1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

If you're a Merriman crotch-sniffer..

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thread_Killer, Oct 27, 2006.

1. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    ..like I am, then you will love this article from the UT:

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20061027/news_lz1s27playing.html

Shawne Merriman, who knows he's being called a cheater and a liar, says he's using the appeal process to try to protect his reputation.

October 27, 2006

Shawne Merriman acknowledged he used to jump to conclusions when news surfaced that a professional athlete was being accused of taking a performance-enhancing substance.

Cheaters, he thought to himself.

Now people are saying the same thing about Merriman, and he doesn't like it. After recently testing positive for steroids, he's being called a cheater and a liar, even as he claims the test results are due to him taking a nutritional supplement that, unbeknownst to him at the time, was tainted by the manufacturing company.

Merriman has been told he has a slimmer chance of winning his appeal than I do of being invited to the Spanos estate for Thanksgiving dinner – which is, not at all. But he's fighting the finding because he wants, if nothing else, to prove he never knowingly took an illegal substance. And that the only thing he's guilty of is ignoring the league's – and the team's – constant reminders that supplements are known to be tainted and players who use nonlicensed brands will get neither sympathy nor breaks if they test positive.

“I want people to see that I didn't knowingly do anything wrong,” Merriman says. “I don't want anybody who has come across me to think that I'm a cheater of the game. I don't believe in that. Even in other sports, I was always upset when things came out like that. I looked at them as cheaters of the game, and I'm being viewed in the same light now.”

The toughest fight for Merriman might still be ahead of him. He knows some people will always look at him as a cheater. But others are reserving judgment until he serves his suspension and returns to the field. They want to see if he still will play at the level that earned him a trip to the Pro Bowl and the league's Rookie Defensive Player of the Year award last season.

“If he isn't as good, people are going to say it's because he's off the juice,” a player from another team said, echoing the sentiment of a half-dozen other players who spoke on the condition their names not be used. “He has to be just as dominant, otherwise the stain of testing positive will never come off.”

Merriman chuckles at the idea of increased pressure.

“That's definitely not one of the things I'm worried about, that I won't do enough,” he said. “I've been playing this way my entire life, so that's definitely not going to be a problem. Honestly, I've dealt with things a lot worse and overcome things a lot worse. That really doesn't bother me. From Day 1, my concern was that I didn't want to be a distraction to the team.”

Merriman, who'll play the next two weeks while awaiting his hearing, is so conscious of not hurting the team further that he acknowledged he might drop his appeal if a ruling isn't announced before the Nov. 12 game at Cincinnati. The reason: If the judgment goes against him, he would have to begin his four-game suspension by Nov. 12 to be eligible to play the last of the Chargers' two games against the division-leading Broncos.

“To be honest, I'm going to do whatever's best for the team,” he said. “At the same time I can't let people think these bad things about me. I've got to show people I've done nothing wrong, knowingly. My teammates have been very supportive, telling me to do what I need to do. But I will always do what's best for the team.”

Merriman's presence is critical to the team achieving its ultimate goal of winning a championship. He led the club in sacks last season and ranks second this year with 5 1/2. He may not be worried about a slippage in future play, but a lot of fans and players on other clubs are curious to see how he'll perform.

I can't even imagine how pissed and pumped up Merriman is going to be against St. Louis on Sunday.

PS. Jamal Williams was on 1090 this morning, he sounds pissed too. I exptect a MONSTER game from our 'D even without Phillips and Olshansky.

Put your money on the Bolts to cover the ten-point spread. You read it here first. :yes:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    A unique entry to say the least... :lol:

3. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    So, what does Merriman's crotch smell like, TK? :lol:

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    i'm betting they're more pissed for getting whooped in KC then for merriman's sake

5. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    :tup:

mmmm Hmmm. They're pretty steamed at giving up 100 yards rushing to a back for the first team this season.

6. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    It's called a bunker mentality. This team is in full bunker "us against the world" mentality, and I expect them to take it out on the Rams.

7. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    Could Merriman miss the second donks game if the appeal drags out ?

http://community.foxsports.com/blogs/NFL_Czar

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680

:icon_mrgreen:

9. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Kinda smells like your girlfriend's, only different.

:icon_smile:

10. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    We are de-evolving :unsure: .... :icon_party:

11. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    Man, if you got the original trumpet playing cave man to post this, this must be a lowbrow thread. :no:

12. RayDahayder

RayDahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +23
    I'm not going to jump the gun and judge Merriman on this. I think he's a good kid and I hope this is exactly what he says it is.

The fact that he's so concerned about his reputation is a good indicator. He'll serve the four games, because the NFL Gods are always right. But, it would be nice if he could be vindicated somehow. Just for his own sake.

I'd rather believe the good in people.... let's hope he's what he appears to be.... the good guy, not the cheater.