1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If the Chargers want to beat the Steelers

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    1.) If the Chargers want to beat the Steelers, and I believe they can, Marty Schottenheimer is going to have the take the handcuffs off of offensive coordinator Cam Cameron and quarterback Philip Rivers.

San Diego ran the ball on five of nine third downs against the Ravens in a loss last week. That's unacceptable. Plus, on one key drive, started at their own 40, Schottenheimer ran the ball three straight times. And Rivers was playing pretty good football in the first half against the outstanding Ravens defense ... on the road, no less.

Even with a dominant running game, highlighted by one of the game's elite backs in LaDainian Tomlinson, you can not be successful against great defenses by being one dimensional.

In a game where you figure both the Steelers and Chargers defenses will neutralize the run, Rivers has to throw on some early downs to be unpredictable. Keenan McCardell, who was shut out last week, needs to be involved. And the coaches need to draw up more pass plays built for the best tight end in football, Antonio Gates, who has been relegated to bystander status this season. I am not saying air the ball out, but at least throw some receiver screens or slants to Gates on running downs.

If Gates and McCardell are involved, and consequently Tomlinson is given room to run, San Diego will win at home.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/6032854

2. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    as long as we dont fall behind by 2 scores early (last year), we'll be aight. i think sd should be motivated enough after last week to come out strong. another key is locking down on miller. last week i thought heap and wilcox would be the x factor, and i think its the same this week. yo bolts fans, i really wouldnt worry, i would just chill with a beer, and enjoy the azz kickin on the steelers sunday.

3. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Why do you keep throwing fuel on the fire dude?

MARTY SUCKS!!!
    [​IMG]

4. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    i just want to be given that which i desire

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    I want to see play calling similar to the Titans game. Use the Steelers speed on defense against them with some screen passes to LT, and quick slants. Gates NEEDS to be a factor in this game.

Defensively, stop the run 1st. It should be easier since the Bus is gone. If we can get up on the Steelers early, then we make the Steelers abandon the run, and we unleash the dogs to go after Rothlislhamburger. We as the 12th man need to be louder than ever when Pitt is on offense. The crowd energy alone can help will the Bolts to victory.

6. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    Please Marty and Cam throw the ball to your Pro Bowl TE.
    It will be much appreciated.

This year Gates is not looking like a Pro Bowler but just like an Average Joe.

We need to stop the Steelers on their First down plays and have them throw the ball.

12th man be loud and proud out there please.:tup:

7. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    This will be a important game. Both teams have a must win situation.
    Defense against the run will be the No.1 choice, so both QBs should
    have enough throws and a high completing rate.
    The chargers will be hot to play against the SBchamps and to forget the homeloss last year. Screen passes and different receivers will be necessary. Even Lorenzo Neal got a reception in Baltimore an did it
    very well. Not too much is to be laid on Rivers shoulders but enough to make some big plays. The no huddle offence workes well in Baltimore so why not have a quick lead. Hopefully the Steelers will
    stumble when they are forced to go into the air. Jammer will have his next interception. A chargers win will be my birthday present on
    monday morning.