1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

IGOR SPEAKS

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Aug 16, 2007.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070815-9999-1s15chargers.html

He's tough as he is strong

Muscular defensive end Olshansky has history of shrugging off injuries

By Kevin Acee
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

August 15, 2007

[​IMG]

K.C. ALFRED / Union-Tribune
    Igor Olshansky, obviously a demon at pumping iron, aspires to be an ironman on the football field, too.
    The knee is fine. This problem with his groin will be a memory soon, and he will be able to get on with the breakout season that was supposed to have commenced last year.
    He does, after all, have superhuman strength. Just ask him.

Igor Olshansky was chiseled by a cartoonist's imagination. He can lift his 305 pounds to a pull-up bar 20 times. He does six reps of 465 pounds in the bench press.

And, most important to the Chargers, he seems to heal extraordinarily quickly and with an uncanny resurgence.

“There is nothing I can't overcome,” Olshansky said.

The thing about the gargantuan Ukrainian is that he says such a thing without it sounding like boasting, while at the same time leaving no question he is not joking either.

“Oh, he's dead serious,” said Luis Castillo, Olshansky's bookend on the defensive line. “Dead serious.”

Olshansky has some feats to give credence to his claims.

He tore his left MCL on the third play of the Chargers' season opener at Oakland last year. He was back three weeks later to line up against Baltimore's Jonathan Ogden, perhaps the league's best left tackle.

Attempting to compensate somewhat, Olshansky tore the meniscus in the knee two weeks later at San Francisco and had surgery that week. The prognosis was a month on the sideline. He started 18 days later against Cleveland and did not miss another game.

In 2005, he partially tore two tendons in his ankle. He missed one game.

“What I've shown about myself that you don't see in a lot of people – because of what kind of shape I'm in – is the ability to come back from injury and play at a high level,” Olshansky said. “A lot of guys who have knee problems and come back – their performance goes (down).

“Because of the shape I'm in and because of the way my body is, I'm so strong, because my game is such a power game, I'm able to have a more consistent output as opposed to a guy who is a speed guy and then he gets injured and he is no longer a speed guy per se. And he's not really a power guy, so his performance drops. Whereas me, I can always be stronger than the guy in front of me.”

Even superhumanly strong guys need a little help sometimes. Olshansky is wearing a knee brace, which he says will stay on for practices and games as long as he needs it.

“I don't want my knee getting worse,” he said. “If it stays like this, no problem, I'll play another seven or eight years. But you don't want it getting worse.”

Fast healer or not, Olshansky does not deny the effect injury has had on his past two seasons.

It was last year at this time that General Manager A.J. Smith said he believed 2006 was going to be Olshansky's coming out, that he could sense by the way Olshansky was working that he was ready to be held in the same regard as other stars on the Chargers' defense. Smith's belief in Olshansky still holds.

Olshansky, certainly not one afraid to share his thoughts, was also anticipating a big '06. Asked if he had the same feelings about '07, he said quickly, “Even moreso.”

Last year was tough, he acknowledged.

“But I'll tell you what,” he said, “it made me so much mentally stronger.”

Superhuman mental strength.

.....CLICK ON LINKY FOR MORE

2. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    :icon_eek: You said "prophylactic" :lol:

Hell, I would wear one as well if I knew it protected me but players are stubborn. Some refuse to wear cups because ... well ... just because. :lol:

3. MtlBoltsFan

MtlBoltsFan Jesse Ventura/Howard Stern 2016

Ratings:
    +383
    Trade Igor

4. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Yes. :yes:

If you ain't cheating, you ain't trying.

• Like Like x 1
  5. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    He is badass and I hope he punches another cheap donko this season.

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    That policy has been in effect for several seasons now...quite awhile, actually.

7. mef31

mef31 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Yea I was a student trainer at Va Tech before i switched majors and all the offensive linemen wore them. They we're custom fabricated for each player so they weren't too uncomfortable and allowed maneuverability.

8. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    :yes: :tup: :bolt:

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Absolutely not. Not in this testing regime. HGH is one of the prime substances being tested for. Besides Olshansky is not just a behemoth, he's an intelligent behemoth. I doubt he would anything even remotely that stupid.

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    Jim Rome said that a player (don't remember who or even what sport) didn't wear one because "there was too much junk down there" :icon_eek:

11. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +684
    I thought that they still did not have a reliable test for HGH and the test the do have is a blood test? :icon_shrug:

12. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Any player that suffers a "groin injury" without being tackled likely wasn't wearing a cup and was just nutbuttered by another player. :yes:

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    What KWAK said.

They do not test nor is their a fool proof test available. Some are touting a foolproof method but the Players association has not approved blood testing for HGH. That is the last frontier which has not been violated .... yet.

14. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I sure hope he wears the brace when we play the Donks and the Faiders.

Reppin the Ukraine!:abq1:

15. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    ahahaha thats like gridiron gang! "hes not wearin his cup, cuz cups... are for P*SSIES!!"

16. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    lmao, sooo many people do that before a play at practice, its hilarious

17. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    When i played baseball I couldn't stand wearing a cup. Too much of a hassle to tha junk.

18. TheLash

Ratings:
    +715
    I did medieval armored combat for 20 years. Trust me, when you get hit in the balls with a 3 foot piece of rattan it hurts even with a cup. I skipped wearing it once and never again.:icon_eek:

• Like Like x 1
  19. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Woah! Take the respect I already had for you and quintriple it! That is frakin cool.

20. Igor's Revenge

Igor's Revenge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    You're a dead duck fancy boy Canuck. :icon_evil:

21. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    The same thing happens when you get hit with a LaCrosse stick.

It hurts like hades even with a cup. I would not ever be caught with out a cup on. No Sir. :icon_eek: OUCH.

22. bigmike.x.09

Ratings:
    +280
    try gettin hit with a football helmet, or someones shoulder pads, thats gotta hurt

23. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    If you don't know who Shamrock is I will jump off a cliff.

24. MtlBoltsFan

Ratings:
    +383
    Is the thing in your avatar a dude?

25. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

STFU!!! :icon_twisted:

My boy is the strongest player in the NFL and the flag bearer for Russian jews everywhere.

:abq2: :abq1: :abq2:

26. TheLash

Ratings:
    +715
    You need to get a life Powder:lol:

27. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Unless its a mink glove, does it make any difference what you get hit in the balls with? i've never found the experience particularly enjoyable no matter what the offending ojbect was.