1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If you were the commissioner what would you do?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by sdbound, Feb 16, 2008.

1. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    As the commissioner your number one priority is the financial success of the NFL and all 32 teams. The integrity of the league is at stake. How would you handle the Patriots cheating scandal? Obviously your handling of the September cover up failed miserably.

Now the situation is about to explode.

Your actions have to appear strong enough to stop congress’s investigation because that would be PR nightmare and would in all likelihood cost you your job and the NFL a fortune. Would you negotiate with Specter to resolve this without it getting more public? Knowing that Specter loves the camera, could you offer a deal to Comcast to get Specter to go along? No matter what you do the NFL is going to lose big money. You have got to stop the damage.

Would you go forward with Walsh’s taping information or some other damaging information and ban Belichick and hope that the story would die down? Would you punish Kraft? Can you do the right thing and survive? Maybe that's your only hope.

What would you do?

2. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I think you let things play out. The damage was already done. I think you roll with the punches, and as more evidence comes about, he "reopens" the investigation, and reissues a punishment that includes the suspension of bill belichick.

The NBA got away with the referee scandal, this is just a roadbump in the grand scheme of things.

3. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I know that people are going to flame me like no ones business.

Here it goes if I were the Commish.

I would first cooperate with congress I would pay them any amount of money they would want to talk about something else. This is for punishment for the NFL. I would then tell he team this time it is the cheatriots to pay the amount that Congress wants and have the damage control be started from there.

As well if there is any more cheating from any other team take away draft picks and as well and give them to like if it were the Denver broncos then take away there first round pick and put the Chargers, Chiefs and Raiders names in a hat and pick a name out of a hat and which team was selected they get the draft pick that was taken from the Broncos and the cash that the Broncos would have gotten for the rookie salary cap pool and give it to the hat drawn winner for their salary cap.

I would tell owners that if the team that was caught cheating that I would do a marshal law kind of thing and say until further notice there is always is going to be a CBA for all teams for at least 10 years. this is so and investigation can go through the intensive investigation on the cheating team as well. I would as well tell that teams owner that cheated to fire and permanently ban like Pete Rose the Head Coach from ever being able to Coach in the NFL. A well take way a minimum of 6 MIL in Salary Cap if that team won a Super bowl because of the cheating and reward the loosing team of the Super Bowl the Title. The 6 MIL would distributed to the other teams in that division like the Cheatriots to these teams the Bills, Dolphins and Jets because they are in their division that is 2 MIL a piece.

This is as well if the team is caught twice then for the year after for the Draft they forfiet all Draft picks that year and they go to instead of the Division they out side the division and into the other conference all together. I would do the hat thing as above hat all over again like if the Giants got got cheating twice that the Draft picks would be distributed through the AFC. The Giants then have to go through the Free Agency route to build their team. I would then though take away 12 MIL Minimum from the Giants from their Salary Cap and again distribute it to the AFC teams. 6 AFC teams would get 2 MIL extra for that year as compensation for the draft picks they would get from the hat things as well.

My final thing that I would do is this if any team after that would be caught cheating then they would be given less in Salary cap money of at least 1 MIL for a minimum of 5 years for punishment for cheating. I would not then take Draft picks but take money instead.

I know that is harsh but cheating is in my opinion is not tolerated if I were Commish.

So that is what I would do.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Ban Bill Bellichek from the NFL for life
    Take away the Lombardi Trophy from the NE Patriots from the 2002 Super Bowl and give it to the Rams
    Strip them of their first round draft pick this year (their ACTUAL first rounder)
    Fine them heavily both as a team and on the cap

and the reason I'm so hard on is simple; i can't state the importance in keeping the NFL honest from this type of cheating. Much like the NBA and Baseball in cases of gambling and cheating, the moment the fans think, rightly or wrongly, that the game is rigged, the game becomes no better then professional wrestling.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    One thing would not be doing is trying to intimidate Walsh with an ex-feeb. The political dictum, proven time and time again to be true, is that the cover up is worse than the original misdeed. Goodell is utterly powerless to do anything to circumvent, delay or derail this investigation, since the Senators now have a grand stand play to make in an election cycle and Specter has a constituency of rabid fans- with a number of GOP Congressional seats in Pennsylvania that are more in play than in any year since 1994. Goodell will only make things worse by putting a torte loaded gun to Walsh's head. The best he can hope for is that this plays out and the league doesn't face legislation over it's behavior and once the facts are out, he avails himself of the opportunity to take more appropriate action.

That being said, the thought that he could sweep this under the rug, as wide spread as this actually is, was naive at best, and arrogant and cynical at worst. An appropriate public condemnation with punishment fitting the offense at the outset would have ended this post haste. Even before that, a strongly worded warning and fines with a further fine and suspension to be stayed on the event of no further violations might have nipped this in the bud. Right now, Goodell is trying to rescue the Kobeyashi Maru.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402

Id allow a team in Vegas :icon_twisted:

As for the scandel, i would let it play out and if found guilty, i would do whatever steps it takes to wipe out the cheating. Things like less cap money, less draft picks for teams caught cheating.
    I dont know if i would ban Billichick or not, but i may suspend him for a year at least.
    I dont know if Kraft has any knowledge of this since he is one to leave the football operations to the GM and HC so fining him im not sure is right. I would need some evidence that he knew and if he did, a big fine would be coming to him.

They already took the Patriots first round pick from them this year so do you take the one they have from San Francisco? I think you take another pick from them but id have to think about if it is another this year or their first for 2009.

7. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    Deal with Walsh in one form or another.

8. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
  9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Give Walsh full indemnity against any and all information he has on the pats he obtained that was in conflict with the NDA he signed with the Pats. No strings attached.

Have any and all information provided by Walsh be presented in a joint discovery with the NFL & Specter.

Based on what is revealed he would then have to act.

If the information shows an unfair advantage that impacted the outcomes of games, like the STL SB, strip NE of the title.

As to the other SBs, we have not heard/rumor of any direct evidence to regarding the Carolina and Phily SBs.

If it is as bad as people are assuming:
    BB should be suspended for a year min, if not banned.

Kraft to pay 100 mill fine minimum, anything less would be chump change to a billionaire.

Depending on when things are resolved.

Loss all picks in the next draft, this would include any that were obtained via trade like the high pick they have from SF this year.

Banned from participating in the FA market and only allow them to talk to their own FAs.

All other employees knowingly involved should be sanctioned as well, including players.

10. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    There is no mechanism in the NFL for stripping titles like there is in the NCAA. It would seem to me to be covered under the same theory as no joy on proven bad calls for penalties after a game is decided. There are no provisions for restricting activity in the FA market. It's not like forfeiting scholarships in college ball. They have fines, suspensions and forfeited draft choices. It is possible, but only remotely, that the league could put the team in receivership, but that is about as draconian a move as can be contemplated and would probably be a pyrrhic victory. I just thought of something. Can the Vegas books sue?

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Well, now that have a case that could set a precedent for such an action.

I read recently that there was talk about a privision in the CBA for limiting the top 4 playoff teams in the FA market. Can't remember it was a proposal or was in effect.

I wouldn't be surprise if the Vegas books were talking about their own resolutions in the back rooms. Depends on how much $$$ they feel had impacted their bottom lines.

12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'd do just what Goodell is doing (except I wouldn't have destroyed the evidence.)

I would continue the investigation further and decide the punishment afterwords. I would start with stripping them of both their #1 drafts picks this season.
    As for Belichick, I would leave the decision up to Fox but let him know that with or without Belichick, there will be security watching every move on the Patsies side on the field and in the boxes.
    Fox is to pay the NFL to hire the security and if ANYBODY is seen doing something they shouldn't do on the Patsies side, he will be stripped of ALL draft picks in 2009.

13. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    The CBA in this case would deal with parity, not punishment. We would be affected based on this season's results as well. The NFL could establish new rules regarding this situation, but retroactivity would not be on the table.

14. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I'd fold the Patriots franchise and make Bob Kraft start an expansion team in LA. :yes:
    And he'd have to hire Kevin Gilbride as the HC. :icon_rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Theres no way that wil happen. You cant take away ALL their picks and not let them sign FA's.

Maybe take away all their rounds 1,2 &3 picks and let them have the lower round picks and take their first rounder in 2009.

16. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    I agree. Something this big needs to be handled in a big way.

Take away the franchise and let other potential owners/cities bid on the new team. Ban all the people involved. Total disgrace is what this franchise deserves if the allegations are true.

17. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    I would ban football in Massachusetts; I would also not allow the NFL channel to broadcast in that state. All pat fans and employees are at fault. They have tarnished a game that up to now only had to deal with minor stuff, like shootings, domestic violence, and dog fighting, but cheating is unforgivable; they have tarnished the game forever. Every Pat fan needs to own up to this despicable behavior. Their collective souls will rot in hell.

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    On second thought... I'd call all the Charger Girls to my office!!! :bolt: