1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Illegal Formation not Called on LT!!

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by When Lightning Strikes, Dec 20, 2009.

1. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    They just showed the play where Philip spikes the ball and LT comes out too late and lines up outside the numbers!!

Refs didnt call it!!

That would have moved us back 10 yards and they would have ran 10 seconds off the clock cuz we were out of Time outs!!

We were owed that non call though!!

Thoughts??....

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    So that's ONE non call against us BUT the Bengals got allmost a dozen calls either in their favor or non calls in their favors.

3. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    This. :tup:

4. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    Yep.

One non call.

Not to mention the 3 holding and 2 block in the backs. Two PI one holding penalty on third down potential conversion. Chop block that wasn't calledl. one very close delay of game.

One bad spot.

At least one offensive pass interference with a push off. I could go on by why. The fact that that they don't even discuss these and on a couple failed to show a replay is evidence enough.

O yea the hit to the head 15 yard penalty potential to be throw out of the game that wasn't called.

5. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    We had bad luck on that drive when one of our lineman went down and they ran ten secs off cuz we had no timeouts so too bad. :abq2:

6. PB Bolt

PB Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +138
    I'm FINE with it.

For NBC's wrap up, LT outside the numbers was the only thing Dungy and those idiots brought up.

7. When Lightning Strikes

When Lightning Strikes Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +68
    Oh yea, im perfectly happy with it!!!

Thats what I was trying to get across is its about time something when our way in that game!!

we had to play two teams that game

The Bungals and The Refs!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Didn't call holding on the Bengals defense of Gates.

Didn't call a facemask penalty on the Bengals defense when Jammer intercepted the ball.

Refs miss calls all the time. Doesn't mean the Bengals win, just go to OT most likely.

9. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    Yet another one.

10. NW Bolt Babe

NW Bolt Babe RIP Jr.

Ratings:
    +94
    Whatta non-issue. It wasn't like they had to cover LT either since it was clear we were going to spike the ball.

Oh well...pick, pick, pick.

11. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    The refs were certainly not using their flags today. I saw two facemask non calls...one on Jammer and one on VJ that were easy to see. Plus the punch one of them threw...Good to see at least one non call went our way!

12. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I don't care what the rules say, we wern't running a real play.

13. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    the refs were relating their zebra stripes to the ones on the bengals helmets. nearly every frigging call went against the bolts today.

14. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    And we still won! :tup:

15. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    When they used thrir flags, they picked them up! :yes:

16. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    It happens and it probably wouldn't have affected the game had it been called correctly.
    Sucks for the Bengals but that is the game.

17. cool arrow

cool arrow BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Yeah, like the facemask against QJam after his INT. How obvious was that. :icon_shrug:

18. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I didn't see nothing! :lol:

19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
  20. Bolt-tastic voyage

Bolt-tastic voyage BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Every yard Benson got after that punch to the head pissed me off cuz I knew he shoulda been ejected for that. I mean hell, we've had guys ejected for punching when they didn't even punch. And Dungy seemed like DOUCHE when he brought up that non call. He is obviously still bitter about us knocking them off on a regular basis.

21. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    And the people who didn't watch the game but saw those highlights probably think we needed a gift from the refs to win this game, when in fact there were plenty of non-calls against us that were a lot more egregious than that non-call.

22. SDChargers1982

SDChargers1982 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    I was watching trought the internet, and I miss this play of the punch...anyone get the video of this play?

23. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm not sure what rule is broken. Can't a player line up as a wide out when it looks like the offense will spike the ball?

24. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Penalties called or non calls are part of the game, always have been, always will be. It's a game played and officiated by humans, mistakes will be made. Time to move on, next up please.

25. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    I saw that too. Cracked me up.

First, in ANY game there are non-calls. So why are they so hell-bent on picking this one call out of this particular game? The story here is the Chargers' incredible run despite massive injuries AND the clinching of the AFC West. So-the-fack-what if there was a procedural non-call? Really? Lining up is worthy of review at that point? The game is OVER. The better team won because they outplayed the lesser team. Not "out-lined-up" the other team. OutPLAYED... as in, "while the plays where happening the Charger players PLAYED better than the Bengals players PLAYED." So, why go out of your way to point out a non-issue? Hacks.

Second, the number missed calls on the Chargers side were bloody ridiculous. So, Gates getting mugged so badly that his pads come out of his jersey on a third down isn't important enough to mention? The ball was comming to him for Christ-sake. No... I'm sure a procedural call that might have decided a playoff-implicated game is FAR more in the spirit of the game than a receiver getting sexually molested directly infront of an official. Good choice guys!

26. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    If Y'all really want to call Dungy out, just take a close look at the ball to VJ in the end zone. VJack would have caught that ball if not for having his helmet pulled down in front of his eye's.

I don't have the game saved and if I could I post it here. I know what I seen and the defender had a hand full of face mask. No ref, no call, Dungy, of all people should know that and not call out the officials for a missed call.

27. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    LT did not come out too late. Sproles was supposed to stay in but he twisted his ankle and hobbled off the field at the last second. As for illegal formation, I've never heard of such a call for a player lining up outside the numbers. I thought illegal formation only pertained to having seven players lined up on the line of scrimmage. Do you have a link you can provide that supports your contention that lining up outside the numbers is a penalty? Because I've never heard of it.

28. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    You're right. He should know better but a loss like that must be a terrifically bitter pill to swallow, especially when your team played a good overall game. Still...

29. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Whatever about the calls or missed calls, tell u what, I've been on LT as much as anyone. Yes he is not the same guy etc running the ball but u know wot;

HE SURE HASN'T FORGOTTEN HOW TO PASS BLOCK.

I tip my hat to u LT, u aswell as anybody on that O line helped keep Philip upright last nite. Love ya man.

:tup:

30. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    First, you don't get time run off the clock for a penalty. Just injuries.

Also an illegal formation is 5 yrds not 10.

Now as to the call, hey NBC :icon_finger:.