1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If we win Fri- should rivers plays vs Skins last game?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by 14fouts, Dec 21, 2009.

1. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    If we win on xmas we will clinch #2 seed and last game vs Skins really wont mean anything. Now I know norv will prolly sit everyone who is banged up, but the one guy we cant afford to lose is our leader Rivers. I think he should play a couple series at the most to stay sharp and then sit the rest of game to avoid risk of injury. Thoughts?

2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Start him and let him play a few drives/1st quarter like it's a preseason game.

3. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    He's healthy. THe redskins aren't playing for anything. I say give him the start... It will help his mvp chances and he will get a free game to work out any last kinks in the offense. We don't want a repeat of NE 2006. We need to stay hot and we still have a bye week.

4. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    I think he should definitely start. If it's more than a 2 TD game at halftime, than I say rest him and put in Volek. I definitely think we need to try to win the game. Mentally, it will be a big boost for the team knowing they're on an 11 game winning streak heading into the playoffs.

Of course, this is all assuming a victory in Tennessee and I don't think I want to assume that yet.

5. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I agree. Play it by ear but he should definitely start - anyone who is healthy should - anyone who could use some rest should get some more breaks in lieu of back-ups or just not play (i.e.merriman, his foot will only improve with rest and a boot).

Feel the same way about Indy (since it's been the topic du jour, rest starters or go for 19-0).

but especially THIS ^^^^^^

Christmas in Tennessee is far from a guaranteed win, we can do it, but if so it's going to be another close one IMO.

6. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,411
    I'll worry about this question on Dec 26th.

7. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Fixed.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    No

bench him, LT, Jackson, Merriman, Phillips, and anyone else who's injured and/or needs rest

assuming we make it past the titans

9. BoltWash

BoltWash BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    I think Rivers should sit the whole game. Redskins have a vicious D and I dont want Haynesworth or Orakpo lighting him up :tdown: Just have some real good practices and the timing will still be there. Id rather go into the playoffs cold than broken. Our bye week was so early in the season this year, all the guys need the rest. I say we just forfeit the game lol.

10. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    No, very meaningless game after we beat the titans on friday

11. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    I say start him and then bring Volek in later in the game. If their performance last night is anything to go by, The Redskins may not pose many problems anyway.

12. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    FU.CK NO

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    If we beat the Titans I'd like to see Volek and LOTS of Whitehurst. We need to boost his value, only way to do this is put him in a real game and hope to F he is worth a damn.

Right now a former 3rd round pick is worth F all. :tdown:

14. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    What about craig "buster" davis a 1st rd pick prolly the biggest the bust weve ever drafted besides ryan leaf and jacob hester a 3rd rd pick whos never gonna be anything worthy of a 3rd pick. Picks like that just kill ya and Ive seen whitehurst play in preseason- hes horrible and that wasnt even against nfl 1st stringers- we will never get anything worth anything for him. Another wasted high pick

15. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    WHEN we win on Friday, I'd say let Rivers play the first drive. LT should get a few touches and then the load should go to Sproles and Tolbert. We could beat the Redskins with Volek and resting Rivers will not hurt the team.

16. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I agree with most, play him and most starters only the first half, more that giving Philip some rest I want Volek to take some snaps and not be cold if he's needed in the playoffs

17. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    :icon_toast::icon_party::abq2::tup::abq1: :icon_banana:

18. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'd like to remind everyone how a lot of fans where upset when Marty played Brees in a meaningless season finale... :icon_shrug:

19. RipTheJacker

Ratings:
    +152
    The redskins arent great or anything, but they do have a VERY good pass rush, and brian Orakpo is a beast. Last thing i would want to see is Rivers get hit by this guy in a meaningless game a week before the playoffs. Carter is pretty good as well.

20. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    Yes, he should play the first half at least. And if they do get the 2nd seed find the best team that didn't make the playoffs and setup a scrimmage game during the bye week.

21. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Carter is injured (though still playing) and the Redskins on the whole seem to be shutting down. The local media is in a fury after last night's debacle and Haynesworth popped off in a post-gamer, justifiably so I might add based on what I see, hear and read daily from various media outlets here in DC.

But with that said, I don't like frontline starters playing any more than necessary in garbage time...too much risk. Prefer we beat the Titans and remove all worry.