1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm over it....Let's talk about next year..

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Jan 18, 2010.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I used to let these losses just sit in my stomach for weeks....but I'm done with that....I also don't buy the whole "our window is closing" crap. We have a QB who will be in his prime for at least 5 more years. As long as he is upright, no window is closing here.

A couple of positives:

We get Jamal and Bingham back next year to help beef up our run D (one of our primary weaknesses).

We understand our identity perfectly now as opposed to the last couple of years. We butter our bread with our passing attack....Vertical game and above the rim is where we get it done.

Offseason changes:

Gone:

LT- Sad to say goodbye. Doesn't fit the system anymore and not the type of back who can move the chains without holes anymore. Need younger back with fresh legs....someone like Shonn Greene who we saw with the Jets would work nicely...Also another veteran compliment would be good too. Maybe Fargas from Oakland.

Merriman- Will want DeMarcus Ware money. Someone will probably pay it in hopes he returns to dominance...Won't get his coin here. Time to say goodbye and hope Jyles Tucker and Larry English step it up.

Sproles- Would love to keep him...Not sure if I see us franchising him again...I could see some team idiotically overpaying him like a starting back. If so, move on.

Cromartie- Not sure how much longer we put up with the NFL's softest big mouthed CB. He is starter quality...but is another guy who will want big money.

MUST re-sign.

Vincent Jackson- Just get it done. He and Rivers have beautiful chemistry
    Marcus McNeill- I've never been a huge fan, but LT's don't grow on trees. I like the way our line is jelling now.
    Malcolm Floyd- I think we need to keep the "above the rim" crew together.

Draft. We have two real needs:
    1. Either a physical running back who can move chains....or an absolute speed burner who can hit the holes and gash teams for huge yardage.
    2. An OLB or DE who can get to the QB.

Bottom line- This team is already built as a perennial contender even with some turnover of big name players. We will be back next year stronger than ever.

2. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    The offense needs to either become a spread unit that gives more space for our running backs, or it needs to committ to running the football thirty times a game and doing more to pound the opposing defense. Right now we try to have a power running game while never committing to actually running the ball. Dielman and Hardwick are both living off of their reputations from the 06 and 07 season, and both of them can be improved upon. Vasquez was average, and our tackles are below average run blockers and above average pass blockers.

Improvements can be made if the Chargers want to run the ball better, but I don't know if they really do. The Jets ran the ball nearly forty times, and tehy didn't have their big run until the game was almost over. We haven't shown that level of committment to the running game at all this year, and it's as big of a reason as any as to why our rushing totals are so low. Same problem that the Colts have had for years now with Manning at QB.

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    If we had made 2 of those 3 FGs, I guarantee the Jets would have been passing the ball much more at the end of the game....They wouldn't have had the luxury to keep running. That's where we would have forced the rookie QB into some mistakes IMO.

4. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Merriman will be a RFA, so we can get something good back in return for him, so I am all for moving him for a pick...but Phillips scares me. He, Cro, and Cooper are a trifecta of boneheads, and at least one needs to go...if not two. But I know that the D cannot survive without both Merriman and Phillips gone unless we pull off another move. Cooper was solid yesterday, and has earned a spot.

Cro and Merriman should give a nice draft pick return to rebuild some trouble areas. We DO need a RB, as any sense of a running game would have freed up our passing game yesterday.

5. HighBoltageMD

HighBoltageMD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    If we had made 2 of those 3 FGs we would have won that game.

What we need is kicker that doesn't choke in PO games

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    We need a run game.
    We need a better D.
    We need the team that played in the regular season to show up in the postseason.

7. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    But he didn't. He is still the most accurate kicker in the NFL....do you want to fire him? Rivers didn't show up yesterday either. Do you also want to get rid of him?

I suspect the problems with the Chargers are organizational....there is a whole lot of talent there, but your players get arrested; they are caught in love nests with opportunistic women; they run their mouths to the press, and they don't show up when they really need to show up. That's ownership, management, coaching, and player leadership laxness....all need to be looked at closely...IMHO. Winning teams don't tolerate what the Chargers organization tolerates. It's tough enough for young men to go into one of the "hottest" cities in the world and maintain a focus, but it gets even more difficult when the organization doesn't do much to demand the team to focus...they have played great regular season football, but that's only the prelude to the big dance. The Chargers have yet to learn all the steps necessary to do the big dance successfully.

8. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Yea Kaeding should be let go. Hes not clutch- this isnt the first time either he gets paid a lot of money to do won thing and 2 short kicks that he made everytime in regular season he missed and now the Chargers are sitting at home. Rivers played well enough to win what game were u watching. How many passes did gates drop and the one int by reavis was not his fault at all it was just a fluke. He threw one bad pass the whole game which I think coulda been miscommunication

9. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

[​IMG]

10. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Age or sperm count?

11. HighBoltageMD

HighBoltageMD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    What the hell do mean "Rivers didn't show up yesterday either"?? He did his job against the #1 defense in the NFL. He got the ball close enough for a FG THREE time. But ZERO points were put up!

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    If Kaeding had made what were normally routine field goals, we would not be having this discussion. We need to keep Sproles and draft some fat boys. Jamal needs to be replaced soon, probably not next season but someone better be on the roster who step into his place soon. Jackson and Floyd must be kept. I doubt that Cro and Merriman are going to command huge bucks-unless they're from Uncle Al. We do need a running back, but the pickings seem slimmer than normal this year. Buster is history.

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    [​IMG]

14. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Close enough for a field goal....therein lies the rub.

Rivers threw 45 passes yesterday, and he got them close enough for a field goal....not once but three times. You don't see the irony in that statement, do you?

15. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    [​IMG]

16. HighBoltageMD

HighBoltageMD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    The irony is irrelevant... Nate did not do his job when we needed him the most. He choked!!

17. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    I know football schemes and strategy enough to know that we would likely lose the game with the plan that we utilized, but I do not fault Rivers, at all. Norv called multiple plays that called for short routes, which could be opened up by one of two actions:

1. Taking regular shots down the field
    2. Establishing the running game

We were unable to do either, and the Jets spammed the short passing game with their coverage as a result, causing Rivers to have very few options. I do not believe Norv should be calling the plays and running the team, for doing both has his hands full.

That said, I will agree that there are organizational deficiencies that must be corrected, ones that we can allocate to specific characters in the locker room. However, the Patriots are also headed in the wrong direction, replacing character guys with people like Moss, Adelius Thomas, and others who push the Patriot mold.

Your team is struggling to reclaim its identity as well, Buck.

18. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    I really hope Merriman is here next year. He may not have produced a ton of sacks this year(or even that many at all) but he plays hard and I've heard he's a leader for the D. He didn't have a big statistical year, but I really like him and think he'll be a good LB for us for a long time.

Cro needs to be shown the door. Immature punk who believes his own hype, but can't tackle at all. Still can't believe how he and Hart were pointing at each other I think against the Raiders.

VJ needs to stay. I think with all the off the field problems his contract is going to take a hit. But if he can grow the **** up I welcome him on this team.

19. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Where did this come from? I have been the first to criticize what happened over this past season to the Patriots...they sucked against the Ravens, and their locker room leadership disappeared when Belichick decided to get rid of all his pro bowl defensive players.

If you really want to pursue that line of logic, your team continues to maintain the identity it has had for decades.

20. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    One, everyone drops one once in awhile. And that's negated by that sexy catch on the screen that he made. Are you really going to try and fault Gates for the game? He was one of the very few bright spots.

21. HighBoltageMD

HighBoltageMD BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +9
    I agree... it a shame we don't have any say in though.

And I don't think 14fout is blaming Gates for the lose.

22. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    It came from the criticisms of the organization, but I apologize, as I was not aware of what you had bolded. We are alike, then, as we are both aware of organizational deficiencies that must be corrected...although this team's identity is different than even a decade ago.

I am too used to arguing with randoms around here who believe the Patriots can do no wrong--you guys had the mojo going, but lost it. Sadly, the Chargers have been searching for it for the past five years, and although we appear to be getting closer, we thought that we had the winning formula this year.

We were incorrect.

23. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    I've been watching the Chargers search for it from the time they beat the Patriots in 1964 for the AFL title.

You have had the winning formula this year and many years prior to this year, it has just never come to fruition during the playoffs. That's organizational.

24. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    First off, the whole team deserves a smack for the crap they pulled last night. That disgrace was an aggregate effort. You can't really blame it one person. Even if KAading had made those FGs, who knows how the game would have turned out. Besides, the Bolts should never been in a position where a FG would win them the game. The D did great in the first half, but apparently they tired themselves out, because they didn't show up the second half. The offense just never showed up at all.
    Second, beack to the actual topic of this thread.
    LT: Man I love ya, but you do have to go. All those injuries from previous seasons are hitting you hard. But please don't go to another team. End your career as a Bolt!
    VJ and Floyd: Definate keeps. But Mr. Jackson needs to get his s**t together both on and off the field. If I was Turner, I would have benched him for kicking that challenge flag, I don't care how good he is. Turner nees to kepp their egos in check.
    Cromartie: Yes, he can be beastly sometimes (I'll never forget that he holds the record for longest play ever in the NFL) but his ego is outta control, so he's outta here.
    Merriman: Keep him one more year. Unless you can get a really good draft pick for him.
    Sproles: Needs to stay. But for him to get better we need a good RB position coach. He's a solid back up. Nothing start worthy though.

For the Draft: Our first priority should be a RB. If we get a good one it'll do all sorts of things for our offense. Not only will it give us a run game, but a succesful one that will help our passing game by building up the play action. If we can switch bewteen the 3 smoothly, then well have the best and most well rounded offense the Bolts have seen in years.

Afer that we need a hell lot of stuff. A strong NT and of course a variety of DBs, Pretty much every position on our D could use some help and depth. It'll be interesting to see how the team prioritizes.

25. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Exactly, Nate didn't do his job, which he has done very easily in the regular season in his career, but not in the postseason for some reason.

Every coach in the league is going to remember him choking every time he kicks against them from now on.

26. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Draft Jonathan Dwyer and all will be well.

I don't want another player that takes about 5 years to develop.

27. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Formula is never talent alone--personality is a big, big component of the formula. Yesterday, on a 10-point scale, we were a negative-49 in terms of personality, and that is something that needs to change.

In 94, it seemed as if confidence was lacking; although I was only 8 years old, I can still remember them not believing that they could pull off the upset. Now, it appears that games are taken for granted, and this causes key players to not give their fullest effort on the biggest stage.

Every single Jet played like their window was shut next year. I wish the Bolts did the same.

28. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Can't argue with that.

29. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Buck is right, except for the bold part. Rivers can only take what's given to him.

The Bolt's have always been considered the little sleepy team from the seaside town. I for one am tired of watching the player's make bonehead play's and causing stupid infractions. I say bench the fool ( Jackson, Phillips ) and let them fall in the depth chart until they get it.

I'm sure ownership and management (AJ) think alike, tough as nail's. If I were Norv, I would have pulled V-Jack and sat him. Buster, get out there and show us what you can do kid. Same thing with Phillip's, take a seat, English, your up. No explanation given, figure it out bonehead.

That's my only beef with Norv, he is the boss and needs to give these over grown kids a kick in the hind end and straighten them out.

30. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    I guess to topic of the thread isn't important :icon_tease:

anyway, assuming that ther is no CBA next year :

1) sign VJ and McNeil (don't care about VJ's off the field problems, he's a beast)

2) try to keep Sproles but NOT for starter money

3) get something for Merriman (in the form of a tender)

4) let Cromartie go

5) draft (in no particular order) OLB (If Merriman goes), RB, NT, another CB (to backup Cason) and a K to challange Keading