1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If special teams can't be fixed, Chargers won't make playoffs

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Nov 12, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    By Nick Canepa

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at 6:46 p.m.

It’s not supposed to be for publication, but word has it the Chargers, to even the playing field, have asked NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to fine players who block their punts and return any type of kick against them. Double, if they score.

That’ll make them think twice, even if the Chargers have trouble thinking once.

After all, if the Commish is dishing out monetary punishment to players for being mean, what can be meaner than some guy interrupting a perfectly good football game by taking advantage of your weakness — basically, ignorance — and blocking kicks for scores or returning them for touchdowns?

Nothing in sports is more demoralizing. Fine these unfeeling jerks.

OK, so the Chargers have done nothing of the sort — although they may be goofy enough to ask — but in all seriousness, this is serious. They’ve won two straight games, are 4-5, which keeps them in AFC West contention, and now find themselves in the Bye Week Spa, where the sick and injured can be healed.

But it doesn’t matter if they have 16 byes at Lourdes. If they don’t fix the worst special teams performance of anybody’s lifetime — not to mention take care of the ball when they actually have it — they cannot win the division or make the playoffs. Period.

“You’re not going to win,” head coach Norv Turner agrees, matter-of-factly.

Football, being a game of real estate, simply doesn’t work that way. And they certainly can’t expect opponents to fall in line and be as cuckoo as they are.

They give away points. Points are precious. They lose the football (eight interceptions, 13 fumbles). The ball is precious. Yards are precious. So should pride and dignity be precious.

“I’ve never been through anything like this,” Turner says.

Has anybody?

Has any NFL coach, through nine games, had five punts blocked (the other 31 teams have a total of five), four resulting in immediate scores and another a touchdown one play later, and had two kickoffs and a punt returned for TDs?

Winning in the NFL is hard enough. Trying to play up Kilimanjaro every week is close to impossible.

“Our guys have handled the emotional side of all this; that’s not the issue,” Turner says. “Getting down 7-0 or worse, right away, that’s the issue, fighting uphill all the way. In Houston we were able to overcome it. It’s a challenge.”

Not to mention other costly, boneheaded special-teams plays. We can’t forget Jacob Hester last Sunday in Houston catching the errant opening kickoff and stepping out of bounds (Turner: “A horrible decision.”) Instead of getting the ball at their own 40, the Chargers got it at their own four. Three and out, blocked punt, Texans touchdown one play later.

Real estate, man.

On average, San Diego’s opponents get the ball at their own 30. Only Dallas (31) is worse in The League. Punter Mike Scifres, poor fellow, is second in the NFL in punting average (48.0), last in net (27.0), and probably first in bruises and attempted tackles.

I’ve been watching football for a half-century and haven’t seen anything approaching such ineptitude. Special teams coach Steve Crosby has taken the hits — at least those not aimed at Norv — and if ever there were time for a change, it would have been now, during the bye week.

But Turner will have none of it. He insists it isn’t coaching, that his special teams fellows are diligent during the darkness of practice and then, who knows why, go all squirrelly when the lights go on.

“When things are going good,” Turner says, “we recognize something and do what we did in practice. Then, for some reason, we suddenly see ghosts.”

Must be. They’re trying to block people they can’t see.

One thought is that ace special teamer Kassim Osgood no longer is a Charger, having gone to Jacksonville. Turner pooh-poohs that idea, and he has a point, in that 31 other teams don’t have Osgood and aren’t stepping in this mess. Besides, Kassim’s a gunner. He wouldn’t be whiffing on blocks.

“The punt thing has nothing to do with Kassim; it’s been mental, not physical,” Turner says. “Denver returned two kicks against us last year and Kassim was a gunner on both.”

I won’t say Norv is delusional, but he’s on record (Monday) saying his team won’t have another punt blocked this season. He isn’t backing down.

“It’s just to put pressure on guys,” he says. “It’s bad to get a punt blocked. When our quarterback gets sacked, our offensive line takes it personally. The guys on punt teams have to feel the same way when a punt gets blocked; everyone has to take it personally.

“We’re going to get healthy, that’s the big thing, and we’re getting some guys back (Brandon Siler, Larry English, Legedu Naanee). We’ve asked guys to do things they haven’t done. We’ve already done some things with how we line up with guys who know exactly what to do.

“It’s going to be fixed.”

Wasn’t Norv one of the king’s men trying to fix Humpty Dumpty?

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    In other news, water is wet.

3. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Did Canepa figure all that out on his own...

4. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
  5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I think they all come in here and read what we post. It saves time on doing any kind of research thus allowing them more time to spend with the family.

6. gsxr

gsxr BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Hasn't Crosby been with the team 8 years? I seem to recall we were pretty good on special teams before. Who was it that wrote stats mean nothing? It's not like we've been blown out of any game.

7. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    And the sun is bright.

8. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    The earth is flat.

9. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    How many gaming titles do you have?

10. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    What if it is dehydrated?

11. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am a 50th level Dungeon Master!

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Then it's not water. Dehydration is the absence of water.

Were you going for evaporated? Water vapor is still wet.

13. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Are you trying to tell me that the dehydrated water you can buy at novelty shops isnt real?!

14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    I'm just telling you "dehydrated water" is a semantically impossible.

15. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    uh ohh

don't tell me the Easter Bunny, Santa, and the tooth fairy !!!!??? :eek:

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    You made that up! I am not talking to you any more!

17. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I purchased a can of powdered water. What do I add?

18. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Read the instructions! Duh! :lol:

19. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    It says add water but I am trying to make water for it out of the powdered water! :p

20. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Wait until it rains...

21. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    13 and everyone of them was won while I was at work

22. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    In all seriousness (and back to the original topic) I too have NEVER seen a Charger team or ANY team look this bad on special teams. I mean getting a blocked punt is a rarity if you ever see it. It's just happens to routinely on this team. I just don't see what the flock is going on in the trenches on special teams. Are guys just confused or just stupid or both? Canepa is right that if we don't get ST fixed we might as well just wait for the April draft. Every team, good or bad has a chance to win against us when we spot them 7 to 14 points no matter HOW good Rivers and company are. I know this is a "no duh" but I'm just as baffled as anyone why we can't pick up the rush on punts and can't tackle returners. We got time to figure this shiat out and it better happen quickly. I don't think it's all Crosby's fault either btw.....

23. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    It needs to be said again...

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    do we need to say that water is wet again as well?

25. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    :lol:

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Mexico is a nice place, just don't drink the water.

27. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Be careful eating at Subway too. My wife and I ate at a Subway in Cancun a while back and got some serious "Montezuma's Revenge". It was BAD. I has just started a new job and couldn't call in sick. It was just sheer hell. Just like Chargers Not so Special Teams this season...