1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If the Chargers do not draft a RB in the 1st 2 rounds

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by DenverBolt67, Apr 14, 2010.

?

If the Chargers don't get a RB in the 1st 2 rounds, what will you think?

Poll closed Apr 18, 2010.
  1. They can probably get a good one in the 3rd

26 vote(s)
    65.0%
  2. They truly don't have a commitment to running the ball

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  3. None worth taking we available

4 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. We are going to suck!!!!

1 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What will you think?

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I will be confused and frustrated by the arrogance of AJ Smith's decision.

I think AJ has a tendency to out think the room and go by his own little agenda, like last year. Even if Larry English does pan out, we'd be in a lot better position right now if he'd just taken Beanie Wells or Michael Oher like everyone thought he would.

3. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    I'll be hella pissed

4. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    It really comes down to who is there. They actually could wind up using the 3rd and 4th rounder to get rb's.

But I'd guess they'll use one of the 1st two picks for a rb. They may even use both two early picks to get rb's. I wouldn't be surprised if they traded sproles for an early 2nd or 1st rounder and used those early picks for rb's and a d-fensive player. Alot could happen.

You have to look at what the needs are. Front d-7 player is probably one. Rb is definelty one. But you also have to see who's there when we pick. If the kid is all world you get him. All world players make your team better.

5. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    That would be moronic. Our defense has major issues that need to be resolved, and not resolved by mid round players who will take 2-3 years to develope

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I agree it would be overkill, but if Sproles is going to be traded it could easily happen.

28: Best
    40: Tate
    And a pick we get for Sproles could turn into Cam Thomas or Torrell Troup.

7. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Sproles being traded or not shouldn't make a difference. There is no justification to ignore the defense when we could get one RB early, and another in the mid rounds. 2 in the 1st 2 rounds would be stupid.

We have other defensive needs than just NT. We need another CB, ILB, and FS as well as a upgrade at DE

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    CB is hardly a need. This isn't like the 08' draft when we only had 2 CB's on the roster, we've already signed two vets.

ILB is upgradeable, but I see a lot of mid round picks like Chaney, Butler, Angerer, Dillard, and even Brandon Spikes could fall.

FS Weddle is our FS and he's solid.

DE is also upgradable, but I'm not nearly as concerned about Vaughn Martin as some people around here.

A second RB in 2nd round is no more crazy than taking a DE or a CB that has no chance of touching the field this year.:yes: RB by committee is the new fad bud, the Panthers have 2 1st round RB's on their roster.

9. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    IMO would be fine. I personaly think this years draft class wont see more than 2 who last longer than 7 seasons starting.

I think this RB class is alot like 04s QB class. Alot of talent and high calibur potential, but I cant see one guy who is a lock to go 8+ seasons. Course half of them can easily end up repeat pro bowlers.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I actually meant SS, not FS.

We do need another CB, maybe not a 1st or 2nd rounder, but a CB is needed. The vets we got are nothing special, and to expect them to be much better than Gregory, which isn't that hard, is a little unrealistic

I am not concerned with Martin either, I just think he will be a guy who takes another year or 2 to become a viable starter, and by that time the Bolts will realize that Castillo is a waste of money.

And Cooper sucks, so ILB isn't only upgradeable, it is a NEED.

All of those positions could be a higher priority than a 2nd RB to run behind a line that doesn't open holes.

11. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    How many players are a lock to go 8+ seasons? :icon_shrug:
    They're all 1 hit away from retirement.:yes:

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    We don't have to fill EVERY SINGLE HOLE, NEED, or UPGRADE in one draft.

If this whole thing were up to me I'd do everything I could to fill the gaping holes at NT and RB this year for the sake of winning now. They are the kind of holes that can be exposed in the post season, as we found out the hard way against the Jets.

And next year with our slew of draft picks trade up to get the next Patrick Willis, Champ Bailey, Ed Reed, or amazing OT.

13. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Don;t get me wrong, NT and RB are our biggest needs. I am just saying we have other large needs and spending our first 2 picks on RB's would be stupid.

14. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    We can survive without a NT more than without a RB

15. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Trading Sproles for a high second or a 1st would be the only way I see us drafting 2 RBs very high in the draft... even then we probably wouldn't. IMO draft day will have a lot of trades and the charger's might participate in one this year. I agree, Front-7 defense and RB are the biggest needs, yet another need I see is safety. If Mays falls to us at 28, I wouldn't be surprised if AJ pulled the trigger. I wouldn't be mad, I'd just be wrong thinking we wouldve drafted a RB or NT. A lot of it will depend on who's available when we pick though

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Totally disagree. NT is the biggest need and has been a big need for the last year or 2. without a good NT, the 3-4 is pointless.

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I wouldn't be surprised if both Sproles and Merriman are traded on draft day, I think it is actually likely to happen

18. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Personally, I'd keep Merriman for another year to see what he's got left. Sproles is expendable, especially with that big paycheck.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I would also, but I don;'t think it will happen. I would personally keep Merriman and dump Phillips. But it won't happen

20. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Used to love the Shauwnes. Neither has really done much to help me beleive in them being OUR guys much anymore. with Phillips more so with the recen Post season BS. So we need to get a OLB if 56 is 86ed. ILB will have to hold on like the S spot had to wait for Weddle.

21. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Yep, this is a possibility.

I agree. We also need help on the front d-7. BUt it might be a linebacker they get with one of the early picks. And get the d-lineman and another rb a bit later.

Alot could happen. Especailly if there is a trade.

22. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    In the position we're in at the moment it wouldn't make much sense, but like I said if Sproles is traded it could definitly happen.

23. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    I'd be happy with Tate if we pass on Mathews. He's the only other "NFL starter" so to speak..

24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Best before Tate.

And after Norv drooled over CJ Spiller I can see Best interesting him a lot.

25. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Best will be gone before 40 fo sho. The only thing is, if we draft a RB at 40, who do we get at 28 thats fills a need and has 1st round value?..... Cody? no thanks. Package 28 and Sproles to grab Dan Williams or Earl Thomas? Yes please

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'd take Best at 28, then take Cody at 40...or if necessary move up a few spots to land Cody. Or vice versa. :lol:

Earl Thomas is a FS, we already have very solid one in Weddle.

27. szarmes

szarmes I am the Walrus

Ratings:
    +37
    Lol so many options. Only 7 days until we find out what AJ is planning

28. SDDon

SDDon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    And if Merriman had not been able to play as well as he did, would our defense been as bad as it was in 2008.

Hindsight, it is great thing. Most Charger Fans just assumed during draft time last year that Merriman would be back, but AJ couldn't take that chance, that is what a GM does.

That is why a RB is important but like the OP is sugesting a Tate or Hardesty in the 3rd and a Deji Karim in the 7th might be all we need.

Also we have lost one starter, so useing last year as example to AJ's way of thinking we might grab a CB with one of our first 2 picks, Cason should get the first shot but he is unproven and AJ doesn't take risks with his roster.

Another thing we know about AJ is he is always thinking a year or two ahead, so ILB, OT, a Sproles replacement even if he stays could be in the works this year.

On lesser teams rookies can play, make mistakes while they learn on the job, but with Elite Teams you just don't do that. Rivers waited, so did Cason, Ellison had to earn his playing time, look a all the guys who have worked there way up this roster.

Look at other teams like the Steelers and the Pats. They do the same thing. It is the winners way.

29. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Damn I'm glad the draft is only 1 week away.

Fix the defense, AJ. That's your 1st priority.

Plenty of RB's who offer very similar skill sets will be available in the 3rd ... and later.

IMO, it's pretty debatable that any of this year's crop deserves a 1st round grade - even Spiller. It isn't necessarily a knock on these guys, but rather the value of the position today.

We'll see soon enough but I continue to maintain my stance that our 1st 2 picks can easily & should be spent on defense.

Not that Scout is the end all be all of sports analysis by any means, but this article repeats some of what I've been saying since the end of the season ...

Chargers Turn to Draft to Replace L.T.
    By Michael Lombardo
    Publisher, SDBoltReport.com
    Posted Apr 14, 2010

The NFL Universe is counting the days till the draft, where the most pressing question coming out of San Diego is, "How will the Bolts replace great LaDainian Tomlinson?" The draft is still about a week away but the answer is already in -- they won't.

There is no dismissing the impact LaDainian Tomlinson had on the San Diego Chargers. CEO Dean Spanos made that clear when he green-lighted the decision to cut ties with L.T. in February.

"When [L.T.] came here in 2001, we were a struggling franchise," Spanos said. "It's clear that we are where we are today because of him. He truly has been the heart and soul of our team all these years, and just done an outstanding job and helped turn this franchise around into a winning franchise."

Fortunately for A.J. Smith, he does not face the daunting task of drafting another L.T. There is no pressure to find a do-it-all back who can score 31 TDs in a single season; or catch 100 balls and average more than 100 yards per game in the same campaign; or compile a passer rating of 146.9.

The truth is, the 2009 Chargers won 11 consecutive games in spite of L.T., not because of him.

Since joining the New York Jets, L.T has complained that opportunities were taken away from him last year. Yet he was given 223 carries in 2009 despite averaging just 3.3 ypc -- no other halfback with a ypc of 3.3 or lower received more than 131 attempts.

Bottom line: The Chargers stuck with their struggling running back more than any other team in the league was willing to do.

Also, late in his career Tomlinson wasn't the team leader many made him out to be. He had frequent disagreements with Norv Turner about his role in the offense and was not afraid to voice his disapproval to his peers in the locker room, with Antonio Gates serving as his go-to option.

This is not to disparage Tomlinson, who did more good on the field and in the community than any player ever to don the blue and gold. Rather, it paints a more realistic picture of the void A.J. Smith needs to fill in the NFL Draft.

The Chargers don't need a runner who can average over 5.2 ypc, as Tomlinson did twice during his Chargers tenure. If these Bolts can win 13 games while averaging 3.3 ypc, as they did last season, they will feel like world-beaters if a rookie can come in and average even 4 yards per attempt.

Also, a rookie does not need to come in and replace a leadership void in the locker room or the huddle. Philip Rivers is the leader of this offense and this team; it's been that way since 2007 and figures to stay that way for years to come.

So, how do the Chargers get by without their game-changing running back? The same way they did it last season.

As for replacing the '09 version of L.T., that's not too steep a task for a team with the No. 28 and No. 40 overall picks in the draft. The Chargers figure to grab two running backs in the first four rounds, and if those two players can embrace Norv Turner's philosophy and average anything over 3.3 ypc, the Chargers will be running in the right direction.

Still not sold on the idea of 2 RB's in the first 4 rounds, but I DO believe that we can improve our rushing game considerably w/o spending high-value picks. Build a defense that can get off the field on 3rd down & not give up 5+ yds. on 1st down - please.

30. coachmarkos

coachmarkos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +47
    It's pretty simple, if we don't pick one in the top 2 picks, AJ doesn't think there's anyone worthy of being selected there.

Deji Karim, Blount, etc... should be availible in the third.

I'm not sure of anything, except I can't wait to read the board, if he passes on rb's in both rounds. :)