1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

I'm starting to question whether our "priority" is winning a championship in 2009...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    We've got the cap space right now to have signed a couple of reasonable FA's (namely Phillips, Sean Jones, or Dawkins), AND keep LT....and truly make a run at the superbowl this year while we stilll have the team to do it...even at his current salary this is workable....and I would have to assume that a cap friendly re-structure would be accepted by LT as long as it doesn't screw him out of money he's basically already earned....and knowing AJ's track record, you know he's basically doing just that instead of finding a work around / compromise to keep him here as long as he's productive and defer some of his salary where necessary.

I can accept the logic of needing money in 2009 to lock in Rivers and Merriman....but I don't think that's happening right now...and I think a lot of that guaranteed money could be spent int he 2010 uncapped year. I think AJ already knows that Condon and Merriman are going to be a near impossibility to re-sign.

I have to wonder if the Chargers priority right now is the likely imminent move to LA and saving as much money as possible in 2009 to offset some of the cost of the buyout of the Qualcomm lease after 2010....which they will surely do if a miracle doesn't happen in Chula Vista or Qualcomm.

Have we given up on a championship in 2009 and are we just totally focused on our long-term prospects in Los Angeles? If you want to win a championship, at some point you just have to go for it and get the one or two missing pieces....rather than begin to dissmantle a team that isn't getting any younger as a collective group and turn that two missing pieces into 10. How many productive years does Jamal have left? One? If losing LT is bad, wait til you see what happens to this 3/4 defense without big Mal in the middle of it. It may take years to get an adequate replacement up to speed in this defense...and it will cost.

Some of us want a gawddammed championship that we've waited for 30 years for.....and to me, it is within reach with this team that has won the division 4 our of the last 5 years and has advanced to at least the divisional round the last 3. Keep this team intact...hope we stay healthy for once (and we're due)...and we have a better opportunity than most teams. Dumping LT now and not signing any help is the first step to starting over. Instead of adding some defensive help we need in round 1 to put this team over the top, we will be reaching for a RB that won't be able to fill even an injured LT's shoes.

If this happens...and it probably will..., any talk from AJ about "championships" at this point is just BS lip service.

• Like Like x 1
  2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I'm starting to question whether our "priority" is winning a championship in 2009

IMO

LT will be a Charger this year

:icon_toast::icon_toast:

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    I'm starting to question whether our "priority" is winning a championship in 2009

I hope you're right...but I fear some disappointment is coming.

4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654

If we do not land a DE and RT, it does not matter if LT stays or goes.

If Jamal goes down, the season is over.

No other single player can make that claim.

In this life there are reasons & results.

Guess what I want.

• Like Like x 1
  5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930

I justthink this is too heavy in conspiracy theories as opposed to anything else. This free agency period was one of the fastest and most hectic I've ever seen; almost all the big guns were gone in the first weekend. And regarding philips, looks luke he wanted to use us to increase his payday in Tampa. There's nothing to suggest he was short changed here. As far as LT goes there's alot of history Of running backs falling off at thirty. Sure we have some examples of them butting the trend but they're the exception not the rule. No one can deny that LT has had more injury rouble then ever before and at inopportue times. In addition he's clearly not happy with the switch to a More passing team. Combine those two with a large salary and this was bound to come to a head sooner rather than later. I really want LT to stay here and remain a charger and I wonder about how this was handled by aj at times. But that doesn't change that these aren't decisions that a top
    Team makes. As the colts and the bucs about releasing legends. Ask the 49ers too. These are moves you might have to make to make the team better.

• Like Like x 1
  6. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151

If we draft all kickers this year, then I think you may be right.

7. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

I agree Ant,

but if they were going to release him then why the wait. Do it at the end of the season. Get it over with then move on

I think he stays

:tup:

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930

Because they wanted to keep him obviously, but maybe he doesn't wanna stay for whatever reason. And it might be that AJ low balls him

9. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

I don't think he's wanted to stay since the Brees/Rivers war.

but maybe, just maybe, AJ says one more year LT. Then, if we don't seal the deal, AJ admits he screwed up and LT goes to NO

:icon_shrug:

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

AJ's championship talk has BEEN bullshit for awhile. He's stuck in the Buffalo mentality - build a championship caliber team, but not the chemistry that it takes to win one.

We have the talent. We don't have the heart. That's a reflection on the FO more than anywhere. AJ talks a good game about leadership, pride, & class. What he NEEDS to look at is HUNGER.

Our players aren't hungry. When we incorporate that quality into our locker room & project it onto the field, we'll win a championship. Until then, SD will be a great place to live & earn a good living. Nothing more.

11. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

No he's not. He hasn't been the a Super Bowl yet to be at that stage.

12. timepiece33

timepiece33 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +25

I don't believe we have the flexibility to add a lot of 2-3 year contracts with Rivers, Merriman, McNeil, and Sproles eligible for free agency, so I am not ultra critical of AJ for not adding talent through FA.

That said, I don't buy that there is any issue to the cap this year AND if we release Tomlinson based on financial principal as opposed to financial reason ... I will agree with the original poster.

13. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194

It must be that damn San Diego sun!

14. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200

Its all about signing younger good players to 2nd contracts. Thats why they want LT to give up some millions now. Were gonna be swamped with several big 2nd contracts next year. And the chargers are trying to figure out how to keep those players.

As much as no one wants to think of it. But LT is an aging superstar. HE's still good. HOpefully good enough to be able to trade. If we can luck out we can get a good trade of trading LT this year. Its just the way the nfl is now with the rules with the salary cap. Its a hard thing for fans to figure out.

Its happend to all teams in the nfl. All aging superstars with huge contracts until the nfl figures out how to fix this snaffu will be given this ultimatium by their teams.