1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

ILB Concerns???

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by wrbanwal, Aug 20, 2007.

1. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    From SDUT

Seems like we may be a little thin there

Who steps up in his place????

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
  3. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    I am concerned in that he has not played...ILB is not like RB...This boy needs all the game reps he can get...

Agree we're thin!

4. IgorUnchained

IgorUnchained BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10

I was a fan of Donnie (I know, I know), but was pretty sure that the ILBs on the roster could be effective.....that was before Siler, Waters, and Rivera were around.

Cooper blew my mind on Sunday....that was a very un-Godfrey-ish performance at that position. Wilhelm ISNT going to be ready, and despite Rivera's earlier praise, Im not convinced he is the long time answer. He DOES have the experience and the skill set to do well, but I havent ever seen it (like I have multiple times with Cooper now).
    I like Dobbins more than most folks, and I think that he would be ok to start the season if it came to that.
    SOMEONE is going to have to step up...to near Pro Bowl standards....to not miss Donnie in the middle. Ankle biting is going to prove to be harder than it looked.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Cooper is the ****. Quick twitch muscles galore just like Shaun Phillips. Not many Chargers fans prop Cooper. :tup:

6. Prito James

Prito James BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    Yeah, Whilhelm really needed this preseason. Cooper's gotten much more playing time and one preseason game is not enough time for Whilhelm. If we were facing the Raiders on opening day, no worries, but the Bears are a good team and then the Patriots. We need to be ready for these games.

7. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    It definitely gets the mind going, and when I read the thread title I thought about Luis Castillo last year. Different injury, but the total uncertainty of the week to week prognosis was stressful.

I am a believer in Matt. He's ready to step up and have a great year, especially with what we have playing in front of him. I agree, however, he needs reps.

I am more worried about the injury itself than I am whether or not he can handle the job.

• Like Like x 1
  8. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    I would say if Wilhelm can't go for the season opener, then Dobbins would be good in his place.

Dobbins made some nice plays versus the Rams.

• Like Like x 1
  9. sickswonnyne

sickswonnyne Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +79
    The quality of players and the number of players are fine with me, but the inexperience bothers me. With Wilhelm missing valuable playing time in the preseason, along with my boy Waters (who gets slack because he's coming off a serious injury and it was known he might not be able to contribute right away), we are thin with game ready ILB's. Cooper is the least of my worries, it's whoever is gonna play next to him. Dobbins? Kinda inexperience, but a Godfrey-type player. Siler? Waaay too green, and not much in coverage. Polk might be needed back in the inside.

I liked Donnie too. He isn't irreplaceable, but he helped more than he hurt us. His coverage ability is what a good ILB's should be. I wanted to keep Godfrey at the very least, to show the others how to do it right, and to fill-in when needed. He wanted to return, but he wasn't in the future plans, which I understand. I just hope everyone can get themselves ready for the opener, Benson awaits us.

10. knowsthebolt

knowsthebolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    My boy Tim Dobbins. Like any good parent I don't want him to get to full of himself, so I've instructed him to work on his drops in coverage and work on his read and react. That being said my guy is a friggin' missile and in 2 seasons, he and Waters will be are starters.

I think Wilhelm will be fine as long as the injury doesn't linger. He can still get some work in the 4th preseason game, he'll need it. But the guy has flashed when given a chance.

11. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Any of our backup ILBs will be fine as long as the D-line stays healthy. You only need to look at Pittsburgh, Baltimore, NE, etc. to see that it's the DLinemen who determine the LBs success. All of these Defenses lose quality linebackers... and they consistently wind up near the top in total defense.

I'm not worried about our ILBs. It's our secondary that will scare me until I see vast improvement.

12. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    Yeah boy, Waters/ Dobbins for 2009!!! :flag:

13. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Well, they better start or I will smite them. My boy is a beast. He was all over the field on Saturday night. Cooper will knock the snot out of people.

14. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25
    IMO, Cooper is going to be an upgrade over Godfrey, but I am a little worried about Wilhelm. He has some talent, but he is replacing a very effective coverage ILB.

Depth wise, we need the young guys to step up more than they have.

• Like Like x 1
  15. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Don't worry about Wilhelm. He'll be fine. Donnie may have been good in zone coverage, but Matt will be an upgrade in every other area over Donna.

16. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Donnie Edwards was very durable, and knew how to play through pain. I don't think you can say that Wilhelm is an upgrade in that area.

17. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Why? Because he hasn't played in the preseason? Donna was notorious for developing preseason "injuries" so that he didn't have to practice, much less play. Don't you remember the cut on Donna's leg that kept him out a whole preseason?

You're reaching for ways to defend Prima Donna Edwards.

Donna's old. Willhelm is young. Donna puts herself ahead of the team. Willhelm is a team player. Donna is an ankle tackler. Willhelm will mix it up with ballcarriers.

If Donna was so essential to this team's success, how come no Chargers have come out publicly and lamented the loss?

18. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    And you are searching for ways to slam the guy. All I am addressing is the durability issue. Donnie Edwards has missed TWO GAMES in his entire career. I'd say that is durable as hell, and I disagree with your notion that Wilhelm will be an upgrade over Donnie in that area.

• Like Like x 1
  19. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    When did I ever say that Willhelm would be more durable than Edwards? You tried to use a preseason injury to say that Willhelm was less durable than Donnie. My point is that the preseason doesn't mean ****. Donna missed plenty of preseason games. Keep track of your own arguments.

20. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    You said Wilhelm will be an upgrade in EVERY AREA accept pass coverage. I say that Wilhelm will NOT be an upgrade in durability.

Keep track of YOUR agruments.

21. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Donnie kinda didn't play through pain in the pre-season though.

I get the feeling with Wilhelm that if this were the regular season he'd be playing. They just don't want to take any chances in meaningless games.

22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I hope Wilhelm makes it cos right now he appears to be the only ILB capable of some coverage ala Donnie. While Dobbins might be a great inside backer, he will be the traditional run stuffing kill the tight end type. This is the position we want Cooper to fill and he is doing a great job so far. I'm not sure Waters is a more athletic Dobbins is he?..

We might be thin when it comes to 'coverage' backers.

23. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Waters is an absolute beast when healthy.

24. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    Hope you're right, Thunder. But I don't think it is meaningless for a young player who could use the reps as a first-time starter.

We'll see. I remain hopeful that Matt will be able to minimize the downgrade at that ILB spot. :tup:

25. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    The reps are important but the outcome of the game is meaningless. I would love to see Eric in there getting the reps, but you have to weigh getting the reps with the possibility of suffering a setback in recovery that slows the player for an extended period of time.

Norv said in his presser yesterday that the target "has always been" for Eric to play in the final pre-season game. Don't know if that's 100% true or not, but it tells me they viewed Eric's injury as one that would need 2-3 weeks of recovery time before they started pushing it again.

Beyond that, I trust the Chargers' medical staff. Those guys are a first-rate unit.

26. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :icon_huh:

27. sickswonnyne

Ratings:
    +79
    Parker? Weddle? Or is Wilhelm really Kaiser Eric Matthew Wilhelm III?

Yeah I'm confused too.

28. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Seriously I'm going insane.

Was talking about Parker with a friend of mine while I was typing that.

29. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Wilhelm is not a rookie, and he is probably spending time prepping for Chicago and the Pats in the time he's not in team meetings and the like. One game of exhibish prep should have him ready to play. If he isn't, Dobbins is a guy who initially reminds me of Mike Singletary. When he's played he looked like a wrecking ball. Patience is required with Wilhelm. A calf injury is as susceptible to severe aggravation as a groin problem. Push it too fast and you can lose half the season. Even if you don't grossly aggravate it, you still seriously risk tendonititis unless it's healed. It has nothing to do with pain tolerance (well maybe some because the strain placed on the calf all the time) and everything to do with base strength and quickness. The initial burst comes off the ankle and the calf and every move after that begins with one or the other. Nobody has said whether the injury is to the gastrocnemius or the Soleus. The Soleus would take longer to heal. Playing through pain is for bruises and minor strains, head aches and broken noses or maybe even broken fingers or greenstick forearm injuries. You can even play with other broken facial bones if you can stand the pain. Calves, groins and backs are a different kind of problem all together. Brakes of Naval Air-Air breaks.