If not, might as well put the closed sign in the window and log off.

11. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I was not trying to come off as passive aggressive.

I was trying to say for the time being that we the Fans just accept what we have even though some might not like it and just still be able to voice our opinion.

But not go on and on about that opinion. Just say it a few times and then go on to something else when it comes to our Coaches, Administration and Players.

To keep on topic though. I do think as my emotions are concerned that we the Chargers would be in a better place even with our injuries as Rivera at the HC position. The Chargers would be at 3-0. That is my feelings.

12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +723
    There were many. I just dug through an old post where there was a talk between Tuner and Ryan. I had a nice puke symbol beside Turners name. :yes: Ryan was my choice back then and he is doing well so far with the Jets. Let's see how he is a the end of the season before we crown him.

There is nothing on which to base River as a HC yet. He has never been one. There a whole lot more headaches and pressure to deal with as a HC compared to a DC or OC. I would hope that Rivera is up to the task and never lets clock management be a failing. That is what happened vs Baltimore. Utter failure to manage the play clock and directly costing us the win. I hope AJ took a few pounds out of Norv's ***. :beat:

We have what we have for now. So I hope for the best.

13. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I do not hate Norv but three years of declining performance tells a tale. Yes we went to the playoffs last year but that was due to a weak conference. We have declined as far as performance in the past three years and is it all Norvs fault IMO no. Child please.........his play calling is suspect some of the time, it is enough to question his abilities as a complete head coach. He does have his moments as a head coach and the team is hanging on and the end of the season will tell the tail.

I posted this quote from the UT by a fan and I think it is very accurate statement.

Quote:
    Hellsbells51 Today 09:37 PM
    Turner did reiterate Thursday, “I want to get Michael Bennett more involved when we can.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So why in the hell did you stop using him in the Ravens game!? Once Norv figures out how to handle a running game he will be a better offensive coordinator...yes I meant offensive coordinator because he still hasn't proven to be a HC, IMO.

IMO, to be qualified as a HC you must (at least) possess the following traits: motivator, disciplinarian, leader, knowledge of both passing and rushing plays, knowledge of defensive schemes. Out of those intangibles, how many does Norv qualify under? One. Knowledge of the passing game.

:bolt:Go Chargers:bolt:

14. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,917
    I don't mind Norv as our HC and in fact it reminds me of the Coryell years, all offense and what the hell is defense.

15. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Reminds me of the same thing, except I think we are better on defense than we were back then. I suspect we'll get even better when Ellison replaces Hart.

16. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I think Rivers did too.....:lol:

17. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

You do you explain the inability to do squat in the first half, smart guy?
    Week 2: Third down in the red zone with 13 seconds left... kick a field goal.
    Week 3: Second down in the red zone with 40 seconds left and a time out... let the clock run in result to a missed field goal.

BTW... I'm assuming that you're smart enough to realize that if the Raiders still had Garcia, we would have got or asses kicked in week one. Cable completely out coached Norv!

18. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Our tolerance for anti-Norv sentiment (both real and perceived) is uncharacteristically high. Thank you B4L. :tup:

19. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    There are a lot of things I don't like about Norv. I lived in DC when he coached the 'skins, I didn't like him then and I don't like him now.

But I love the way he's allowed Rivers to open up and throw the deep ball. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Martyball and physical football... but god damn... that deep ball is exciting. :yes: