1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Im starting to wonder....

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by LT-Express, Nov 20, 2011.

1. LT-Express

LT-Express Bolttalk.com Janitor since 06' Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +434
    After watching the first 3 quarters of this game, if completely getting rid of every scrub on this defense is more important that getting beef on the O-Line. The O-Line is a necessity but this secondary is a fukin joke. None of these guys look like they have any idea wtf is going on out there.

They are getting burnt deep by the likes of Johnny Knox and 81 year old Roy Williams. It's so frustrating to watch.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Defense needs an overhaul.

RT is the only necessity on offense.

And maybe a RB who can hold onto the ball.:(

• Like Like x 1
  3. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    Strip the secondary apart all them muthafuckas is garbage yall dont even know how pissed off I am.. Phillip is playing good no turnovers and we still are getting our asses whooped

4. VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!! BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    The secondary has been horrible but the only thing that should not be on this team next year is................... NORV TURNER!

5. Ricky619

Ricky619 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Sick and tired of seeing Cason get picked on in every single game.

6. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    Obviously posted before the 4th quarter...
    Lose 3rd down, lose the game. 70% against is unacceptable.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Bench or Cut Cason, bring in Sharecce Wright and Traye Simmons from the practice squad. At this point might as well see what you have before you go into FA/Draft

8. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Are you kidding? Cason is not a future HOF, but we are still in this race for the division. Start some unknown players, lol, Good thing fans don't make the decisions!

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Cason hasn't made a good play this entire season, he's been an unmitigated disaster and while I'll back the team and hope we can make the playoffs, the odds are shrinking rapidly. I'd rather see what we have and take out the worst player on the defense then keep him in there

10. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    His int was not "a good play"?

11. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    Cason? Really? Weddle was getting burned. Gregory was making tackles..in the end zone. Oliver made a great tackle..before the receiver turned for the ball. Jammer was getting tackles..after the receiver was passed the first down marker. Don't even get me started on Dante Hughes...
    Cason....he had tight coverage all game...sure he didn't look back in time most of the time..but his positioning was good..that's what got the INT. Why he couldn't outrun Mopey to the endzone with 2 blockers in front of him...well, that's a different story.
    Cason is not the issue. The dude has no one else in the secondary making plays and a D Coordinator calling timeouts because he's got the wrong package in. **** rolls downhill. Oh, and FU Norv. (it just seems appropriate)

• Like Like x 1
  12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And RG and TE, both should be found with mid round picks

13. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Thanks for making my case.

14. Ricky619

Ricky619 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    You mean when the receiver slipped?

Dude has given up too many TDs.

15. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Not arguing that. I just think it is a bit over to top to say he has made no good plays this season.

• Like Like x 1
  16. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Jammer's time at CB is over. Cason has regressed, but could possibly be salvaged. No idea what we have in Gilchrist. Weddle is solid, Gregory is overmatched.

But really, what this team needs is an injection of pass rushing talent in the front 7. LaBoy is crap. Barnes is average. Phillips obviously can be a consistent 10 sack guy when healthy. But gotta have a legit OLB who teams have to gameplan around and a versatile ILB who can do more than "be smart". Spikes is old and slow. Maybe Butler can add some pounds and be that guy I'm talking about.

With a pass rush the entire secondary suddenly goes from below average to good.

17. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    once we fire norm all those problems will be solved though.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    That would seem to be the prevailing wind blowing through this over-ripe garbage, eh?

I'm not a Norv apologist but I would challenge any coach to get but so much out of the ragtag group that this illustrious FO has assembled.

• Like Like x 1
  19. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Just wait until Dumervil and Miller go nuts next weekend.

Chargerland will come unglued.

20. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Wonder hell, it's all right there in black and blue. Somebody didn't check the horses teeth before purchasing them for this trip. It's all uphill from here, so it's time to jump down off the wagon and push or the top will never be crossed.

21. paddyirishman

paddyirishman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +60
    Casons decline has been alarming. Last season a good few of us on here (including myself) were singing his praises.
    Jammer is playing like someone, dare I say, washed up and past his best. Gregory and Hughes were a waste of space last night.

22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Our secondary is a joke, I agree. Cason is not this bad, his head must be completely fried at this stage. Jammer looks almost done if not done already. Weddle got paid what the market was paying, he's a decent FS but that is it, he is not the game changing safety that we crave. We don't have a SS imho. Gregory and Oliver are not up to it.

Having said all that it comes back to coaching and player management. We'd been hearing all the time about how this guy Gilchrist looked in camp, he was this he was that. He was thrown in at the deep end and drowned. I read that this guy played lots of safety in college, if he did then why did we draft him thinking he was 2nd round cornerback value?. It's a joke. Maybe the guy is a good/better as FS?, we'll never know now unless Weddle gets hurt. And what of Stuckey?, sometimes I wonder is he the only guy playing special teams. The guy is trying hard, give him a shot on D, or is he another guy being prevented from playing by 'AJ's golden boy' (isn't that what cro called Weddle?).

Bring back Wayne Davis and Elvis Patterson all is forgiven... (I jest).

23. 18gramblingcharlie

18gramblingcharlie Bitter San Diego sports fan

Ratings:
    +3
    Whats alarming is the lack of production from a starting secondary that were such high draft choices. It must point to the guy selecting them. AJ has lost his touch. Yes we have enjoyed success in the past but no one can argue with the steady decline of this franchise. Now with an aging roster, potential career threatening injuries and young, seemingly unproven players, the future doesnt look bright. Also, a taboo subject we have to look at is how many productive years does Rivers have? And if we rebuild, how long would it take and will Philip be around?

24. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The production in the secondary to mee says that the D does not buy into Manusky's system or trust each other to be where they need to be. They put a lot of weight on Sanders and that failed, now they are playing out of position and reacting rather than anticipating and attacking.

Also the D need to stop being patient. Too many times they break down 5 yards away from the play and wait for the ball carrier to get to them to make a tackle.

25. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This is a hesitant, soft defense that never attacks.

Part is scheme. A lot is lack of talent.

Hard to scheme well when the talent is lacking.

26. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    IMO a huge part of the secondary's problems don't even lie with them it starts up front. When a lack of pass rush allows an opposing QB so much time to stand there and then pick his pass out, most times you expect that play will end up being completed. Someone like Cutler has a pretty decent arm, you allow him too much time and he is good enough to pick defenses apart.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    It's going to be GLORIOUS!

28. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    It's the horrible scheme. Manusky is REALLY bad, like really bad. If you watch any film from the Niners last year you'll see their 2ndary was terrible as well. Not sure what he's coaching, but there is NO way all of our DB's just tanked all at once like this.

It's literally impossible. Watch, if/when Greg goes and we get a legit DC all of a sudden these guys won't look so bad anymore

29. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Yep. Picking on Cason is too easy. He was in position all game. Cutler made some great throws and his recievers made some amazing adjustments.

Reminds me of how people used to bitch and moan about Jammer. Like 2005? Ashley Lelie TD in the back right corner of the endzone? Fans raised bloody hell about that TD. It was one of the peaks of the anti-Jammer intifada. They cried and pumped their fists in rage and called for Jammer's head. But Jammer was in perfect position. It was just a fantastic throw and an amazing catch. And Jammer didn't deserve to be benched or traded or released. Neither does Cason.

file this one under #fanrage