1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Impact of Flukers potential move to Guard

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Jan 2, 2015.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    @UTkrasovic: D.J. Fluker to guard? Chargers have a lot to weigh.
    http://t.co/TcbwPPWldo

When NFL teams studied Alabama lineman D.J. Fluker two years ago, some clubs penciled him at guard though he’d played only tackle for the Crimson Tide.

For the Chargers, who drafted him 11th overall, Fluker has played only at tackle in his two seasons.

He’s proved durable, starting 33 of 34 games. With Fluker in the lineup, the Chargers have compiled a 19-14 win-loss record that includes the franchise’s only playoff victory in the last six years.

The Chargers won't be part of the Super Bowl tournament that kicks off this weekend. Taking stock, executives and coaches are plotting a course for 2015.

There's one option the team is seriously weighing for the first time – moving Fluker, to guard.

Fluker has never played guard. Not in high school, not in college.

Asked about guard last week, the 23-year-old said he'd do whatever's asked.

“It is what it is,” he said. “If it happens, it happens. If it doesn’t, I can still play tackle.”

2. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    I'm willing to bet Fluke stays at tackle. Unless they land a great RT in free agency or through the draft, they are going to coach him up and hope he turns the corner. I still think he has the skills. It's really just a matter of whether or not he can learn better technique. The 3rd year is when alot of players make a huge leap, so we'll see. You can't be too quick to give up on a guy. Remember King Dunlap didn't have anywhere near as good a start to his career as Fluker, and he turned out OK.

3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Watch out, there is a mad bomber out on the loose!!!!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    One thing I'll say is moving him to RG is not "giving up" on a guy. It's where a LOT of people (myself included) projected him playing anyway at this level, and in the right scheme he could be a force to be reckoned with.

Another thing, Dunlap had only started 7 games trough the first 3 years of his career. So it's a difficult career arch to compare to Fluker who has already started 34 games in 2 years.

5. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Until we see it and the Bolts announce it it's just talk and nothing more. The shift could work out well or be a flop only time will tell.

6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Agreed. I think it has a lot to do with who falls to us in the draft. It's pretty OT heavy.

7. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +275
    So what I'm hearing is that Fluker is going to steal Jeremy Clary's job? I can almost hear Loren shouting "tell me it isn't so!" Whatever happened with Clary, I know he got IR'd but is he still a Charger?

8. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I was in the minority when we lost Vasquez to Denver and I thought that we lost him as he was just about coming together! Don't want to see us making the same mistake with Fluker. One very good Rookie year and one bad sophomore year. The jury is still out but I can't fathom if at RG, he'll be any worse that Troutman (not exactly a good gauge) but I want him to be better than Vasquez was, which is agin, not saying very much!

9. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I think he'll be invited back to camp if he's not going to hang up his laces before, but I just don't see him making the final squad if they go heavily to stock up on OL in the draft and FA.

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    We didn't move Vaz from RG, he was good almost from day 1, and his contract just expired. This is a very different situation.

11. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Better O-line will also give RM a big boost, dude runs a gauntlet just about every time he runs with the ball.

12. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    Where did I say that we moved him to or away from RG? I was for retaining him. That's all!

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Okay that makes sense, I just didn't understand what you meant, or what it had to do with moving Fluker.

14. MetalZelda32

MetalZelda32 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    LT - Dunlap
    LG - Chris Watt
    C - Legursky/Wisniewski
    RG - Fluker
    RT - Bulaga

My dream.

15. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    ^^^Add about 4 or 5 more names to the Center position. Unless the line gets fixed, Centers will continue to fall.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    So every mock draft I see has us tacking the tackle from Alabama, ogembi

17. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    SOURCES: San Diego Chargers will move D.J. Fluker to Guard in 2015
    By John Gennaro

On Monday morning I wrote this article, which included this about San Diego Chargers RT D.J. Fluker:

You'll notice that I have Fluker as the RG instead of the RT. I know I may be in the minority here, but I can no longer think of the man as an Offensive Tackle. He has shown, time and time again, that he's not quick enough to handle pass rushers. It's led to a ton of sacks and a lot of false start penalties as he literally has to get off the line before the pass rusher to stand a chance at stopping him. That's not a Tackle. I know he's tall, but Fluker would be a monster of a right guard and would help the interior rushing attack quite a bit, so that's where I'm putting him.

On Monday evening, a friend of mine from within the organization sent me a message telling me that the team viewed Fluker in the same way. In fact, this person said that the team had decided with a few weeks left in the regular season that Fluker would be moved to Guard over the offseason and that would be where he remained for the rest of his career with the team.

Before going crazy and making a post about it right then, based off the word of one person at Chargers Park, I waited. On Wednesday, two things happened.

The Second Source
    @BFTB_Chargers The Chargers intend to move Fluker to OG when the time is right. They like him better there. I have this from a valid source.

— Aaron M (@AMChiefs) December 31, 2014

I got in touch with the writer of this tweet and, without naming names, we confirmed that his source was different from mine, but was also someone from within the organization. That what we call a "confirmed" story.

The Public Acknowledgement
    Telesco just said Fluker's future is at RT OR GUARD. Said he could be a really good guard...

— Kyle Posey (@The_KP_Show) December 31, 2014

At Tom Telesco's end of the year press conference, the Chargers GM talked up FLuker's abilities as a guard and said that he could have a future there.

Now, he said Fluker could be a RT or a guard next season, but that is mostly just covering his own ***. What if the team can't find an upgrade at RT this offseason? What if the guy they sign in free agency gets seriously injured in training camp? There are ways in which Fluker could remain at RT in 2015, and so it makes sense for Telesco to make that clear. However, in what should be perceived as a very intelligent move, the Chargers have made the decision to try to move Fluker to one of the guard spots, where his talents are better suited.

18. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    To do that would mean taking a better (gamble) tackle in the draft, or getting one in Free Agency.

When does Free Agency start again?

19. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,024
    I don't think that they'll chance another Rookie at the RT position, if I'm reading the tealeaves correctly (note River's tone in his final presser) I think that they'll go for a known commodity in FA and will also pick up an OT in the draft to develop (if so, I don't expect a 1st or 2nd rounder for this purpose)

With Denver waning, the Chargers do have a great chance next year to take AFCW.

Not soon enough ;)

20. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Early March I believe

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    With Watt and Robinson to duel it out for the starting center job, sliding Fluke over and bringing in a Free agent RT opens the draft up to make some big time moves to strengthen the club. It makes big time sense to move Fluke if they're sure it will work out.

• Like Like x 1
  22. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +375
    Draft a future LT/RT and have a vetern FA plug the LG and RT position. That way we have depth and have quality starters for the future.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    It makes even more sense to dump Troutman. ;)

24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Exactly my point. Dunlap was so bad he couldn't even get on the field through 3 seasons. And once he figured out how to truly use his size to his advantage, he became a solid tackle. I think Fluke still has a chance to do the same. The Chargers did not keep Fluke at tackle for 2 years because they projected him to be a guard. I'll be surprised if Fluke is not our starting right tackle next season.

25. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Really? That was your point?

A) Dunlap was a 7th round draft pick, so unlike Fluker he wasn't just handed a starting job.

B) FAR MORE importantly he was projected as a LT based on his height and weight (6'9 310), and the starting left tackle for the Philadelphia Eagles at that time (and still today) was All Pro Jason Peters, who I believe has been to 7 Pro Bowls now.

Dunlap was a depth pick meant only as a backup for Peters. And RT was solid with Justice and Herremans so there was really no need to put Dunlap there as he was a low pick and unproven commodity.

Two very different career archs between Fluker and Dunlap.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Or move him back over to his normal position as a left guard.

27. Fossil

Fossil BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +389
    Either way, looks like an upgrade for the right side of the line. Find a tackle better tackle in FA or draft and slide DJ over, or find a solid guard and don't move him. Options abound.

28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I think our standards should be higher than "couldn't be worse than Rinehart." ;)

29. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Troutman may end up being a washout but I think they at least give him a shot to compete for a spot this summer. Who knows what is going to happen or how the Bolt inner circle is thinking in terms of players???............... Far as I know Telescopio likes everyone on the team.

30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    The nearly $1 million they will be paying him could be better spent in my view, but we do have a lot of needs this offseason. No need to cut him before we have an upgrade onboard.

Reyes is in the same boat. We need to upgrade the bookend to Liuget as well.