1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If we make the Playoffs...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TheBeast, Dec 21, 2008.

1. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Do you think he'll win the MVP? This would be awesome. If he reaches 35 tds and 4000 yards I think it's with in reach.

:tup:

2. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Before I would have though Kurt Warner had the inside track, but he's struggled a lot as of late.

It will be hard to beat out the Peyton Manning lovers.

3. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I think Peyton will get it, even if the Chargers make the playoffs he'll get overlooked because when it comes down to it the media would rather give it to Peyton.

4. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I think PR could get it, but only if we run the table and bring home the Lombardi. Otherwise, he doesn't have the support of enough influential people. I love PR, but I just don't see it happening, especially b/c of the key turnovers he's had in critical moments. Those will count against him more than the W/L record.

Right now, I'd say it'd be Peyton or maybe even Michael Turner [<3 him! so proud!] as a dark horse... Who deserves it? Honestly, I think Polumanu, Haynesworth, Ware - these are three defensive players who are totally underrated in MVP chatter. I mean, Ware has 20 sacks! Polumanu is a game changer, that fingertip catch in the Bolts game was nothing short of amazing. Haynesworth, well I put him and Jamal on the same level - they are incredible at what they do and for the Titans the combo of he and VandenBosch is tough to beat.

It's so easy to give it to an offensive player b/c they get to shine a little more - especially a QB, RB or WR - essentially they get the most "glory" in the media so they are top of mind.

5. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49

i was thinking along the same lines. just checked a list of all the league mvps since 1957. luckily i dont work mondays. it seems that a league mvp has made the probowl every year since then. even a kicker in '82.

as a team, san diego would be the second team in the modern era to win a division at 8-8.

the browns won the afc central in 1985 with an 8-8 record; and the saints ('90), jets ('91), lions ('99), cowboys ('99), vikings ('04), and rams ('04) made the wild cards with 8-8 records. too bad cleveland lost to miami in the divisionals (under marty..)

i may have to edit this bbl

6. pure-sol

pure-sol Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +255
    Sadly, defensive players don't win MVP, other than the greats like Alan Page and Lawrence Taylor. It's almost always RB's or QB's since they score the points.

If there was justice in the world, Rivers would win the MVP. He's had a season nothing short of phenomenal, turnovers notwithstanding. Unfortunately, we're in a fairly small market and the media takes a huge disliking to Rivers. I guess the media has forgotten what it's like to play with passion and fire.

I will say this though, it was refreshing to hear Boomer Esiason say that the possible (now true) outcome of the Chargers playing the Broncos for the division in the last game of the season would be "poetic justice". Absolutely true, but it was surprising hearing him say it. :tup: