1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Immediate Thoughts Chargers @ Broncos

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Oct 9, 2011.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Thoughts immediately following game......

The Offensive Line needs to be altered, specifically the right side of the line. Five sacks by the Denver Broncos. That's inexcusable. Rivers has been hit far far too often this season for his own good. Vasquez and Clary have underperformed since the start. It's time for Polish Power, bring in Mrzucowski and Dombrowski

The Chargers just don't have a killer instinct - I don't know if that's the coach or the players (my theory is its the former) but there's just no desire or focus to put a team away. Against KC and Denver up by a good margin, the Chargers seem more content to let the game just end as opposed to put their foot on their opponent and finish him off.

Big ups to Ryan Mathews; even with near fumble (another one) his toughness, determination and drive are very impressive. Equally big ups to Jacob Hester, if the Chargers start wondering if Hester could be a backup running back as opposed to a fullback, this is the game to do it. And the Chargers do have a fullback in waiting on the PS; Frank Summers.

I do not understand Greg Manusky; he's brought in full of piss and vinegar, talking about how he's going to be aggressive on defense and more times then not all he does is rush 3-4 in crucial situations. Clearly the New England game wasn't sufficient to teach him otherwise. When the Broncos were down with crucial third downs, they'd blitz and be aggressive. This team does not do such.

Adding to that, I do not understand how against such a poor offensive line with one good player (Clady), the Chargers come away with zero sacks. Tackling vs Tebow was atrocious, and even with Orton granted there was one in the grasp that led to an interception but wow, how do you fail that badly? And we have good pass rushers, which is the most baffling part of this.

The team is 4-1 in the break, I am happy for that. Best start under Norv Turner, I'm happy for that. If the Chargers don't improve rapidly though, this will be the happiest part of the season. Playing this way against the Jets, the Packers, the Lions, the Bills, the Ravens and the Raiders twice will lead to losses.

• Like Like x 1
  2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    My immediate thought....well never win a Super Bowl with Norv.

My second, 4-1 is nice, but the bye week won't help. Norv is historically awful after byes, you know, when he has more time to coach.

• Like Like x 1
  3. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Looks like each game will be close. As long as we come out on top I'm happy. Also, I think this year the bye will help with all our dinged up players.

4. Lightning_Dynasty

Lightning_Dynasty Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +310
    Our 13-3 season would like to say hi.

I've been saying it for weeks, and I'll continue to, until I see otherwise:
    This is just another slow start. We'll have our fast finish to the season like we (almost) always do. Yes I remember last season, but I believe that to be the exception of the rule.

I do believe that we will go into the game against Green Bay 6-1.

I do agree with what you posted Ant. I do think that if we hadn't lost Tolbert and Mathews, this game would not have come down to the wire. They're two big keys to our offense, and without them, there was no threat out of the backfield, so the Denver D had it a lot easier.

I don't know what happened with our D. Ignoring those 2 passes at the end of the game, as those were expected when we're playing prevent, Tebow had that one pass that was good. It wasn't his arm that killed us, it was his running.
    It looks like our D does not know how to handle a running QB. So I guess it's a good thing we won't have to deal with one until we play Denver again.

• Like Like x 2
  5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +377
    Well I guess we'll see you next season or whenever Norv leaves than.

"Never" is odd word. People said Saints would never win.....and they did. I'm expecting hardships with this team you shouldn't be surprised with Norv led team by now. It is what it is.

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    this team is in big trouble and River's stinking it up ain't helping none. The defense has me totally confused they're hot and cold at best and have no consistency.

7. tunaman

tunaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +7
    I've never been one to blame it on the coaches. The players have to make it happen on the field.

However, today I'm beginning to doubt the coaching staff. Manusky doesn't seem to have any fire. He should have learned that we can't rush three and expect to win. The NE game proved it. Too many running plays up the middle when the entire world knew it was coming. What happened to play action passes, draws, screens? Very vanilla and very frustrating.

I appreciate the record, but don't feel optimistic for the next three games, even with a bye.

Gatsie....we need you!

• Like Like x 1
  8. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    I don't want to be a downer, especially when we are 4-1, but I just can't help get the feeling that we are actually worse than we have ever been! Thats right worse...and our 4-1 start is just an Anomaly...just like our topping the defensive charts are year ago.

I hope I'm wrong.

9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    I do not understand Greg Manusky; he's brought in full of piss and vinegar, talking about how he's going to be aggressive on defense and more times then not all he does is rush 3-4 in crucial situations. Clearly the New England game wasn't sufficient to teach him otherwise. When the Broncos were down with crucial third downs, they'd blitz and be aggressive. This team does not do such.

I agree with most of what you wrote in this lengthy post, but the "blitz" comment didn't
    ring true for me. I mean, we ALL like the idea of an "aggressive" defense. Hell, 9 times out of 10,
    when a new D-coordinator comes in, he says he's going to bring more pressure than the previous
    guy, and the fans say "About time!" But what happens when you KNOW that your D is giving
    up much worse yardage on the plays you try to blitz? Yes, the New England game DID teach
    Manusky and us a big lesson: Brady was good on ordinary downs, and GREAT when we
    brought more rushers. (I don't have the numbers in front of me, but I guarantee our D is giving up more on downs we rush more) We may not LIKE that that's the reality, but as long as it is, wouldn't
    the D-coordinator look like a moron, repeatedly doing something that gives up more yards?
    Obviously we all want more pressure...but until it's EFFECTIVE pressure, how is it justified?

10. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The negativity is out of hand. We DOMINATED this game for 3 1/2 quarters. The end was frustrating and the red zone offense still needs fixing. But, other than that, I can't find much to be pissed about. The team fought through injuries, a hostile crowd and some big mistakes to come out on top.

BTW, those bitching about Norv, He's the same placaller who called the double move by Floyd before the half that led to the 23-10 lead. That was a genius call when everyone in the building thought we would be playing for the field goal.

Clearly, Rivers had too much pressure on him today. Not everything is perfect, but until the Chargers went into bye mode with about 9 minutes still to play, this was shaping up to be their best game of the season. 200+ yards rushing. 400+ yards offense again. Dominating time of possession. Allowing one pass longer than 10 yards until there were less than 30 seconds left. These things will win you lots of games.

• Like Like x 5
  11. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Red zone offense and untimely penalties/mistakes have been issues this season. There have been some improvements but our boys still have a ways to go. I'm remaining cautiously optimistic.

While I'm not happy with the close game we saw today I am happy with walking away 4-1. I mean ****, PR is having his worst start ever, VJ and M80 are dinged up, Gates is out, Mathews and Tolbert go down leaving Jacob Hester to pick up the slack (and he totally did).

The defense definitely got stinky towards the end of the game but I'm pretty sure the altitude had more to do with it than Tebow.

This bye week comes at a perfect time. Our boys are beat up and need to rest up because the second half of this schedule is straight up brutal.

12. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    love that signature man! He grew up around here like 10 minutes where im from.. JT is gonna be a player man!!

Great post..

13. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I can't see us becoming that 'second half of the season' team again. We are clearly missing Gates massively, Rivers is not the same player without him, the O line is struggling, the D is nowhere near aggressive or strong enough and our coaching is the same ol same ol.

I hope they prove me wrong but I believe when the big boys come to town we're gonna get beaten up.

14. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Last year we were complaining because we could not win a game at the beginning of the season. Now we are complaining because we are winning but the not by a huge score. Guys take the win as it is.

We could very easily be 1 and 4 and then we would be right back where we were last year. Then what would you be complaining about, we aren’t winning.

We are not the Packers, we are not the Saints, we are the San Diego Chargers, quit acting like a bunch of giddy old ladies!!!

• Like Like x 3
  15. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I reckon I can make money out of all this 'misery/pessimism'... i.e. back the Raiders to win the west and Chargers to miss the playoffs, what odds would I get on that?.

16. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    It's funny how just a few years ago, getting a win like the one we witnessed yesterday was considered lucky... What happened?? It seems that some Chargers fans have come to expect a big win, and act like spoiled children when things don't go exactly the way they wanted. Or another scenario might be that the players didn't perform up to these fans personal fantasy league expectations, and they don't want to be embarrassed in their local pools. If that makes me more old school because I am happy for the win, then so be it. I will agree that some things need fixing, but I will leave that to the real coaches and staff to address and work on to correct.

• Like Like x 1
  17. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    I think its because ESPN does not talk about us being an "ELITE" team some take offense to that. Division games are hard just because we see them twice a year.

18. SDRaiderH8er

Ratings:
    +2,072
    Also I think some are just mad at the results, its those gosh darn fantasy league players, its not about wins, its about those stats!

19. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Good post Ant. First thing, Summers was dropped from the practice squad, guess he was having issues staying healthy (and man did I love what that guy healthy could have brought to our rushing offense). Second, Manusky has to grow some balls and bring the house every once in a while. Has anyone even seen a cornerback blitz this year? The one time he blitzed Weddle, they threw a screen over him and scored a touchdown. (TKO did not roll outside to help out the vacated hole left by Weddle) Third, I have no idea why at least Dombo isnt getting his shot at RT. He played so much better than Clary at RT and was a capable backup at LT. He needs to get in the game. And Vazquez needs to hit the weight room cause he is getting thrown around. Finally, all this being said, were 4-1 winning games we would have lost in the last few years. We all remember the Marty days where no lead was safe. Get up by a comfortable marging, then slowly play lax defense, run-run-pass on O, and miraculously, some middle of the road team would score 20 unanswered points in the final 15 minutes and win. It must have happened to us 10 times. And I'm not sure what it is but the team is hanging in there and playing through the final minute and pulling off wins. I think its a sign of character we havent seen around here in a while. If we can just get the gameplans up to snuff we might actually be a dangerous team.

20. Joy Division

Joy Division Slightly-known Member

Ratings:
    +542
    My immediate thought: Norv is either a complete idiot or he's a genius posing as one.
    The only cards he's showing show little value. Is he bluffing or does he really have
    that fuquing ace up his wizard sleeve? A coach getting ready to play against the Chargers
    must be thinking: "What do I prep for? This bastard isn't giving me anything to look at."
    He seems content to appear mediocre. Under the radar? Norv you're fuquing brilliant.
    Or not.

p.s. On a semi-related note, T.T. Boy is who we thought he was. His arm is an abomination.
    That much is obvious. Would love to see Fox announce him as the full-time starter.
    Hey Donkey fans, be careful what you wish for.

21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The Chargers have played well enough to control the clock and win the time of possession battle in most games.

22. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Damian, you're just right. we won against 1- and o- teams and it's hard to believe the Nov/Dec running will come again. The window for the Chargers looks closed. the only thing I'm hoping is that I#m too sceptical. The Jets, KC and Raidurs game can be winable with improvement.. <but Green Bay is far away from comparing>

23. scratchnz

scratchnz BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +91
    Look beyond the win itself and you will see many many flaws in the Chargers that we didn't have a year ago when we were losing the close games! #1 We have less pass rush than we did a year ago #2 Rivers is having the worst start of his career, despite his 3+ years working with supposedly the best Quarterbacks coach around! #3 We are still making stupid simple mistakes (espicially the Oline) and giving away stupid penelties #4 Our redzone offensive is pathetic, even more so than last year! #5 We still can't defend the run #6 Has AJ ensured that the chargers have a adequte depth? You make the call!

24. BlackHoleBoltMan

BlackHoleBoltMan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    Good:
    PR is the real deal, so is RM
    Chargers have some 'nasty' this year that they didn't show the last few seasons

Bad:
    Too many sacks - O line looked porous yesterday
    Red Zone - not enough touchdowns

We're not far off from having a really good team, but we'd still need lots of luck to beat the likes of the Packers

25. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    Sorry, but this seems overly negative and somewhat inaccurate. For example: we are the 3rd least penalized team and you're complaining? I see many more positives then negatives. For example: holy crap, we have a running game! I'm betting our best football lies ahead.

• Like Like x 4
  26. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,733
    I call it how I see it. I always thought that the object of the game was to have at least one more point than your opponent when the clock reads 00:00.

27. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    H8er, you nailed it.

Just as a side note here, the Saints aren't blowing out their "easy" opponents either. Look at yesterday's game vs. Carolina. The Saints record? 4-1.

28. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Pointy, a great post.

I'll bet even if we were 5-0 right now without a "blow out" win, people would still be complaining.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Despite their record, Carolina is no longer a doormat team....... #imjustsaying

30. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    As you know, I was in Denver for the game yesterday. When Teblow (or as I like to refer him as, the "Messiah") came in, you wouldn't believe how loud it got.

After the game, I heard a Denver fan say that he was never this satisfied with a loss. I looked at my friend just as another Charger fan piped up and said "so, you're lowering your expectations?". No reply from that Bronco fan.

• Like Like x 1