1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If Test Comes Out Positive.......

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltsnow, Oct 26, 2006.

1. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    What does Merriman do? Not about the suspension but aout taking supplements in the future.

If he was taking the same supplements for months & months and according to him he has been tested something like 15 times, that may date back to last year also, and he has always comes up negative. Does he continue taking supplements with the knowledge that this can happen again? My guess would be that you would have to be an idiot to put yourself and your team in jeapory again in the future.

What's stupid is you can eat or drink anything that can give you a positive test and truely be innocent yet positive is positive. Mmmm a good steak & potato.....bang, 4 game suspension!:icon_rofl:

2. SDC-IL

SDC-IL BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    If that's the case, then Merriman should change supplements after consulting with the NFL and team doctors.

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    There was a SDUT article that stated that in 2001, a large assortment of supplements were tested as part of an IOC investigation, and nearly 20% of them were found to contain very small amounts of various banned substances.

So, unless the manufacturers have cleaned up their act in the past 5 years, taking any supplement without having it tested first is Russian roulette it appears.

4. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I thought I read somewhere that some over the counter cold medications can give you a false-positive.

5. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    This just is not true. You don't test positive for eating a steak. Everyone uses the supplement defense. It's almost never legit. The chances of Merriman being innocent are astronomically slim.

6. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Not for steroids.

7. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    So tell me this, how much has to show up in your system in order for them to take action?

I'm not in the medical profession nor do I claim to be but I am sure that anything at all can happen to have a positive result come up. The steak & potato comment was meant to be comedic. But in a way, I'm sure that in some weird way.....it can happen.:icon_shrug:

8. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    That was my undersatnding that some of these companies might be able to produce certain drug that are banned in sports and if they use the same equipment to then produce the ones that athletes use, there could still be traces of the banned drugs that get introduced with the other supplements.

I'm not there but I can definitely see it happen. Especially since most of these companies are not governed by the FDA.

9. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    No, it can't. I don't know the testing parameters for steroids, but I do have an aunt who is a biochemist and has worked for a lab that tests for performance enhancing drugs. She says that the odds of getting a false-positive for Nandrolone are extremely low. It's similar to the guy who says he tested positive for weed because he was in a car where someone was blazing. It's just incredibly unlikely.

If Merriman is that one in a million guy who is truly innocent, then I feel for him. But the overwhelming likelihood is that he falls in with the other 999,999 guys.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    There was an article posted that a study was done on Nandrolone that certain combinations of things could elevate the natural levels and trigger a positive. :icon_shrug:

So who knows. I guess we will all find out on Nov 7th.

11. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    I'm not saying that he didn't take Nandrolone, what I am saying is that it is possible that what he did take may have had traces of the banned substance. Now I don't have a relative that is a biochemist, but I do have a finger that can type. This is an article that I found that says that it is possible for what Merriman is claiming can happen.

http://sportsci.org/jour/0003/lmb.html

12. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    We won't find anything out except for if Merriman is suspended (which he will be). The issue of whether or not the positive test was a result of a supplement is only to clear him name.

13. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    I am sure that if there is anything that points to the supplements or something else, then his lawyer is going to let everyone know.

• Like Like x 1
  14. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Absolutely!

Like I said, Merriman knows he is going to be suspended. What he cares about at this point is to clear his name. To work as hard as he does to be where he is, the last thing he wants is to ruin his name on something that was innocent. Others may disagree with me and that's fine. Without going into detail, I have worked extremely hard on certain things all my life and if all of that was in jeopardy over something I had no willing knowledge of....I would be pissed off!!!

15. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    That article simply advocates better regulation of the supplement industry. That's something I certainly agree with, but the odds that Merriman tested positive because of a tainted supplement are astronomically small. Is it possible? Sure. But very very very very unlikely.

16. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Yeah I agree. It just seem odd that with all the postitive things this guy has been doing off the field that he would jepordize it by juicing up and with a well known and easily detectable roid.

With all the undetectable substances that are prolly out there, like "the clear" was, he would use one of those if he really wanted to juice up.

It is not like the guy blew up like Mr. Body by Balco.

17. KimPossible

KimPossible BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,054
    If the test is verified positive, I doubt he was just taking supplements. I doubt trace amounts possibly in supplements would cause high enough amounts to test positive...nor does cold medicine or eating meat.

No more positive tests Shawne. And regarding his supplement: other jars/bottles factory sealed from the same lot would have to be tested to see if his supplement was indeed contaminated. An open bottle or jar is not reliable.

Sadly but realisitically I agree. If supplements were routinely contaminated with anabolic steroids at a level high enough to trigger a positive result, almost all the players would be affected. Postive tests results would be common.

• Like Like x 2
  18. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    you have to remember he's been tested I beleive like 15 other times with no positive. So something happened this time. Possibly something he just started eating might be laced with the nanodrolone without his knowledge.

One thing you have to think here. There is no way merriman is gonna want to wreck what he's worked so hard to accomplish. I would find it very hard to beleive he took a steriod with knowledge of it..

19. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    Thank you Foober!!! Players know that if they knowingly do something they aren't and if they are tested it WILL show up! If he is tested that often, he would have to be a complete moron! And I don't think he is.

20. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, if he was successfully masking his steroid use for an extended period of time, it would also come as a shock to him that he was caught.

I don't think these guys brazenly use illegal substances without a verified plan to beat the test. But those things are not 100%, especially with the a steroid like Merriman was busted for--one that is stored in fat cells for several months.

In the end, it all comes down to probabilities. If you have only a 20% chance of getting caught, and the steroids provide a huge benefit, then you might decide it's worth the risk, especially when the penalty for getting caught is not that great.

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Bingo.

This is why nandradolone (stored in the fats cells for a long time) would seem like the dude was a fugging idiot for intentionally using it and we are hard pressed to believe he is that stupid.

As I have said Merriman should just use the **** they do not test for (HGH) if he thinks he needs an edge

Then Merriman should watch tapes of Lyle Alzado's brain cancer pouring out of his ear drums as jelly. :icon_banana:

• Like Like x 1
  22. MacBolty

MacBolty BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    OK, like another person in this thread stated " I have fingers that can type" as well. From what I have been reading, the testing for Nandralone doesn't actually find the steroid, but instead finds a byproduct that the body produces in accordance. From what I have also read, scientists have proven that if you take certain over the counter substances (IE protien shakes/enhancers and amino acids and such) and combine that with major amounts of cardiovascular excersize, then the body can produce enough of this byproduct that the body produces when you take the Nandralone. There have been numerous overturnings of suspensions in Olympic track and field and other athletes due to these inconclusive results.

Now I'm not saying that 56 did or didn't take the Nandralone, but this is a somewhat logical explanation for what may have happened. Could he have taken a ton of supplements and done massive aerobic excersize to keep his muscle mass up and keep from getting winded in the fourth quarter? Sure he could have. But also, after reading up on Nandralone, it seems that this is a steroid that has a great effect on building muscle mass and healing for a very minimal health risk. So who reall knows what the truth is. Only 56 does. I, personally, am going to choose to believe the supplement story, because I don't want this kick *** defense to be tainted by Nandralone or anything else! GO BOLTS!

23. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Well how about the theory that Merriman knowingly used the **** in the offseason, and miscalculated how long it'd stay in his system? He was in the first group of people busted, so it was probably the first test of the season.

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil: Then fry the fuc-ker. :icon_evil: :icon_evil: :icon_evil:

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    This would pisss me off even more because the dumbasss miscalculated. He needs to get the "clear" - HGH or whatever makes him snort like a bull and not get caught.

26. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Fine, then he made a stupid mistake, this is his first offseason, he's only 22 years old.

I'll cut the dude some slack, provided he never tests positive again.

27. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I just find it odd that he'd get supposedly caught using a steriod that is easy to pick up. And that he's been tested I believe like 15 other times and they came up negative.

Something is really odd about this. There is definetly more to it.

I still think its the weasel shanarat dispensing a steriod here and there to who might give the donks a hard time this year. Dirty, cheating, scumbag, ashwipe donks.

• Like Like x 1
  28. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yeah I would cut him some slack as well but in the mean time the asss reaming continues :icon_mrgreen:

29. boltsnow

boltsnow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +56
    The only reason I have doubt about alot of this is because it is well documented how much this guy spends in the weight room & busting his asss. I always thought it would be the guy who is borderline that needs that edge....that is where I am gullable!

Does anyone know if they test during the offseason also?

30. mapcap55

mapcap55 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +66
    Ususally all of this goes on behind closed doors...

Consider this... we would not be talking about this but for someone leaking it to ESPN. Anyone else wondering how many guys have been notified like Merriman has, Appealed and had their suspension overturned before it ever got the chance to see the light of day?

Furthermore...does the fact that this positive test has been announced publicly make it more difficult for Merriman to avoid a suspension than if it was all still confidential?

• Like Like x 1