1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If the Chargers were to move....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltz_from_Oz, Jan 17, 2015.

1. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    would you still support them?

I ask this because the concept of professional teams moving towns at the drop of a hat is not something I am used to here in Australia. It happens very rarely, and is highly unlikely to happen with any team I support.

So I'm curious as to what emotions may tug at you.

The obvious assumption is that they move up the road to LA. But what if.....

gasp...shock...horror....Oakland move to San Antonio....and 2 years later the Chargers move to Oakland.:eek:

Stranger things have happened. Baltimore Colts move under the cover of darkness to Indianapolis, Cleveland Browns move to Baltimore and become the Ravens....only for the Browns to reform again in Cleveland a few years later....and play against the old Cleveland Browns in their own division.:confused:

2. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    I used to say unequivocally no, but my opinion has changed bit. If I feel like they did everything they could and San Diego just flat wouldn't work with them, I might understand and be less hardline. People will play the "why should the city pay for a stadium for billionaires" card, and philosophically they are probably right. But realistically, if San Diego doesn't want to build a stadium there are plenty of places who will. After all, the NFL is the biggest sport in the country and there are only 32 teams to go around. If San Diego doesn't care about keeping the Chargers enough, then I have a hard time blaming the team if they go to a place where they are enthusiastically welcomed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    It depends on whether or not they remain the "Chargers".

I'll be a Chargers fan regardless, but if they change their nickname it'd feel like a new team anyway and I'd consider my options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Saint Louis might have some interest in the Bolts down the road.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    As long as they remain the Chargers I wouldn't mind so much. I'd be upset if they changed the team name, especially as I have a tattoo of the Bolt logo lol.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
  7. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    I just wish that something official can happen so I can know whether I'm going to be rooting for the San Diego Chargers, (other city) Chargers, or some other team if they change their name while moving.

Until something happens I'll forever and always root for the Chargers, I just hate it when things are up in the air.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Bruce Daniel

Bruce Daniel BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +242
    Charger fan since 1981, have never set foot in San diego a day in my life. I can't imagine rooting for another team, I'll follow wherever they go. It would be weird if they moved and changed the name tho, but I would stick.

9. ChargerMike

ChargerMike BoltBruthaFromAnuthMutha

Ratings:
    +481
    I've always vowed to my friends and family that when they win a Championship, I will get my first and only Tat on my arm of our beloved logo........if they move to Smell-A and get it there......not so sure......:unsure:
    Love to rep, and I love my team., ......but it's gotta be in Diego......born and raised......I'm a proud native......

10. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    If they move
    It will save me $
    No more season tickets

• Like Like x 1
  11. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    If they keep the name and history id be a casual fan. Im not sure i be as fanatic about them as i am now.

12. VenomSyndrome

VenomSyndrome Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    I'd just move with them if it was out of state. I love north county, but getting real tire of wacky lefty California politics. If the move to LA I would have to hate them on principle, and hope they change the name. Why doesn't the Spanos just sell the team to some Facebook billionaire that can build their own stadium and with pay to win for a change.

13. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    You want Mark Zuckerberg to buy the team?

14. Boltz_from_Oz

Boltz_from_Oz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +143
    Makes sense. They'll be easier to follow on facebook when they move.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    I'm worried they'd make dramatic changes to the team every other month.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Andres M188

Andres M188 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    Don't want them to move at all but it be interesting if Oklahoma City gets them and they end up having the Chargers/Thunder as their pro teams. I just wouldn't want them to move to LA because traffic there needs to get sorted out. It's always horrible. Here's hoping the city puts in money for an iconic stadium that becomes a landmark for hosting future Super Bowls.

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm from Tijuana, not San Diego, so I donĀ“t automatically hate LA (cheered for the Lakers for 2 decades).

Two things to consider

1) I watch them on the local CBS broadcast (Sunday ticket is quite expensive here) so if they were to move to LA I assume they would still be the "local" team,
    2) If there are players, like Rivers for whom I still cheered then it would be easier to follow them to another city.

Assuming those two things I would remain a fan but it would not feel as great watching them win a superbowl in LA

18. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If this gets left up to the lame arsed government Of the Great City, Of San Diego. Might as well kiss their arse goodbye.

19. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    Just tell the (younger) chicks that you're a huge Harry Potter fan!

20. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    still be fan? If they leave San Diego they can eat sh!t and die as far as I am concerned. As both an organization and a team- THEY WOULD BE DEAD TO ME.

• Like Like x 1
  21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    So, you're leaning slightly towards "no"....? ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  22. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Sherlock ;)

23. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,737
    It has to actually happen before I make a comment on this issue...

• Like Like x 1
  24. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I'll still follow the Bolts wherever they play. Since my home town would no longer have a team I might decide to follow a different club as a favorite or I might just stick with the Bolts.

25. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I hope the Chargers do move and the sooner the better, get the fawk out of a dead end city. Always has been and always will be, they ain't even second fiddle in the State.

26. The Lightning Will

The Lightning Will BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +64
    No.

27. VenomSyndrome

VenomSyndrome Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +15
    What if they moved to LA and called themselves the SoCal Chargers or something like it? At least they would not have LA in their name.

28. The Lightning Will

The Lightning Will BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +64
    No.
    But, if they move to L.A. and call themselves the San Diego Chargers, I'll root for them.
    The Jets and Giants call themselves New York, but use a stadium in New Jersey. So we could do something similar.

29. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    San Diego Chargers of LA!

30. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    As long as they are still the Chargers, they will be my Chargers. I do 100% believe that they have already done everything that can reasonably be expected and if they do go, it is on the voters or politicians on San Diego that are the reason they left. By the way, I was a voter prior to July 2010 when I move away, and am going to be again when I move back this coming June. So why i never voted for any of the known obstructionists, we all hold some responsibility for the people we have representing us in the past and present.